Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Can two separate fares be added and combined in a single ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can two separate fares be added and combined in a single ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
You can have all your flights in one PNR and, if necessary, the tickets can be issued separately. In fact it's in the airlines' interest to have everything on one PNR so that they know your arrival flight in case of delays on the incoming. Doesn't mean they'll hold a flight for you but they will be able to offer your seat to a standby if they know you're not going to make it. If a travel agent issues all flights on one ticket to get round the higher through fare, he will get a bill from the airline for combining non-combinable fares.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:54 am
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jreichel
A travel agent using Sabre would be your best support here. They can book AA and IB in one PNR, which leads to each airline seeing the big picture (i. e. the other airline's flights). Makes it much more likely that bags are checked through and that you get protected in case of irrops.
Thanks a lot for this info, and thank everyone else who have opined on this as well. I will contact AMEX to see if they can help me with this.

Incidentally, a side benefit of connecting in MAD instead of Central Europe is the protection in the (unlikely) case of new volcanic activity in Iceland. The MAD-DFW flight operated every day during the summer when the volcano erupted and most other flights were cancelled!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
No, they don't. Trust me, I'm an IATA travel agent and I do it every day. The fare rule you are citing prohibits combining the two fares in one ticket. Nevertheless, it is absolutely no problem and perfectly within the rules to combine the flights in one PNR and issue two tickets.

Such a PNR could look like this:

1 AA 36I 20OCT 2 DFWMAD SS1 1545 0800 21OCT 3
2 IB3480I 21OCT 3 MADGVA SS1 0935 1130
3 IB3493I 28OCT 3 GVAMAD SS1 1835 2040
4 AA 37I 29OCT 4 MADDFW SS1 1115 1600

And the tickets we'd issue would be one on 001 stock for segments 1 and 4 and another one on 075 stock for segments 2 and 3.

Granted, if you book online this would not be possible. But as soon as something semi-complicated like this scenario is needed a human agent produces a much better result.
For my DFW-MIA-UIO-GPS trip, I wanted to fly the MIA-UIO on XL in PE. When I tried to book it on AA's site, it would only allow me to book the entire flight in First. It considered the MIA-UIO first class even though the actual fare confirmed it was a Premium Economy seat.

All under a single PNR, Expedia did allow me to book the domestic AA and XL flights in economy and the international XL flight in PE. After it was ticketed, using the airline's respective booking codes, I was able to pull the entire itinerary in both AA's and XL's websites.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
No, they don't. Trust me, I'm an IATA travel agent and I do it every day. The fare rule you are citing prohibits combining the two fares in one ticket. Nevertheless, it is absolutely no problem and perfectly within the rules to combine the flights in one PNR and issue two tickets.

And the tickets we'd issue would be one on 001 stock for segments 1 and 4 and another one on 075 stock for segments 2 and 3.

Granted, if you book online this would not be possible. But as soon as something semi-complicated like this scenario is needed a human agent produces a much better result.
^ I see agencies do this all the time.

I usually see it with domestic AA flights on a separate ticket than the intercontinental flights, which leads to a surprise for the passenger when the domestic bag fees do apply and we can't thru-check the bag onto a non-oneworld carrier on a separate ticket.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by txp
This means that I would need to buy MAD-GVA from AA? I am not sure I can do this on AA.com. Maybe a travel agent can help?

Thanks!
I recalled, AA, in the not too distant past, had documentation indicating it would protect misconnects on separate OneWorld tickets

Last edited by mvoight; Sep 30, 2015 at 3:41 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

Agree

And, if the ticket had a LHR-USA departure in J or F, the fact that there is an arrival into LHR within 24hrs gets rid of the high APD charge. even on two separate tickets. 1&4 on AA; 2&3 on say BA.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA may protect you, but may well only put you on an AA flight the next day. With a through ticket, if the GVA-MAD flight is impacted, IB will be required to get you to DFW and could rebook you on a flight from GVA-USA

Also, be aware, that this policy is not listed on the consumer AA site, only AA's guide to travel agents
- You are protected on OW travel even if you are on separate tickets and itineraries. It will be the responsibility of the airline that caused the mis-connect to get you to the final destination. This spring was flying Dragon Air (Cathay) from NAN to HKG and than HNG-DFW on AA on two separate tickets purchased on different days. Our NAN-HKG flight was delayed by ca. 3 hrs due to Chinese military exercises and I missed the HKG-DFW flight. Cathay did the rebooking to their own HKG-LAX flight (and then AA) to get me to the final destination with very minimal delay. I was told that I got the last available seat on HKG-LAX.
From this experience I do not see any reasons for trying to combine tickets.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA published, on its consumer-facing website, its policy of acommodating what it called "disruptions" AA>OW until several months ago. It then removed the provision. That provision is still in the instructions for TA's not available to the public. Whether that is because AA has abandoned the policy and erroneously failed to correct the TA website or there is some reason it changed one website and not the other, remains to be seen.

Nobody has pointed to a policy dealing with separate OW tickets not involving AA, but it appears that "disruptions" seem routinely acommodated too.

OTOH, US carriers typically do not sweat these details, so it may be the latter that holds sway.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- You are protected on OW travel even if you are on separate tickets and itineraries. It will be the responsibility of the airline that caused the mis-connect to get you to the final destination. This spring was flying Dragon Air (Cathay) from NAN to HKG and than HNG-DFW on AA on two separate tickets purchased on different days. Our NAN-HKG flight was delayed by ca. 3 hrs due to Chinese military exercises and I missed the HKG-DFW flight. Cathay did the rebooking to their own HKG-LAX flight (and then AA) to get me to the final destination with very minimal delay. I was told that I got the last available seat on HKG-LAX.
From this experience I do not see any reasons for trying to combine tickets.
There is no published policy to support this assertion

AA has a policy listed in its Travel Agents section indcating that it has a policy to protect in case of a misconnect between AA and a OW carrier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.