Rude FA's and none working Video AA flight 78 9/8/2015

Old Sep 21, 15, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA PLT,BMI Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, Marriott Platin SPG Gold
Rude FA's and none working Video AA flight 78 9/8/2015

I am trying to figure out what if anything can be or should be done about a issue that happened to my son.

He was on AA 78 DFW-LHR in Y. He was seated next to a women that he did not know. Just after takeoff they discovered that the entertainment system as well as the charging ports were none functioning.

The women asked a FA that was walking by about it and was told that they had rebooted the system and if it did not work they could not do anything about it.

She then asked what they were going to do for the next 9 hours without power or screens.

The FA then told her and my son that they were both cutoff from receiving any Alcohol on the flight as they were being difficult.

Bear in mind that my son has not said a word to the FA at this point.

I was upset when he was telling me this after the flight and I have always told my son's to be polite and not to talk back to the flight crew from the time they were 4. So I am confident that he did nothing to provoke her.

Where can he get any answers at any longer ? I have been EP for years and this year dropped to PL but I cant seem to find out any information and any email's have not been returned.

Is this the typical treatment we should expect from AA ? I moved from Delta years ago because of something similar that happened to me.

Thanks I just felt the need to vent and see if anyone else has seen something similar.
Old Sep 21, 15, 8:21 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
The only place where they *might* respond is Twitter. You should also send a message online to customer service using AA's webform, as there is a slight possibility that they would throw some miles your way due to the inoperable entertainment system.

AA FAs on international flights are completely rogue, in my opinion. They can do whatever they want with no repercussions whatsoever. AA might respond stating that they spoke to a manager, but as far as I can tell they are powerless also.
Old Sep 21, 15, 8:54 am

This story is too thin. It lacks plot development and character motivation.
Old Sep 21, 15, 9:01 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 3million View Post
I am trying to figure out what if anything can be or should be done about a issue that happened to my son.

He was on AA 78 DFW-LHR in Y. He was seated next to a women that he did not know. Just after takeoff they discovered that the entertainment system as well as the charging ports were none functioning.

The women asked a FA that was walking by about it and was told that they had rebooted the system and if it did not work they could not do anything about it.

She then asked what they were going to do for the next 9 hours without power or screens.

The FA then told her and my son that they were both cutoff from receiving any Alcohol on the flight as they were being difficult.

Bear in mind that my son has not said a word to the FA at this point.

I was upset when he was telling me this after the flight and I have always told my son's to be polite and not to talk back to the flight crew from the time they were 4. So I am confident that he did nothing to provoke her.

Where can he get any answers at any longer ? I have been EP for years and this year dropped to PL but I cant seem to find out any information and any email's have not been returned.

Is this the typical treatment we should expect from AA ? I moved from Delta years ago because of something similar that happened to me.

Thanks I just felt the need to vent and see if anyone else has seen something similar.
Rude FAs? On AA? Preposterous...

Did your son get the name of the FA? If so, report the individual to AA CS and Twitter along with the flight information. The whole situation sounds pretty ridiculous. Make sure to include the malfunctioning IFE (very common on AA equipment) and they'll throw some AAdvantage miles your way for that.

Unfortunately, there isn't much incentive for AA FAs to do a good job, nor is there really any repercussion for being AAbysmal. In quite a few cases, I feel as though robotic FAs would be a step up.
Old Sep 21, 15, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3million View Post
Bear in mind that my son has not said a word to the FA at this point..
That's a tough set of circumstances, for sure.

I'd write in for sure, but I wouldn't expect much beyond the miles they'll probably throw ya for the inop IFE

As far as your son being lumped in with this woman:

(and then being punitively cut-off from alcohol, based on the woman's demeanor or tone or whatever)

That's a very, very tough break.
Old Sep 21, 15, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
People get really angry about a "loss" of amenities such as IFE or power, but is it really the end of the world? Annoying? Yes. But most will survive a 9h flight.

The FA should not have held 3million's son accountable for the other woman's actions/behavior...wonder if the FA assumed (incorrectly) they were traveling together?
Old Sep 21, 15, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm slightly puzzled by the report.

If the OP's son is old enough to be served alcohol at all, why isn't he the one complaining and contacting AA?

Also why didn't he point out the error of judgement in associating him with the passenger sitting next to him at the time?

This vicarious complaint seems unlikely to go anywhere without a first-hand report...
Old Sep 21, 15, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
The FA should not have held 3million's son accountable for the other woman's actions/behavior...wonder if the FA assumed (incorrectly) they were traveling together?
To my reading, seems like somewhat of a given.

Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post

If the OP's son is old enough to be served alcohol at all, why isn't he the one complaining and contacting AA?

Also why didn't he point out the error of judgement in associating him with the passenger sitting next to him at the time?

This vicarious complaint seems unlikely to go anywhere without a first-hand report...
Agreed on all.
Old Sep 21, 15, 11:26 am

Because a lot of people are non-confrontational by nature and they will simply try to walk away (or avoid any further discussion) than communicate with rude fa. Most dont know where and how to complain and feel that its a waste of their time and just adds more stress to follow up.

Unfortunately this allows some employees to get away with it. I witnessed fa being very rude to an elderly pax in f on lax-hnl last year - i am pretty sure he was not going to twitter to complain afterwards but it was very disappointing to witness...
Old Sep 21, 15, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Because a lot of people are non-confrontational by nature and they will simply try to walk away (or avoid any further discussion) than communicate with rude fa.
FAs are people too, which makes it unlikely that the even transpired as the OP believes it does (they're not looking for confrontation any more than any other person). I cast no aspersions on the OP's understanding of the story. I merely state that it is extremely unlikely that:

1. The FA assumed the two were traveling together unless they were talking and laughing and otherwise making it seem as if they were traveling together

2. The FA specifically cut them off from alcohol with no reason (ie they had to have been drinking for alcohol to even get into the story)

3. The FA blew up over an innocent "what are we going to do without IFE?" rhetorical question

I'll hazard a guess as to what really happened:

1. OP's son and the seatmate had a few drinks and got to talking, enough that the FAs assumed they were traveling together

2. Some hours into the flight, the seatmate complained about the non-operational IFE--NOTE: it would have taken a while for the IFE issue to reach the level of complaining, since the IFE isn't normally turned on for up to an hour of flight.

3. The seatmate WAS confrontational to the FA. In fact "What are we supposed to do without IFE" *is* confrontational, because ... is the FA supposed to do about it after they tried resetting the system? MacGuyver a VCR player out of toothpaste and bubble gum?

4. The FA noted the seatmate's state of inebriation and cut her off. It would be fruitless to cut one passenger of a two pax party off, since one friend would simply provide liquor to the other. So both were cut off, on the mistaken assumption that they were together.

Most or all of this could have transpired without OP's son being away of anything. From his POV, he was outrageously denied alcohol without reason. But does that really make any sense at all? Unless the FA is completely loony, hears voices at night, and talks to scoops of ice cream, she had her reasons too.

At the end of the day, the OP's son has nothing to complain about, beyond the broken IFE.
Old Sep 21, 15, 12:58 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
seems like the story isn't quite complete as lobo points out. there's some missing interactions that surely added to the story/situation (e.g., previous drink orders)
Old Sep 21, 15, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by lobo411 View Post
FAs are people too, which makes it unlikely that the even transpired as the OP believes it does (they're not looking for confrontation any more than any other person). I cast no aspersions on the OP's understanding of the story. I merely state that it is extremely unlikely that:

1. The FA assumed the two were traveling together unless they were talking and laughing and otherwise making it seem as if they were traveling together

2. The FA specifically cut them off from alcohol with no reason (ie they had to have been drinking for alcohol to even get into the story)

3. The FA blew up over an innocent "what are we going to do without IFE?" rhetorical question

1. OP's son and the seatmate had a few drinks and got to talking, enough that the FAs assumed they were traveling together

2. Some hours into the flight, the seatmate complained about the non-operational IFE--NOTE: it would have taken a while for the IFE issue to reach the level of complaining, since the IFE isn't normally turned on for up to an hour of flight.

3. The seatmate WAS confrontational to the FA. In fact "What are we supposed to do without IFE" *is* confrontational, because ... is the FA supposed to do about it after they tried resetting the system? MacGuyver a VCR player out of toothpaste and bubble gum?

4. The FA noted the seatmate's state of inebriation and cut her off. It would be fruitless to cut one passenger of a two pax party off, since one friend would simply provide liquor to the other. So both were cut off, on the mistaken assumption that they were together.

Most or all of this could have transpired without OP's son being away of anything. From his POV, he was outrageously denied alcohol without reason. But does that really make any sense at all? Unless the FA is completely loony, hears voices at night, and talks to scoops of ice cream, she had her reasons too.

At the end of the day, the OP's son has nothing to complain about, beyond the broken IFE.
As always there is more than on side of the story and I have a feeling that lobo411 interpretation might be closer to what transpired in the flight. We have a 3rd party account to what occurred, not from the seatmate who asked about the IFE, but rather from the father of a passenger who so far has not said anything. As for if this is how AA is treating their passenger, I doubt it, but as a customer, you always have a choice as well.
Old Sep 21, 15, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by arollins View Post
As always there is more than on side of the story and I have a feeling that lobo411 interpretation might be closer to what transpired in the flight. We have a 3rd party account to what occurred, not from the seatmate who asked about the IFE, but rather from the father of a passenger who so far has not said anything. As for if this is how AA is treating their passenger, I doubt it, but as a customer, you always have a choice as well.
Just curious why in your opinion 4th party interpretation of the story is better than the 3th party telling of that story?
And having a choice is really not the point here (you ll run out of options rather soon) - dealing with, reporting etc bad apples in FA organization is more relevant. They absolutely do exist.
Old Sep 21, 15, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lobo411 View Post

On the contrary, I've actually found quite a few confrontational AA FAs. They tend to get more confrontational when someone asks them to to their job... That said, there are good ones out there. They're just becoming more and more difficult to find. I've had good experiences with LAX based crews. Generally bad experience with DFW based crews, and very mixed experiences with ORD and MIA crews. Also had some great BOS FAs one time.
Old Sep 21, 15, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Likely because as a non-status passenger (my assumption) he realized that AA was not going to spend a lot of time listening to him, whereas they might listen to a parent with status. He's probably already learning that even with status the airlines don't listen...

Search this Thread