Why an earlier check-in time at [Paris CDG]

Old Oct 3, 15, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Why an earlier check-in time at [Paris CDG]

Hi all,

When departing, the arrival time for AA flights at CDG is 180 minutes, which is earlier than the 2 hours in a number of other international locations. CDG is in the list of Recommended check-in times for cities that exceed two hours on the AA website.

Does anybody know the specifics of why there is an earlier arrival time? Is there something I should be aware of when travelling out of CDG?

As an aside, I have a OWS card but cannot remember if there is a priority security lane at CDG. It has been several months since the one and only time I've travelled through CDG.

Simon.

P.S. I"m aware that AA uses the term check-in time. However, I'm definitely referring to arrival time at the airport. I'll already have checked-in online.
Old Oct 3, 15, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
CDG is full of highly motivated employees who never serve passengers slowly, never have long queues, and never misplace your luggage. It is a model of efficiency.

I, too, am shocked, SHOCKED, that they ask you to arrive 3hours before your flight.

Old Oct 3, 15, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Luckily, I'm travelling HBO so I'd only need to go to the AA desk document verification checks on my UK password. Indeed, I presume it'll be fine just to go straight through security and do that document verification in the Admirals Club.
Old Oct 3, 15, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The recommendation is just that. AA publishes minimum bag drop, check-in and gate times. You have no checked luggage so that is irrelevant. If you have done OLCI, that is done and irrelevant. All you must do is be at the gate by T-30.

Failure to meet that deadline does leave you subject to being offloaded. But, that will only happen if the flight is overbooked and at risk of oversale and AA can offload you and not have to seek volunteers or pay IDB to a timely passenger. Generally, you will be permitted to board so long as you are at the gate by the time the flight (not the door) closes, typically T-10.
Old Oct 4, 15, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
They told me 3 hours back in 2001 on my first flight to CDG. The check in desks opened about 3 hours before my flight. Since then, I have always done 1.5-2 hours and have been more than fine. For someone without status, I'd strongly suggest at least 2 hours.
Old Oct 5, 15, 11:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage GLD, DL Silver. SPG, Hyatt, ATK, IHG Gold
Never had a problem with AA departure ops at CDG. Clearing departure docs has always been an adventure for me. I get detailed questions about my itinerary TO France, and they never seem to want to let me leave. Always takes a half hour at least.
Old Oct 5, 15, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
CDG is full of highly motivated employees who never serve passengers slowly, never have long queues, and never misplace your luggage. It is a model of efficiency.
Nor do they ever strike or get angry!
Old Oct 5, 15, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
I find CDG to be one of the most poorly designed and confusing airports I've ever been to. I always plan extra time for myself there.
Old Oct 5, 15, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
You have to go through AA's security at CDG and I've found that can take 10-30 minutes depending on how they are feeling.
Then immigration where queues can be long as they only ever seem to have 1-2 people working the lines and the automated readers are turned off.
Lastly, security which can be OK, so plenty of time is wise.

Search this Thread