Wiki Posts
Search

my name was not on the upgrade list

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP SPG PLT
my name was not on the upgrade list

I felt strange that my upgrade request was not cleared for the coming TATL flight departing from DFW, which was not busy at the time of booking. Called EXP desk and the agent (and confirmed at the airport) told me that she can not find any upgrade request for this flight. She was not talking about the upgrade list at the airport. She said I did not make any request as far as she can see in the record.

This was a surprise. I remember the call to EXP desk 2 month ago and my conversation with the rep to request the upgrade for this flight. Mistakes can happen. It can be due to system. It can be due to human error (for example she moved to the next customer without completing the procedure). But I think both chance is very slim.

Have you ever encountered this?

Solution is easy, I think. Just call the next day, or even right after the first call, to confirm your upgrade request. But still it is annoying, if it can happen at certain frequency.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes, this has happened to me when I was EXP and as PLT. I did call AA again to check on my upgrade request status so both situations it was caught before the day of the flight.

The impression I got from my experience is that getting on a standby list for the upgrade is not simply clicking one icon on the screen for an agent. It sounded like requires multiple screen procedure where require input of proper information at each screen. My impression is that if some information was missing or incorrect, there is no error message to alarm the agent.

One situation, as EXP I requested SWU on a flight to LHR. If I remember correctly I called back few days later to make sure everything was fine, and the agent told me I am on a standby list and all was fine.

Then later when I was passing through DFW, I asked an AAngel at AC regarding my upgrade request. The AAngel looked up my reservation on the screen and at first the AAngel told me I am still on request and everything was fine. However, the AAngel scrolled down the screen and looked my reservation detail further and at the end had some message. There was something wrong with my upgrade request. The AAngel actually showed me the screen, and the AAngel had to go all the way down my reservation at the end to find the note on my reservation.

What turned out was that my SWU upgrade request cleared. But the agent who processed the request made a mistake on putting my credit card information for taxes and fees purpose. Good thing was that my upgrade was still good and all had to be done was to put my credit card information correctly. I have no idea how long the system would have kept my upgrade. If I did not follow up, was upgrade still good the day of the flight? I do not know.

Since that experience I always make sure to call back occasionally and ask an agent if my upgrade request is all good or not. My impression is that good agents will look at the entire reservation detail, which can be multiple pages on the screen. Some agents will just look at the first screen and simply say all is good.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Yes, this has happened to me when I was EXP and as PLT. I did call AA again to check on my upgrade request status so both situations it was caught before the day of the flight.

The impression I got from my experience is that getting on a standby list for the upgrade is not simply clicking one icon on the screen for an agent. It sounded like requires multiple screen procedure where require input of proper information at each screen. My impression is that if some information was missing or incorrect, there is no error message to alarm the agent.

One situation, as EXP I requested SWU on a flight to LHR. If I remember correctly I called back few days later to make sure everything was fine, and the agent told me I am on a standby list and all was fine.

Then later when I was passing through DFW, I asked an AAngel at AC regarding my upgrade request. The AAngel looked up my reservation on the screen and at first the AAngel told me I am still on request and everything was fine. However, the AAngel scrolled down the screen and looked my reservation detail further and at the end had some message. There was something wrong with my upgrade request. The AAngel actually showed me the screen, and the AAngel had to go all the way down my reservation at the end to find the note on my reservation.

What turned out was that my SWU upgrade request cleared. But the agent who processed the request made a mistake on putting my credit card information for taxes and fees purpose. Good thing was that my upgrade was still good and all had to be done was to put my credit card information correctly. I have no idea how long the system would have kept my upgrade. If I did not follow up, was upgrade still good the day of the flight? I do not know.

Since that experience I always make sure to call back occasionally and ask an agent if my upgrade request is all good or not. My impression is that good agents will look at the entire reservation detail, which can be multiple pages on the screen. Some agents will just look at the first screen and simply say all is good.
Thank you for sharing a good information. Indeed I had impression in this case the agent EXP desk spent less time than agents usually spend for upgrade request using eVIP. So it can happen. I learned it in hard way.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
What turned out was that my SWU upgrade request cleared. But the agent who processed the request made a mistake on putting my credit card information for taxes and fees purpose.
Same thing happened to me with a miles + copay upgrade. The u/g cleared but I never got a confirmation email, so I called back a few days later and it turned out that my ccn was incorrect.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've only had this happen once in the past 5 years, but 10 hours in coach was enough to convince to always call and confirm the upgrade request since then.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingLion
I felt strange that my upgrade request was not cleared for the coming TATL flight departing from DFW, which was not busy at the time of booking. Called EXP desk and the agent (and confirmed at the airport) told me that she can not find any upgrade request for this flight. She was not talking about the upgrade list at the airport. She said I did not make any request as far as she can see in the record.

This was a surprise. I remember the call to EXP desk 2 month ago and my conversation with the rep to request the upgrade for this flight. Mistakes can happen. It can be due to system. It can be due to human error (for example she moved to the next customer without completing the procedure). But I think both chance is very slim.

Have you ever encountered this?

Solution is easy, I think. Just call the next day, or even right after the first call, to confirm your upgrade request. But still it is annoying, if it can happen at certain frequency.
Really wont get into the details of my issue, but I had a SWU request get cancelled by an Agent within the last week for a flight yesterday. I will say that the first 3 EXP agents when I called it to find out why I wasnt on the upgrade list all blamed me for not requesting the upgrade.

I was able to get a copy of my PNR history and it was black and white that AA cancelled it when I called in and had them push through my SWU on another leg in the PNR 5 days prior.

So if you are 100% sure you requested it, there's certainly precedent where AA fouled up and then had multiple agents "mislead" me on it when asked.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If only the reservation showed requested SWU's so we could see them@!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
If only the reservation showed requested SWU's so we could see them@!
I swear one of mine in the past year said that... then it switched back to the N/A or "Call AA" for options.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
I swear one of mine in the past year said that... then it switched back to the N/A or "Call AA" for options.
Yup. It used to say something about being requested, for a very short period of time. As they're going through an overhaul of the display, it would be really nice if they could make this happen again. Currently simply no way to tell, short of calling.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Currently have a 2 segment out, 2 back trip where the SWU has actually cleared for all 4 segments. Bafflingly it shows:

Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:04 am

Slightly different, but I had a reservation and I was talking to the agent about the upgrades on the US segments (AA coded). The last segment was AA operated, and she said I hadn't been added to the upgrade list with my 500-mile certs. Supposedly she added me. At the airport I wasn't on the list.

I don't think there is a way to see with AA before the airport, unlike US where you can use the mobile website to see who is on the list.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Slightly different, but I had a reservation and I was talking to the agent about the upgrades on the US segments (AA coded). The last segment was AA operated, and she said I hadn't been added to the upgrade list with my 500-mile certs. Supposedly she added me. At the airport I wasn't on the list.

I don't think there is a way to see with AA before the airport, unlike US where you can use the mobile website to see who is on the list.
You can see the list at 4 hours out on the app.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
You can see the list at 4 hours out on the app.
On the US Airways mobile website you can see it for any flight.
I don't know what you can exactly see on the AA app

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.