Guessing equipment to EZE next summer: toss a coin?

Old Sep 24, 15, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Guessing equipment to EZE next summer: toss a coin?

About to book a flight to EZE for next August in J. According to aa.com, as of now, the 2 MIA flights and the DFW one are planned to be on old config 3-class 777s whereas the JFK one is on a 2-class 772.

This would give the edge to the JFK flight. My thinking, though, is that, 10 months in advance, it is well-nigh impossible to second-guess which equipment will be flown on any of the three routes so that I might as well ignore this and just go for the schedule which works best for me (which would give a slight edge to the DFW flight, not least because of the later time of arrival which, among other things, should see immigration not quite as bad as for the early morning bank of European arrivals).

Am I correct or is it possible to form a reasonably informed guess on what will most probably be flown on any of the three routes?
Old Sep 24, 15, 6:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
About to book a flight to EZE for next August in J. According to aa.com, as of now, the 2 MIA flights and the DFW one are planned to be on old config 3-class 777s whereas the JFK one is on a 2-class 772.

This would give the edge to the JFK flight. My thinking, though, is that, 10 months in advance, it is well-nigh impossible to second-guess which equipment will be flown on any of the three routes so that I might as well ignore this and just go for the schedule which works best for me (which would give a slight edge to the DFW flight, not least because of the later time of arrival which, among other things, should see immigration not quite as bad as for the early morning bank of European arrivals).

Am I correct or is it possible to form a reasonably informed guess on what will most probably be flown on any of the three routes?
There's no way to know, really.

The economic issues could have a bearing on what aircraft they use and whether flights will continue or diminish.

AA just fired Zodiac, so the 772 / 77As will supposedly get their CIP but we don't know which seat vendor will be used and how quickly seats can be purchased and installed once they identify the manufacturer and product they want.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 24, 15 at 10:02 pm
Old Sep 24, 15, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Right now, I'm avoiding AA to EZE. I took them in F earlier this year and last year, but I also had a J segment (LAN IRROPS) and those seats could be the end of me. It looked good for DFW/EZE for a while but now not so much. If you are considering a MIA transit, LAN is going to be your only guaranteed lie flat other than an AA F seat.

I don't trust the schedules at all in that JFK was at one point the only route that they were still selling F. Now, it is the only one without it.
Old Sep 25, 15, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
There's no way to know, really.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I don't trust the schedules at all in that JFK was at one point the only route that they were still selling F. Now, it is the only one without it.
Pretty much what I thought. Thanks for confirming.

LAN is going to be your only guaranteed lie flat other than an AA F seat.
The fare I want requires AA metal and including the LA codeshare would mean several $1000s more so this is a non-starter for me, I am afraid. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old Sep 25, 15, 5:27 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
DFW is now on 787 with J/Y configuration.
Old Sep 25, 15, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Not next summer, it ain't. It may change back to a 787 as now but for now it is planned as a 777.
Old Sep 25, 15, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
And not in Feb 2016.
Old Sep 25, 15, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Not next summer, it ain't. It may change back to a 787 as now but for now it is planned as a 777.
There are some things known definitively about the AA/US widebody fleet:

1. All 77Ws are lie-flat/aisle access in J.
2. All 787 "
3. All US-origin A332 and A333 are lie-flat/aisle access in J.

and, the less comforting:

4. Not all 777 have been reconfigured for lie-flat in J and the likelihood they will be done next year approaches zero.
5. The majority of 767s didn't get reconfigured so they have slanty seats in J. AA isn't going to complete the 767s. AA hasn't made the same commitment to provide lie-flats in J to S America that it did with TATL JV partners on USA-Europe routes.
Old Sep 25, 15, 7:16 pm

I fly to EZE quite often. I hope they keep the old 777 just as they are. The 1st class is better than the new 772 J class. If you buy J it is a good use of a SWU. If you upgrade from Y , the old style seat ain't that bad. And better yet , if they sell it as a two class getting to book the old 1st is great.
Old Oct 2, 15, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD for life, HH Gold, SPG gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, TSA pfd
Originally Posted by anc305 View Post
If you buy J it is a good use of a SWU.
On my last return EZE-MIA I was offered to upgrade for $500. I took it thinking that it would be one of the last opportunities to fly F on AA. It was a waste of money IMO. The champagne was prosecco, the seat has seen better days, the catering was the same as in J and the IFE is a POS. Now we get stuck with this inferior cabin for more than another year? You'll find me on LAN.

Search this Thread