Through-checking luggage with a long connection at DFW

Old Sep 25, 15, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Through-checking luggage with a long connection at DFW

I am planning to fly LGA (or EWR)-DFW-LIM. I have never been to Dallas or Fort Worth before, so I thought about taking a very early flight from NYC, leaving DFW and doing some sightseeing before flying onwards to LIM at around 10 pm. Now, I have read that there is a restriction on the maximum connect time with checked bags (my connection would be up to 13-14 hours). For example, OneWorld website https://www.oneworld.com/airports-de...-during-travel says the following

If the time between connecting oneworld flights is more than 12 hours, you may need to collect your luggage on arrival and check-in again with the outbound carrier.
Moreover, it seems that there are no baggage storage facilities at DFW (some discussion here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.

Doing sightseeing in Dallas with a suitcase wouldn't be optimal. I am not planning on renting a car; I'd rather take DART/TRE to the cities. On the other hand, some time ago I was connecting from LIM to BCN at MIA and I had no problems re-checking the bag even though the connection was longer than 12 hours.

I would like to maximize the time spent in the area, but given the 12-hour restriction and no baggage storage facilities, would you recommend taking a later NYC-DFW flight? How strict is the 12-hour restriction - is it imposed by the reservation system or does it depend on a check-in agent?
Old Sep 25, 15, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA
The 12 hour limit is a computer says no kind of thing. I've seen one person post that they were able to get an agent to make an exception, but that is definitely a rare event. I would not book flights with a longer than 12 hour connection if you absolutely have to have bags checked through.
Old Sep 25, 15, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

If you cannot get your bags checked through, you could try leaving them at the Bell desk of one of the airport hotels for the day.

There is a Grand Hyatt connected to Terminal D

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 26, 15, 7:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
The 12 hour limit is a computer says no kind of thing. I've seen one person post that they were able to get an agent to make an exception, but that is definitely a rare event. I would not book flights with a longer than 12 hour connection if you absolutely have to have bags checked through.
Considering that the OP will not be overnighting, I'd say that the odds are in his favor that he can get the baggage thru-checked.
Old Sep 27, 15, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Thank you! I have decided to change my trip a little bit and overnight in Dallas so as to be able to see more.
Old Sep 27, 15, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As a general reminder, the idea of dropping the bags at a hotel, whether at the airport or in town, is always a good backup. With a generous tip, it's a great side business for the bell staff of a property and gives you lots of choices.

Search this Thread