FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Low airfare in F DFW-MAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1713708-low-airfare-f-dfw-mad.html)

txp Sep 30, 2015 7:53 pm

Low airfare in F DFW-MAD

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to alert you that today the airfare DFW-MAD is $2,300 RT in F class. And, the airfare in J is just about $2,000. The only restriction is a a Sunday stay. I have been watching this for over a month and never saw anything that low, so I booked all my travel tonight. Yesterday the same fare was $500 higher. The fare is not likely to last, so if you have business travel to Europe, MAD might be an interesting gateway. Also IB is running some very low J fares out of MAD to many cities in the EU.

I wonder why the fares are so low? Sign of a nearby recession?

stephem Sep 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Sign of old F ;-)
Fare basis is INN1S1E1/EUUP
So it is effectively a cheap I fare that books into F. I think the DFW-MAD flight is the only plane with F that you can use this fare on (as it's only valid on AA or US metal). So as long as there is an old 777 on that route, I guess you can book this.

txp Sep 30, 2015 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by stephem (Post 25501912)
Sign of old F ;-)
Fare basis is INN1S1E1/EUUP
So it is effectively a cheap I fare that books into F. I think the DFW-MAD flight is the only plane with F that you can use this fare on (as it's only valid on AA or US metal). So as long as there is an old 777 on that route, I guess you can book this.

Correct. It is the old F, and I knew exactly what I was buying. However, it is better than J on UA, my other alternative. You are also correct in that it seems to be an instant upgrade from business. Probably worth it given the flat bed in old F and the sub-par old J.

I should add that I am not expecting F-level service similar to foreign carriers. I am expecting US-carrier business-class service, but with a better seat. Still, a good deal.

stephem Sep 30, 2015 10:11 pm

Isnt AA suing the seat manufacturer for the 777 conversion because they cannot make seats fast enough? This fare may be a reflection that they realize they wont have a refub'd plane on this route anytime soon. And agree, it's way better option to have old F than old J, and many other Js for that matter.

Originally Posted by txp (Post 25501933)
Correct. It is the old F, and I knew exactly what I was buying. However, it is better than J on UA, my other alternative. You are also correct in that it seems to be an instant upgrade from business. Probably worth it given the flat bed in old F and the sub-par old J.

txp Oct 1, 2015 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by stephem (Post 25501967)
Isnt AA suing the seat manufacturer for the 777 conversion because they cannot make seats fast enough? This fare may be a reflection that they realize they wont have a refub'd plane on this route anytime soon. And agree, it's way better option to have old F than old J, and many other Js for that matter.

This is probably one of the reasons. Another reason could be just a fare war. I say that because the low fare is now gone. The new F fare is $500 higher. Still a bargain, but not a great bargain!