Wiki Posts
Search

paid J peace of mind [downgauged - lost 4 J seats]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Confirm is a bad verb to use here. You are all confirmed on the flight - valid seat assignments or not. This has specific legal protections. Seat assignments are not guaranteed - not for anybody. Yes, you want seat assignments, preferably together, in the business cabin as may be made available on your confirmed flight.

OK, then perhaps my verbage is confusing and I apologize (but truly thank you all for this learning experience). So we should all be confirmed on the flight in J. At this point, NOT sitting together in J, I can deal with. I just wanted definition that we would all be on the flight.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by the phoenix
That is what the agent on the phone told me. Im gonna have to call again later!

But if the seat map is showing availability, then they should confirm my seat, no?
Before you call, have you checked on aa.com to make sure you can't switch the seat assignments?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OK, then perhaps my verbage is confusing and I apologize (but truly thank you all for this learning experience). So we should all be confirmed on the flight in J. At this point, NOT sitting together in J, I can deal with. I just wanted definition that we would all be on the flight.
If the seat map for your flight is pretty empty, you should be able to move the seats on line. Do this now ot get seats together and NOT in rows that might not exist on some aircraft types.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Do not call AA. As there are seats open for assignment on your flight, grab those seats for your family. If they aren't exactly what you want, still grab what you want. Make certain that the seats exist on both aircraft types.

This does not guarantee you a seat in J. AA may still boot you if everybody else is traveling on a higher fare basis. But, dislodging you is harder.

If you can't assign the seats, call AA and simply ask for help in assigning the seats.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
This is for AA 1596 JFK-SXM on Jan 17, D code fare.

Ok, so then Im not nuts. I should be concerned. The AAgent left me with the impression that as long as we check in early, all is well.

Truly appreciate all this feedback. I just want to know how to handle this if I call them back tonight
Checking Expertflyer, AA 1596 does not at this time appear to be oversold and is currently wide open for sale of tickets. The flight is shown as a 757 with the following availability in business: J7 D7 I5.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Do not call AA. As there are seats open for assignment on your flight, grab those seats for your family. If they aren't exactly what you want, still grab what you want. Make certain that the seats exist on both aircraft types.

This does not guarantee you a seat in J. AA may still boot you if everybody else is traveling on a higher fare basis. But, dislodging you is harder.

If you can't assign the seats, call AA and simply ask for help in assigning the seats.
aa.com is not allowing me to choose the seats. I only have my seat, the 3 others are not able to be chosen.

This is so screwy. I JUST looked for seats in J for that flight on AA.com for 4. AA.com says there are no seats left in that cabin.

Thanks Jerry for your help as well. I understand J7 means there are 7 seats in biz, but what are D7 I5?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

AARRRRRGHH!! Im so unbelievely sorry!!!

Im so stressed that my dates are screwed up

This is for AA 1596 SXM-JFK on Jan 23, D code fare.

Ugh, Im so sorry, that's why you guys are getting all this info. Please accept my apologies!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Okay with that information in mind, on the 23rd, you are correct, they are showing no available seats in business class on 1596. There is availability in economy. So if no seats opened up, then they would be downgraded and entitled to downgrade compensation.

At this point though, I would leave it alone, but keep a close eye to see if seats open up (Expert Flyer alert?), which is entirely possible.

There is availability on flights connecting through MIA that leave earlier than your flight. If you have to have certainty right now, then I would call and ask to be switched to one of those flights. No guarantees though that they will make the change as overbooked in advance does not necessarily mean oversold at departure.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you sir.

Did I mention, Im a dork!! So sorry I messed up those dates!

meanwhile I am looking up PAID SEAT TERMS AND CONDITIONS to educate myself..
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Call AA. There is availability in J departing SXM at 10 am, connecting in MIA to JFK. Also via CLT departing SXM at 5:20. if the agent doesn't want to change your res, hang up and call again. (HUACA)
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iplaybass
Call AA. There is availability in J departing SXM at 10 am, connecting in MIA to JFK. Also via CLT departing SXM at 5:20. if the agent doesn't want to change your res, hang up and call again. (HUACA)
Thanks. Keep y'all posted.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
This is for AA 1596 JFK-SXM on Jan 23, D code fare.

Ok, so then Im not nuts. I should be concerned. The AAgent left me with the impression that as long as we check in early, all is well.

Truly appreciate all this feedback. I just want to know how to handle this if I call them back tonight
The agents are trained to keep you calm until it is too late. Like little frogs in the pot of slowly boiling water.....

Act now, IMO

Originally Posted by iplaybass

Good advice.

OP understand the HUCA concept. Be pleasant, but dont accept any solution that appears to be suboptimal- they may make an accommodation ONCE.

Also make sure you know the options, which flights, which days. I might be OK with the day later...not sure how long the vaca is and all that.

Finally, you paid a lot for D seats (please tell us what the fare code basis is- not just the single letter code, but the entire sequence, should be 5-7 letters and numbers). You should document the price today for a cheap economy class fare. then if they do downgrade you, you can point out "I paid 1200, the fare had I booked economy is 500, thats 700 per ticket" and fight them on it. While they may have rules that seem to describe less, you can chose not to follow those rules. (For now, ignore what ashill posted, that is for instant upgrade fares and there is NO evidence that is what you are flying...but do tell us your Fare code to be sure.)
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm not at all sure "instant upgrade" fares would be under D.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm not at all sure "instant upgrade" fares would be under D.
Agree in general, but Im not sure.

the terminology of 'fare class' and 'booking class' and the imprecision with how these are used has me being cautious with advice.

Id want to be sure he is telling us the full fare code and not something AA.com is being sloppy about.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

about to call again. Searched for longer fare code. Where exactly do I look? All I see is D on the e receipt

Further research shows that D is also known as RTW or Y26nCUP /

So its discounted business but now Im assuming its like a Y UP fare?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.