Wiki Posts
Search

Do you report a violation of FAA regulations by a F/A

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
Do you report a violation of FAA regulations by a F/A

So today I was flying DFW-IND. The F class F/A was horrible and lazy. We boarded and it was 20 minutes before departure and we're ready to go (boarding was complete) and no PDB, not even OJ or water. When boarding I said hello and she said nothing. She was very indifferent and cold. That aside, as we're lining up for departure on the M80, I notice that she has the front closet where the crew bags are stowed wide open and latched on the side. So what happens if the plane comes to a screeching halt on the runway and all the bags fall out and block the exit at L1? Obviously nothing happened, but a clear violation of FAA regulations. So the flight goes along and she's terrible. The Y drink cart is several rows back before she decides to get out of her jumpseat from reading her magazine. On the 1:45 flight she sits down no less than 10 times, ignoring the cabin. Then upon landing guess what? The front closet is wide open again and not secured. I really don't mean to be petty, but this is a F/A not complying with FAA regulations.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Sounds to me like things were not secured for take off and landing.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sounds to me like 90% of your complaint is about the service, and you're considering a FAA complaint mainly to stick it to the FA. As such, it probably makes more sense to file a complaint with AA, focusing on the poor service and mentioning the possible violation.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: double EX-PLT
I report them, last one was not arming the door on 2R on a 757.
The F/A self reported so nothing was done, I wish the IRS had that policy.

Didn't bother on a PHX-DFW flight last Sunday when the seat back video system would not display the safety demo and the crew blew off the manual method.

Biggest was a guy on a phone from pushback at DFW until we turned to take off. The FAA investigator said American would probably try to make the pax pay the fine. He said they normally didn't pursue cases like that but the fact that I told him that 2 F/As walked past the guy twice and never made an effort to shut him up bugged them.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I report perceived safety violations. I say perceived because I'm no expert on the rules and regulations. Commercial aviation is such a safe mode of travel because of anal attention to seemingly minor details.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:44 am

If I did anything , it would be to report it to the FAA. AA could care less about the service provided and are well aware that FAs routinely do small things that are against FAA regulations. Unless they get caught AA is not worried about it.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TWAL10114Ever
So today I was flying DFW-IND. The F class F/A was horrible and lazy. We boarded and it was 20 minutes before departure and we're ready to go (boarding was complete) and no PDB, not even OJ or water. When boarding I said hello and she said nothing. She was very indifferent and cold. That aside, as we're lining up for departure on the M80, I notice that she has the front closet where the crew bags are stowed wide open and latched on the side. So what happens if the plane comes to a screeching halt on the runway and all the bags fall out and block the exit at L1? Obviously nothing happened, but a clear violation of FAA regulations. So the flight goes along and she's terrible. The Y drink cart is several rows back before she decides to get out of her jumpseat from reading her magazine. On the 1:45 flight she sits down no less than 10 times, ignoring the cabin. Then upon landing guess what? The front closet is wide open again and not secured. I really don't mean to be petty, but this is a F/A not complying with FAA regulations.
If you had received PDB and your greeting was reciprocated upon boarding, would you have still started this thread and overlooked the perceived FAA violation?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Is a lack of full PDB an FAA violation?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Is a lack of full PDB an FAA violation?
If not it should be... I'm writing my congressman!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum
An unsupervised workforce

When dealing with an unsupervised workforce I believe it's important to make the airline's management aware of service (and in this case) safety deficits.

In the old days there were check-rides and ghost rides. I don't know if these still exist.

Send a letter to the carrier. I don't believe it will be ignored. You'll never know the end result but, in my experience, the incidents are investigated.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Ask yourself whether you are complaining about the unsecured closet because the FA refused you a drink when you asked for it (I'm presuming that when the FA didn't offer, that OP pressed the call button and asked for one).

2. Ask yourself what you did in the moment. The unsecured door was a risk to you and to other pax. That's why AA's safety & security policies and thus FAA rules, require that the door be secured. If it concerned you, People who help to solve problems are what make the world go round. If you are just doing this to spite the FA, it's, well---- spiteful.

If having thought about the above, it seems worth it, file with FAA. FAA will send a routine inquiry to AA which will, at a minimum tell the FA about it and that will help the FA and others think more of this in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.