Need Advice: Use Miles or Buy Ticket?

Old Sep 22, 15, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plt
Need Advice: Use Miles or Buy Ticket?

I'm in the process of booking a flight from DFW to MUC.

Option A:
First Class on BA from DFW -LHR - MUC. Return is MUC-LHR-DFW but in business class instead of F. Cost is 112,500 Miles and around $1100 in fees.
All departure times and lay overs are good.

Option B:
Purchase same flights in Business Class round trip for around $2700.

Which option is the smarter choice? On one hand I have miles to burn, but the fees are almost the cost of a Coach ticket. On the other hand, if I purchase the Business Class ticket I could do a Gold or PLT challenge and re-establish elite status on AA.
Note I get 10% of miles back with my Citi card, so that helps a bit on the mileage front.

Any advice / insight appreciated...
Old Sep 22, 15, 10:31 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
I recommend Option B, especially if you value elite status..

With option A, you're using 112,500 miles to save $1600, which isn't the best value IMO. Plus not earning any miles towards status.
Old Sep 23, 15, 7:10 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
You can save quite a bit on Option A if you avoid flying on BA. If saver award space is available on your dates, you can fly AA DFW-PHL-MUC or fly AA/AB with two connections, one in the US and one at DUS or TXL. For the random dates I checked in July 2016, B/F was available DFW-JFK-TXL-MUC and MUC-PHL-DFW for 100k miles + $124.00. AA permits changes on award travel at no charge, as long as the origin and destination remain the same, so if the flight via PHL is not available you could book the AB flights and change to the better connection if saver space opens up later.
Old Sep 23, 15, 8:49 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Purchasing on the AARP site could save you an additional 20%, with another 10% savings possible for using a VISA for purchase if you hadn't calculated this.
Old Sep 23, 15, 8:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SR20kads View Post
I'm in the process of booking a flight from DFW to MUC.

Option A:
First Class on BA from DFW -LHR - MUC. Return is MUC-LHR-DFW but in business class instead of F. Cost is 112,500 Miles and around $1100 in fees.
All departure times and lay overs are good.

Option B:
Purchase same flights in Business Class round trip for around $2700.

Which option is the smarter choice? On one hand I have miles to burn, but the fees are almost the cost of a Coach ticket. On the other hand, if I purchase the Business Class ticket I could do a Gold or PLT challenge and re-establish elite status on AA.
Note I get 10% of miles back with my Citi card, so that helps a bit on the mileage front.

Any advice / insight appreciated...
If you are contemplating a challenge, act quickly.

TODAY is the LAST DAY to sign up for the challenge!
Old Sep 23, 15, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plt
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
If you are contemplating a challenge, act quickly.

TODAY is the LAST DAY to sign up for the challenge!
Why is today the last day? Are they eliminating the challenge or something?
My trip is planned for early December so was going to have them start the challenge Dec 1 if I did option B
Old Sep 23, 15, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JPG3392 View Post
You can save quite a bit on Option A if you avoid flying on BA. If saver award space is available on your dates, you can fly AA DFW-PHL-MUC or fly AA/AB with two connections, one in the US and one at DUS or TXL. For the random dates I checked in July 2016, B/F was available DFW-JFK-TXL-MUC and MUC-PHL-DFW for 100k miles + $124.00. AA permits changes on award travel at no charge, as long as the origin and destination remain the same, so if the flight via PHL is not available you could book the AB flights and change to the better connection if saver space opens up later.
This.

If you find similar routes without flying BA the flight will cost you $100 in fees which will just be taxes. BA has the insulting policy that you have to pay the fuel surcharges which according to them is not part of the price of the ticket (yeah right!).
Old Sep 23, 15, 1:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Option B and it's not close. You'll earn a bunch of miles, get status, and business class should be satisfactory for flying. If it's miles or miles then sure, I'd book F over J. But in situations like this, just "slum" it in business class.
Old Sep 23, 15, 1:57 pm

Another vote for option B. Look at the delta between the cost of miles for A and the miles you get for B. You end up at less than 1.5 cents per mile.
Old Sep 23, 15, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/RCC, AA EXP, Starwood Gold
Plus with the NAF15 promo announced today, you get 25,000 bonus RDM miles for paid business class across the pond!

Search this Thread