Mileage run logistical advice [turnaround advice for SJU]

Old Oct 1, 15, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Mileage run logistical advice [turnaround advice for SJU]

I am in the process of booking a mileage run to secure/finalize my status match. It will be a same day turn to SJU. I read that it might be better to book as two one-ways as if the connection gets tight you can have check-in issues if on a round-trip ticket. Can you not OLCI for the return if you have not yet flown the outbound leg? Booking as two one ways is slightly more expensive, so I am curious if this is a real issue and I should just bite the cost difference or not worry and just go for the round-trip?
Old Oct 1, 15, 9:15 am

I booked a MSY-IAH-MSY (through DFW) this past January for segments and booked it as a roundtrip. After flying MSY-DFW I asked the DFW gate agent for the boarding passes for the return flights from IAH since 'I was just going down for a day'. Agent was able to print them out easily. Save the few bucks from two one-ways and book the roundtrip IMO
Old Oct 1, 15, 10:24 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
You can OLCI for the return portion prior to traveling on the outbound. However, I've found that you need to wait until after 24 hours prior to the departure time of the last segment.
Old Oct 1, 15, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
You can OLCI for the return portion prior to traveling on the outbound. However, I've found that you need to wait until after 24 hours prior to the departure time of the last segment.
The last segment or the first segment of the return portion of the RT?
Old Oct 1, 15, 10:33 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
The last segment of the RT. Otherwise, the system gets confused and you won't get your last boarding pass (web) or it won't allow the check-in (android app).
Old Oct 1, 15, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just kiosk check in that morning and the kiosk will print all BPs for that day, including the return. I do it all the time.
Old Oct 1, 15, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
SJU is one of my favorite MR destinations!
Old Oct 2, 15, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Thank you all for the advice. R/T fare dropped a little more even overnight, so I went ahead and booked it. Despite being an active frequent flier, and FT member for about decade this will be my first true mileage run. Pretty excited considering it will be over 15 hours of sitting in a tube going effectively no where.

Search this Thread