Upgrading on AA 788 ORD-NRT

Old Sep 22, 15, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Upgrading on AA 788 ORD-NRT

Now that this route is being operated on a 788, does anyone have recent experience with loads in the forward cabin? Seems like it wasn't terribly difficult to score C inventory when the flight was operated on the 772, so curious if the upgraded product and the reduction in the number of premium seats is making upgrades much more difficult to score.

Last edited by linglingfool; Sep 22, 15 at 7:45 pm
Old Sep 22, 15, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AC; Avis PP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
Now that this is being operated by a 788, does anyone have recent experience with loads in the forward cabin? Seems like it wasn't terribly difficult to score C inventory when the flight was operated on the 772, so curious if the upgraded product and the reduction in the number of premium seats is making upgrades much more difficult to score.
Sample size of 1, but I booked 4 months in advance and missed on a Miles+Copay by 2 people on Labor Day as a GLD on an O fare.

That said, MCE was tolerable as the flight was about an hour early and I didn't have anyone too large next to me.
Old Sep 22, 15, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Originally Posted by captaink View Post
Sample size of 1, but I booked 4 months in advance and missed on a Miles+Copay by 2 people on Labor Day as a GLD on an O fare.

That said, MCE was tolerable as the flight was about an hour early and I didn't have anyone too large next to me.
Where'd you sit captaink? Facing the prospect of ORD-NRT Sunday in MCE...

OP, ExpertFlyer shows Sunday the 27th's (mine) flight as J4 and Sat Oct 3 return as J1, so seems to be pretty full up front on those seemingly shouldn't-be-too-packed days. One day earlier (Sat & Fri return) shows J1 and J0. Leave on Monday the 28th and its J7....
Old Sep 23, 15, 7:15 am

Programs: US CP, AA EXP, DL Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Upgrading on AA 788 ORD-NRT-NRT.

on days I was looking to fly, lots of J0s already. LAX seems to be the easier one to upgrade, but have missed that earlier this year. the evening DFW departure out of Tokyo seems easier than the morning one from my experience (morning only AA option out, vs afternoon all flights available)
Old Sep 23, 15, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, AC; Avis PP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by masonp123 View Post

OP, ExpertFlyer shows Sunday the 27th's (mine) flight as J4 and Sat Oct 3 return as J1, so seems to be pretty full up front on those seemingly shouldn't-be-too-packed days. One day earlier (Sat & Fri return) shows J1 and J0. Leave on Monday the 28th and its J7....
I was in 9H, although I went back and forth on window vs. middle section aisle. It helped that the guy in the middle seat never asked me to get up when he needed to leave, but YMMV, obviously
Old Sep 23, 15, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver

Unlike domestic flights, the weekend actually seems to be popular for international travel. IME.
Old Sep 23, 15, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by nall View Post
the weekend actually seems to be popular for international travel. IME.
+1. Weekends + Fridays...

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 15, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Originally Posted by nall View Post
Unlike domestic flights, the weekend actually seems to be popular for international travel. IME.
Previously travelling to Japan I've had a lot of luck with upgrades departing the US on Sunday. Flight arrives in the afternoon Monday lots of business folk leave Saturday - those departures have been packed. I schedule my stuff Tues-Fri and hang around for Sat eve return. On the return from NRT Friday's have typically packed, and less so on Saturday's. My sample size is small, about 12 trips in 3 years, with upgrades clearing about every time (maybe 1 didn't). I'm doubtful I'll make the upgrade on Sunday on the 787.
Old Sep 25, 15, 8:13 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, AA PlatPro, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Previously travelling to Japan I've had a lot of luck with upgrades departing the US on Sunday. Flight arrives in the afternoon Monday lots of business folk leave Saturday - those departures have been packed. I schedule my stuff Tues-Fri and hang around for Sat eve return. On the return from NRT Friday's have typically packed, and less so on Saturday's. My sample size is small, about 12 trips in 3 years, with upgrades clearing about every time (maybe 1 didn't). I'm doubtful I'll make the upgrade on Sunday on the 787.
Really? You're lucky! I missed a NRT-ORD upgrade as a PLT on a Saturday afternoon earlier this year on the old config 777. Didn't even come close - I was 5th or 6th on the list at takeoff.

Search this Thread