Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Credit Request Ignored - Is this normal for AA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Mileage Credit Request Ignored - Is this normal for AA?

I have submitted 3 requests for missing miles from May. I have never received a reply from AAdvantage Customer Service for any of the requests (each was submitted approximately 1 month apart, to allow time for them to credit). My spouse also submitted a request recently and has received no reply. Is this normal? Do they just ignore your request, instead of telling you why the credit is not granted?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, UA
I haven't had a request a credit in the last few months, but earlier in the year I had the same experience as you: no response. In one case, they credited my miles without saying anything. In another, I had to follow-up with them before getting the miles.

Are these AA flights or a partner airline? Did you you run into an irregular situation that prevented the miles from crediting normally?

Since you've been waiting patiently for a while, have you tried sending a tweet to @AmericanAir? I've noticed them to be fairly responsive, especially if you've gotten no response from CS already.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:48 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Just submitted a mileage request last week and got denied yesterday. Turned out the names on the ticket didn't match the one on my AAdvantage account. Emailed them proof today and it got rectified pretty quickly.

I think either way you should expect to hear back within a week. Did you submit the request via the web form or did you email directly?

Edit: Ditto to the tweeting idea.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
IME - 28 years of AAdvantage postings - if a request for credit is accepted miles post within 7-30 days. If they disagree - terms not met, ineligible fare class, etc. - AA is silent.

Perhaps the US Airways reservation platform has added new inconsistencies to the AAdvantage crediting process. It goes away in a month.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I requested one last month and it posted within 72 hours. I received multiple confirmation emails as well. Maybe try calling your AAdvantage line and ask to be transfered to AAdvantage Customer Service?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Opposite experience here: I submitted a claim last month for a US flight and had credit within a few days.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:01 am

I've had to call in to follow up. After that, they posted right away.

At the moment, I have no less than three pending. Only been two weeks, but surely, surely, it can't be that hard to confirm a flight I took with an AA number on US metal a month ago...........
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Just have to call.

I have the most problem with 037 tickets (they tell me that they can't see the source ticket and need evidence of fare class, etc. -- they often have to 'call over' to confirm 037 details).

I haven't seen a 001 ticket not get a response (typically silent crediting).

Rasheed
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
IME - 28 years of AAdvantage postings - if a request for credit is accepted miles post within 7-30 days. If they disagree - terms not met, ineligible fare class, etc. - AA is silent.
Not my experience. This year alone, I submitted the same request for credit three times - all three times, AA acknowledged receipt, and the first two times I got an email denying the request. When, after the third request, the miles finally posted? Nada.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
I submitted a request a couple of months back for BA miles for a flight flown. Just almost exactly at the time I finally received an AA reply saying that BA had denied the miles, the miles posted to my account. So, got the miles, but this does not inspire confidence.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 6:04 am

Just received word that my request was denied, "incorrect booking class." This is wrong. There's clearly something amiss with the system these days. I guess I'll call to escalate.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:13 am

Having trouble with this too: sent a request for miles missing for one segment of a 6 segment itinerary. Sent in a copy of the original itinerary and boarding passes 2 days later. 3 weeks after that I got 2 emails, one stating my request was denied with no explanation, the other was a duplicate of the original auto reply saying they would review and get back to me in 30 days. I sent a message to customer service 8 days ago and so far only got the reply saying that they would respond in 5 days. Not sure what to try next (except perhaps beating my head against a wall).
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by amybd
Having trouble with this too: sent a request for miles missing for one segment of a 6 segment itinerary. Sent in a copy of the original itinerary and boarding passes 2 days later. 3 weeks after that I got 2 emails, one stating my request was denied with no explanation, the other was a duplicate of the original auto reply saying they would review and get back to me in 30 days. I sent a message to customer service 8 days ago and so far only got the reply saying that they would respond in 5 days. Not sure what to try next (except perhaps beating my head against a wall).
I'd like to beat their heads against a wall at times. Weeks for a simple AA on AA SMF-DFW as part of a return trip to SAT on an A/P fare, yet nothing.

These are among the simplest clerical tasks they can do, yet it seems to take an inordinate amount of time and the easy decisions are often arbitrary and incorrect. Have they outsourced this function, as they have for "web services, which once upon a time was helpful, to a low-bid contractor in some developing country?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
I have to wait a few more days before I can submit one. 5 out of 6 segments have already been posted. The one which hasn't been posted was the very first flight which was on AA 12 days ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.