Schedule Change bumping pax off non-cancelled flight

Old Oct 5, 15, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, DL, AA
Schedule Change bumping pax off non-cancelled flight

Title is slightly misleading, given that the flight I was bumped off had a flight number change (same operator: Air Wisconsin dba American Eagle) and a few minutes of schedule change, but kept aircraft type.

Original itinerary

YYZ to PHL
Flight Details Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 7:54 PM
American Airlines Flight Number: AA3934
To: Philadelphia, PA (PHL-Philadelphia Intl.) Arrive: 9:20 PM
Operated By: AIR WISCONSIN AS AMERICAN EAGLE(AA)

PHL to SDQ
Flight Details Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 9:45 AM
American Airlines Flight Number: AA0847
From: Philadelphia, PA (PHL-Philadelphia Intl.) Depart: 9:45 AM
To: Santo Domingo (SDQ-Las Americas Intl.) Arrive: 2:30 PM

Proposed Changed Itinerary

YYZ TO PHL
Flight Change Details Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 6:29 AM
American Airlines Flight Number: AA 3769
To: Philadelphia, PA (PHL-Philadelphia Intl.) Arrive: 8:13 AM
Operated By: AIR WISCONSIN AS AMERICAN EAGLE(AA)

PHl to SDQ
Flight Change Details Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 9:35 AM
American Airlines Flight Number: AA 0842
From: Philadelphia, PA (PHL-Philadelphia Intl.) Depart: 9:35 AM
To: Santo Domingo (SDQ-Las Americas Intl.) Arrive: 2:14 PM

The (inconvenient - overnight connection in PHL) routing I had purchased originally was the cheapest I had found to get to SDQ that weekend. At the time, I was hoping for a schedule change that would allow me to get a more convenient schedule, but had planned for the overnight.

Yesterday I got the schedule change notification above. By that time, I already knew I would have to cancel the itinerary (non-refundable fare), so was hoping for something like this. I arranged for a refund with no problems.

But WHY I was bumped off AA3934 on December 19 remains a mystery to me. Yes, the flight number was just changed to AA3971 for that evening (and is the only YYZ-PHL non-stop on Dec. 19) and it had a minor schedule adjustment. By my account, I assume I could have insisted on being put back on that flight had that been specifically my plan.
Old Oct 5, 15, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by abogdanp View Post

But WHY I was bumped off AA3934 on December 19 remains a mystery to me. Yes, the flight number was just changed to AA3971 for that evening (and is the only YYZ-PHL non-stop on Dec. 19) and it had a minor schedule adjustment. By my account, I assume I could have insisted on being put back on that flight had that been specifically my plan.

My guess it is an automated reaccom... it just saw a later flight that still met MCT.

I would have guessed that the loads on both flights would be taken into account...but the flight it placed you onto now shows Y1. The unloaded flight is Y7, with K6 and L1..so significant open seats.

Heck if they kept your flights unchanged it was a 5 minute change and no refund would have been offered....
Old Oct 5, 15, 2:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I worked at AA for 5 years and NOBODY could explain how the schedule change algorithm worked. I think it was developed in 1968, the programmer retired in 1972, and it's basically a black box at this point.

Just be happy that it worked out for you.
Old Oct 5, 15, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, DL, AA
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
Heck if they kept your flights unchanged it was a 5 minute change and no refund would have been offered....
That's exactly what I was thinking... , though I was not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

To be honest, I kept half expecting when I called in that the agent would see the original flight (almost) still existed and would offer to put me back on it, instead of offering a refund.

Though this mysterious automatic flight re-accommodation can help passengers on non-ref fares who are in a pickle, I can see how it can be a revenue loser for AA, if it creates opportunities to cancel with no penalty. I was planning on paying a change fee and rebook on the day of the flight if no schedule change or IRROPS popped up in the interim.

Search this Thread