Low airfare in F DFW-MAD

 
Old Sep 30, 15, 7:53 pm
  #1  
txp
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Programs: Former CO OnePass, UA, AA, DL, Starwood & other hotel chains
Posts: 930
Low airfare in F DFW-MAD

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to alert you that today the airfare DFW-MAD is $2,300 RT in F class. And, the airfare in J is just about $2,000. The only restriction is a a Sunday stay. I have been watching this for over a month and never saw anything that low, so I booked all my travel tonight. Yesterday the same fare was $500 higher. The fare is not likely to last, so if you have business travel to Europe, MAD might be an interesting gateway. Also IB is running some very low J fares out of MAD to many cities in the EU.

I wonder why the fares are so low? Sign of a nearby recession?
txp is offline  
Old Sep 30, 15, 9:47 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,162
Sign of old F ;-)
Fare basis is INN1S1E1/EUUP
So it is effectively a cheap I fare that books into F. I think the DFW-MAD flight is the only plane with F that you can use this fare on (as it's only valid on AA or US metal). So as long as there is an old 777 on that route, I guess you can book this.
stephem is offline  
Old Sep 30, 15, 9:56 pm
  #3  
txp
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Programs: Former CO OnePass, UA, AA, DL, Starwood & other hotel chains
Posts: 930
Originally Posted by stephem View Post
Sign of old F ;-)
Fare basis is INN1S1E1/EUUP
So it is effectively a cheap I fare that books into F. I think the DFW-MAD flight is the only plane with F that you can use this fare on (as it's only valid on AA or US metal). So as long as there is an old 777 on that route, I guess you can book this.
Correct. It is the old F, and I knew exactly what I was buying. However, it is better than J on UA, my other alternative. You are also correct in that it seems to be an instant upgrade from business. Probably worth it given the flat bed in old F and the sub-par old J.

I should add that I am not expecting F-level service similar to foreign carriers. I am expecting US-carrier business-class service, but with a better seat. Still, a good deal.

Last edited by txp; Sep 30, 15 at 10:09 pm
txp is offline  
Old Sep 30, 15, 10:11 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,162
Isnt AA suing the seat manufacturer for the 777 conversion because they cannot make seats fast enough? This fare may be a reflection that they realize they wont have a refub'd plane on this route anytime soon. And agree, it's way better option to have old F than old J, and many other Js for that matter.

Originally Posted by txp View Post
Correct. It is the old F, and I knew exactly what I was buying. However, it is better than J on UA, my other alternative. You are also correct in that it seems to be an instant upgrade from business. Probably worth it given the flat bed in old F and the sub-par old J.
stephem is offline  
Old Oct 1, 15, 7:08 pm
  #5  
txp
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Programs: Former CO OnePass, UA, AA, DL, Starwood & other hotel chains
Posts: 930
Originally Posted by stephem View Post
Isnt AA suing the seat manufacturer for the 777 conversion because they cannot make seats fast enough? This fare may be a reflection that they realize they wont have a refub'd plane on this route anytime soon. And agree, it's way better option to have old F than old J, and many other Js for that matter.
This is probably one of the reasons. Another reason could be just a fare war. I say that because the low fare is now gone. The new F fare is $500 higher. Still a bargain, but not a great bargain!
txp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread