1982 is calling.... [AA fails to notify of flight cancellation]

Old Sep 10, 15, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
1982 is calling.... [AA fails to notify of flight cancellation]

My friend and I are headed to BKK tomorrow, me on UA, her on AA. I have Tripit Pro, so I got the notification that the first leg of her flight to ORD tomorrow morning got canceled. She got no such notification. When she called them after I told her about the cancelation, first they said the cancelation was for weather (yeah right), and then they tried to charge her an extra $30 for the same window seat she had had on the other flight. At least they could get her on a flight that will get her to ORD on time. But the kicker was when she asked how she was supposed to know about the cancelation, and was told "you were in the queue to be called." Really, AA? It's called e-mail. Most people have it these days.
Old Sep 10, 15, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Well...... if they are in 1982, maybe the service on her flight will be decent....
Old Sep 10, 15, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Paella747 View Post
Well...... if they are in 1982, maybe the service on her flight will be decent....
That is funny.

Hey, to the OP...the agent might have sold it with "When we have such a travel disruption, we know passengers can be upset - so we make it a point to reach out with a personal phone call to provide a custom solution"

Even if it is a lie
Old Sep 10, 15, 10:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Re-titled and moved to the proper forum.

FlyerTalk Rules:

4. Thread Titles
Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive and that contain an accurate (not misleading or sensational) characterization of the topic. If you wish to change your thread's title, please contact a moderator. Moderators may also edit thread titles to clarify content.
Thank you for titling accurately for fellow members in the future. /Moderator
Old Sep 11, 15, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by rstlsgirl View Post
But the kicker was when she asked how she was supposed to know about the cancelation, and was told "you were in the queue to be called." Really, AA? It's called e-mail. Most people have it these days.
Did she have her flight set up for flight status notification? I've found that very reliable in the past when I've had flights cancelled and received text messages. You have to set it up in your profile or per flight.
https://www.aa.com/travelInformation/fsnAccess.do
Old Sep 11, 15, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
... they tried to charge her an extra $30 for the window seat ...
Nothing 1982 about that part!
Old Sep 11, 15, 8:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Did she have her flight set up for flight status notification? I've found that very reliable in the past when I've had flights cancelled and received text messages. You have to set it up in your profile or per flight.
https://www.aa.com/travelInformation/fsnAccess.do
Agree. I had a 12-hour delay coming back from PVG on Monday. I got a barrage of emails as the situation developed, including a rebooking on another flight. All of this was followed a minute or two later by trip it pro notifications.

Does your friend have any status with AA? It seems they are taken care of first in irrops.
Old Sep 11, 15, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
When I had a flight cancelled a month or so ago (Republic "hey, where did all our pilots go?" issue), I received a text from AA, a text from Kayak, an email from AA, an automated phone call from AA and finally an email with my rebooking info a short time later. Suspect your friend may not have opted in to the various methods AA does in fact offer.
Old Sep 11, 15, 11:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by fordan View Post
When I had a flight cancelled a month or so ago (Republic "hey, where did all our pilots go?" issue), I received a text from AA, a text from Kayak, an email from AA, an automated phone call from AA and finally an email with my rebooking info a short time later. Suspect your friend may not have opted in to the various methods AA does in fact offer.
I was sitting on a delayed flight several months ago and received phone calls and text messages every 15 minutes advising me that my flight was delayed (the departure time kept getting pushed back), which I found amusing since I was already on the airplane and was well aware that the flight was delayed.

Less amusing is when passengers affected by IROPS ask why AA didn't call them and I look in the reservation only to find that the only phone number given to us was that of the agency.
Old Sep 11, 15, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
... first they said the cancelation was for weather (yeah right)...
It would be nice if they stopped using that excuse so freely. The flight isn't on a regional carrier in an area where severe storms are forecast, is it? It might be a pre-emptive cancellation in that case.

Search this Thread