Question/advice about same-day change fee impacting fare class

Old Sep 30, 15, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Question/advice about same-day change fee impacting fare class

Hi everyone,

I'm flying next week and wanted to switch my flights from an O class ticket to something higher for the extra EQPs (I'm doing the LinkedIn Status Challenge and could use the extra 1,250 EQPs from going up to a higher discount economy class).

Would it make more sense to pay the $200 change fee plus the fare change now, or wait until 24 hours of flying and do a same-day change? I'm going early on a business trip so I don't have any time constraints on the day of my flights.

Thanks for the input and sorry if this is already on a different thread!
Old Sep 30, 15, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do it in advance if that's your goal.
Old Sep 30, 15, 8:40 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
I might consider upgrading to first instead of upfaring, since you would not have to pay the change fee to upgrade to a higher cabin and would get 2.0 EQP instead of 1.0 EQP.
Old Sep 30, 15, 7:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Even if you used Same-Day Flight Change to change to a higher fare class on a different flight, you would still earn EQPs based on the original fare class purchased. You cannot SDFC into a higher coach inventory on the same flight.

Generally, SDFC books into the same inventory or the lowest available coach fare if the original inventory is unavailable.

If boosting your EQP earning is your goal, you should have the ticket reissued, which would be subject to the $200.00 change fee and fare difference. On some fares, the change fee is waived if you rebook into a higher cabin, so that might be an option to explore as well.
Old Oct 3, 15, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
Even if you used Same-Day Flight Change to change to a higher fare class on a different flight, you would still earn EQPs based on the original fare class purchased. You cannot SDFC into a higher coach inventory on the same flight.

Generally, SDFC books into the same inventory or the lowest available coach fare if the original inventory is unavailable.

If boosting your EQP earning is your goal, you should have the ticket reissued, which would be subject to the $200.00 change fee and fare difference. On some fares, the change fee is waived if you rebook into a higher cabin, so that might be an option to explore as well.
If I can find a flight that only has inventory in V, would I be able to SDFC into that?
Old Oct 3, 15, 7:52 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by densign View Post
If I can find a flight that only has inventory in V, would I be able to SDFC into that?
SDFC comes from a specific inventory, E. You can do a SDFC as long as there is E inventory. You will earn mileage according to your originally booked inventory class.
Old Oct 7, 15, 10:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by densign View Post
Yes, but it will not change your EQP. Use SDFC if you just want to change your departure time; have the ticket reissued altogether if you also want the EQP.

Search this Thread