compensation for a long layover

Old Sep 28, 15, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Hi,
I already tried searching, there's too much noise due to my poor search skills (I am sure I am not using right terms). I apologize if this has been answered.

I have an American Airlines ticket that I booked back in May. They called me last week (September) saying that they've changed one leg of the flight. They offered me an alternative (and only one alternative) that requires me spending the entire night (15 hours) at JFK. I asked for hotel but they refused saying they do not provide hotels for advanced booking.

The thing is, this isn't an advanced booking. This is them changing the itinerary 4 months after charging me, when all my other plans are already made and I have no flexibility to change them without incurring cost.

Is AA required to provide a hotel? Thanks.

Z
Old Sep 28, 15, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

No.

They are, however, required to refund your money if you'd prefer to book with a different carrier. You can also research alternative routings (if any) on AA, and request one of those instead. AA might or might not give you the routing you request.

What is your current itinerary?

Welcome to FT.
Old Sep 28, 15, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You have several choices:

1. If you can find a better routing than what AA has offered, you should ask for that. They are fairly acommodating.

2. You may cancel for a full refund (not a credit, but a refund to your CC) and then book whatever you want (or not book at all).

3. You may accept what is offered. But, you are on the hook for a hotel. It is possible that your travel insurance may cover the hotel due to the schedule change, but you will need to read the policy terms very carefully as most policies would not.
Old Sep 28, 15, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you, really appreciate it.

Unfortunately refund doesn't help since it's three of us who've made all other bookings based on this itinerary. Cost of rebooking is higher now.

Itinerary is :-
4-Nov 10:05PM BA 98 from YYZ to LHR (connection) and then to MAD (BA 510)

Return
Nov 15 11:15AM Iberia 3301 from CMN to MAD (connection); BA4169 from MAD to JFK (connection) and then from JFK to YYZ. They cancelled the JFK->YYZ run, so now want us to take Nov 16 9:45AM flight.

We are actually taking a train from Fez, Morocco to Casablanca just to catch the flight since we couldn't find anything out of Fez.

If I can find another itinerary that takes me there with my friends on the same flight but then I can visit Amsterdam for a couple of days then I'd certainly be willing to pay more.
Old Sep 29, 15, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Zee H View Post

Unfortunately refund doesn't help since it's three of us who've made all other bookings based on this itinerary. Cost of rebooking is higher now.

Return
Nov 15 11:15AM Iberia 3301 from CMN to MAD (connection); BA4169 from MAD to JFK (connection) and then from JFK to YYZ. They cancelled the JFK->YYZ run, so now want us to take Nov 16 9:45AM flight.

We are actually taking a train from Fez, Morocco to Casablanca just to catch the flight since we couldn't find anything out of Fez.

If I can find another itinerary that takes me there with my friends on the same flight but then I can visit Amsterdam for a couple of days then I'd certainly be willing to pay more.
This is one of those scenarios that has always irked me about airlines. If you had been the one to change the flights, you would have been charged. Sure, you can cancel (for free, how generous ), but any other flight will have very likely gone up in price.

Unfortunately, the other posters are right: Your choices are very limited. Sorry.

It does, however, sound like you have an awesome vacation planned. I hope you really enjoy it.

Mike
Old Sep 29, 15, 12:40 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Would AA be willing to put you on an AT (Royal Air Maroc) flight out of CMN? Then you could do BA through LHR. For example, you could do CMN-BRU (AT) and then BRU-LHR-YYZ (BA).

Otherwise, you really don't have a choice but to overnight in MAD, LON or NYC.
Old Sep 29, 15, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Did you buy this ticket on aa.com, on ba.com, or elsewhere?
Based on your itinerary, it looks to me like you have a BA ticket (which includes one segment on AA), and not an AA ticket. If that's the case, AA may be less accommodating than we're used to, and you may have to call BA to see if they can help out.
Old Sep 29, 15, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a 7:45pm AA flight on LGA-YYZ on the 15th. I didn't check your incoming flight to JFK but maybe that's a better option than the overnight, if the timing works. I'd probably want at least 2-3 hrs to make that connection.
Old Sep 29, 15, 6:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Zee H View Post

Return

I'm guessing the MAD-JFK BA flight is a code sghare operated by AA (or IB)?

Imo you're styck. Unfairly, but stuck is stuck.

Not many reasonable and decent accommodations near JFK, AFAIK, but I'd start looking and getting an idea of what's near, has transport, check for better pricing on bidding sites and the like (room for 3 or 4 capacity) and book it at some point you are fairly sure they won't change the schedule - or book cancellable via hotel site. Several hotels exist nearby in South Ozone Park.

Search this Thread