No receipt for change fee?

Old Sep 21, 15, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
No receipt for change fee?

Had to change a ticket last week for my trip on Thursday. Did not notice until this morning, while doing receipts for the client, that the revised itinerary only showed the fare difference, not the $200 change fee. Went to the AA 'refunds/receipts' page & the receipt from there is the same-no reference to the $200 change fee.

Checked my bank account &, of course, the change fee was charged.

Have tried x2 w/the customer service to get it & have been told, x2, that I have to request it in writing AND send them a $15 check or money order to get it.

Though I had long thought nothing Discount Dougie did would surprise me anymore, the hubris of this is just mind boggling-they expect me to pay for a receipt now???

Has anyone else noticed that the change fees are being left off itineraries or receipts?
Old Sep 21, 15, 8:36 am

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Wonder if this is part of side effects of trying to consolidate AA and US reservation system, such as meal pre-order is temporary not available online and will be back on November.

What is the chance where you actually decide to pay $15 fee for another receipt, then the new receipt you got still only show the fare difference only and no change fee?

So, after mentioning that the original receipt was incomplete and the agent is still saying to pay $15 to get another receipt?
Old Sep 21, 15, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I had it happen twice on USAiways in 2013 when I had to change the return to allow me to go to a different destination for a meeting before returning home. This meant that the change fee came out of my pocket. In retrospect, both times, I should have said that I was not available on those days and just return home as originally planned. And then plan the new trip departing from home.
Old Sep 21, 15, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
I had it happen twice on USAiways in 2013 when I had to change the return to allow me to go to a different destination for a meeting before returning home. This meant that the change fee came out of my pocket. In retrospect, both times, I should have said that I was not available on those days and just return home as originally planned. And then plan the new trip departing from home.
Should have guessed that this was nothing more than a LUS money grab on Discount Dougie's part.

One more black mark in the book for the 'new' American.
Old Sep 21, 15, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
So, after mentioning that the original receipt was incomplete and the agent is still saying to pay $15 to get another receipt?
Yup-see below for the response I got the second time, which is nearly word for word the same.

September 21, 2015

Dear txrus:

We have received your additional email. Again, we are sorry that you were not satisfied with the ticket receipt regarding your change fee.

Please write directly to personnel in our Refund Customer Service department. The address is:

American Airlines
Passenger Refunds
4000 E Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix , AZ 85034

Please include a $15 check or money order, as well as the ticket number or flight and date information, the signature of the customer or purchaser, and the date and place of purchase and the form of payment.

txrus, we thank you for your business and look forward to serving you again on American.

Sincerely,

Rita R****
Customer Relations
American Airlines
Old Sep 21, 15, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Perhaps dispute the charge on your credit card detailing that the vendor will not provide a receipt? I've used this in the past a time or two to force a vendor to give a detailed receipt. You're sure not to win the chargeback, but you may get the info you want.
Old Sep 21, 15, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
So if you do pay for the change fee receipt, will you also get a receipt for that $15 receipt fee, or would you have to pay again to get that one?
Old Sep 21, 15, 11:01 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I like the idea of disputing it. Then the airline has to provide proof that your credit card issuer will provide you.

1.) You just created more work for AA than is necessary
2.) You get the receipt without paying $15 and make them do all the work.

There is of course the outside chance that AA doesn't provide this receipt in a timely manor, in which case your card issuer should credit it.
Old Sep 25, 15, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Arrived last night to a club I had never been to before, which shall remain nameless. Upon checking in, somehow this subject came up; all AAngels at the desk, all of whom are LAA and who shall also remain nameless, were shocked & said they'd never heard of this, either.

One of the AAngels immediately starting typing w/purpose on her computer, asked me multiple questions about the receipt that started this thread & was eventually able to print it for me (hence the need for her to remain nameless!).

She showed me around the club & we had a very long, very interesting conversation.

She said they are being 'watched very closely' w/re: to what they doing to assist pax & will be restricted even further after 10/17 (maybe we should start referring to that as 'D Day'?). She said they are all frustrated because they want to help us, but those in charge feel very differently, unless payment is being rendered.

She said she was assisting a CK pax recently to board a RJ flight & even though she & the pax knew his rollaboard would go up, the LUS GA made a scene @ the gate about it & insisted the pax unload some of it before allowing him to board. She said she was mortified, apologized profusely but felt she had no choice but to comply w/the GA otherwise 'they' would never let her go to the gate again.

She said there was an 'employee appreciation' event recently & though she didn't get into specifics she said she now understands why the pax are so angry and frustrated. Also said she & the others have noticed the absence of many of their 'best customers' lately & while we know travel can wax & wane, I find that statement telling.

I had mentioned to her that I'd been holding off changing another flight because of the receipt issue; she told me while she couldn't make the changes for me (see the previous statement about being watched), if I could get it done on the phone while I was there she would be more than happy to generate the receipt for me. I did, she did, & no surprise, when the e-mail confirmation finally came, once again, no reference to the $200 change fee. BTW-agent on the phone, who made a comment about my receiving a receipt for the change, also said she had not heard about this, asked me for all of the specifics including the agent who I had been communicating with, & said she was going to talk to someone. Said it was bad enough AA was charging $200 to make a change, but to then not provide a receipt was unacceptable to her.

As much as I would like to send a e-mail to AA CS about how much I appreciated her help, I'm afraid to even send a generic message in case they conduct an audit trail of my account & see what she did.

As I was leaving, they all asked commented that the 'new' American isn't working for them, wanted to know if I was hiring & could they come work for me. I have yet to find a LAA employee who is happy about the 'new' American.

Way to go for great, Dougie

Search this Thread