Upgraded at T-100, Downgraded T-2, Security Reasons

Old Oct 2, 15, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK EXP 2MM, National EE, Hertz Plat

On AA 2247 PHX to DFW today, was initially upgraded at T-100. Received a notification of a seat change from FC to Economy at T-2 on the way to the airport. Went to the TA and she did a lot of typing and called a Supv. Told me to go to the gate and talk to them, I shouldn't have been the one as there are Plat and Gold that should be first. Went to GA and there was a conference and a lot of looking and typing. They were all a bit nervous but of course I made no scene or had any anger. I asked what happened and was told that sometimes AA needs to do things, and due to security cannot reveal why. I said oh a FAM and got a smile. Now they gave me a $300 voucher and bumped someone from MCE for a better seat so I can't be too upset. But they also said I was picked as the "last booked ticket upgraded". Now I did not argue but wouldn't I still trump any Plat and Gold. I can only assume there were Plat and Gold in FC because the TA said that. I did send a brief note asking Cust Svc to look at the process as the gate did tell me to write in as well.

Thanks.

Last edited by JSSAUCE; Oct 2, 15 at 4:06 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 2, 15, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I was flying PHX/DFW and got a voucher for $300 for being downgraded from F to Y I'd feel quite lucky. Is that even a meal flighty anymore. You can always get a free drink and snack in Y as an EXP and some FAs will continue to comp you well than just one of each.
Old Oct 2, 15, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
If I was flying PHX/DFW and got a voucher for $300 for being downgraded from F to Y I'd feel quite lucky. Is that even a meal flighty anymore. You can always get a free drink and snack in Y as an EXP and some FAs will continue to comp you well than just one of each.
Yep, The voucher is great as they could have just said sorry. The FC FA came and apologized and served me a drink. They also let me board early. All in all handled very well. I just am curious as to the exact procedure. I could have been the only EXP and last booked.

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 15, 5:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What seat were you in when you were upgraded?
Old Oct 2, 15, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I am almost 100% certain 3F, but it could have been 3D, on a A321.
Old Oct 2, 15, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if AA needed OP's assigned seat, it ought to have DG a lesser mortal to Y and moved OP to the vacant F seat.

Perhaps why it paid the overly generous customer service gesture.
Old Oct 2, 15, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Even if AA needed OP's assigned seat, it ought to have DG a lesser mortal to Y and moved OP to the vacant F seat.

Perhaps why it paid the overly generous customer service gesture.
While I was not told outright, I took from the conversations there were Gold & Platinum in FC so that's why I am wondering about the procedure.

And to think I even bought a refundable fare vs my typical lowest fare.
Oh well, nothing a "few drinks" on the DFW-ORD won't cure here in the AC and on board the next flight.
Old Oct 2, 15, 6:44 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
JD, since you asked this question... is there a pattern to DGing F pax in (noticed) FAM or "security" scenarios?
Old Oct 2, 15, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
JD, since you asked this question... is there a pattern to DGing F pax in (noticed) FAM or "security" scenarios?
Lots of anecdotes in various threads; they seem to point to a forward aisle seat (such as 3D) generally being targeted.
Old Oct 2, 15, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's quite possible the Golds and Plats were on paid FC tickets.
Old Oct 2, 15, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
It's quite possible the Golds and Plats were on paid FC tickets.
Or paid with miles rather than being there on a complimentary upgrade.
Old Oct 2, 15, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMN57 View Post
Or paid with miles rather than being there on a complimentary upgrade.
Good points.

There are now 5000 bonus miles in my account, no description yet but I am assuming Customer Service related. Now complaints from me, I feel I made out very well!
Old Oct 2, 15, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I tend to upgrade every possible flight, I'd gladly trade my first class seat for MCE + $300 voucher + 5000 miles on such a short flight.
Old Oct 3, 15, 9:58 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by JSSAUCE View Post
Good points.

There are now 5000 bonus miles in my account, no description yet but I am assuming Customer Service related. Now complaints from me, I feel I made out very well!
Also worth noting that the OP seemed to have handled the situation graciously, without a DYKWIA fit. $300 for AA's blunder, 5K for being decent about it.
Old Oct 3, 15, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Danwriter View Post
Also worth noting that the OP seemed to have handled the situation graciously, without a DYKWIA fit. $300 for AA's blunder, 5K for being decent about it.
Yep, I almost never lose my temper or pull any DYKWIA in any situation. My philosophy is the you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Even my letter to Cust Svc was I fully understand downgrades, just curious about the procedure as the gate seemed unsure and even told me to write. I even joked with the GA about being the unlucky one with all my flying, tried to put her at ease because she seemed pretty nervous and started off by saying please don't yell at me but... I told her I would never do that. I am by far one of the most easy to get along with and please customers.

To close the loop, the points posted as Customer Service Bonus. I was talking with my friends in the ORD AC this morning, both the US and AA staff, I know many of them fairly well, and the one lady who is very knowledgeable said she was almost certain it was last booked regardless of status, "but of course everyone does their own thing". She also said that is the US philosophy of downgrading and giving vouchers. I was not complaining, we were just conversing as we always do about our jobs, the family, ect. Not to go off topic, but she had very interesting things to say about the new corporate philosophy and leadership, even the old AA less senior leaders. I always get a glimpse of what the line level employees are saying and thinking.

Thanks.

Last edited by JSSAUCE; Oct 3, 15 at 12:50 pm Reason: Spelling

Search this Thread