Changing ticket from AA to US for upgrade chance

 
Old Sep 10, 15, 3:06 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 23
Changing ticket from AA to US for upgrade chance

I currently have a RT ticket from BOS to LAS on American metal. I just did this same trip via USAir. I am Platinum (challenge) ended up being upgraded on both legs and loved it.

I now realize that there is no auto-cabin upgrade for AA at the PLT level. I tried to change flights on the AA website but it doesn't look like I can change to USAir metal.

Wanted to ask the braintrust here. Is this even possible? Do I need to call customer support? Seems like a no brainer to always book USairways if AA PLT. Am I missing something?

It's a nonrefundable fare but wasn't able to see if I would get any credit back if I cancelled it.

Thanks in advance!
igzolt is offline  
Old Sep 10, 15, 3:49 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 1,790
Changing from AA to US, other than during IRROPS, would basically be like starting over. You would have to be re-priced and you would have to pay any change/cxl penalties.
AAExecPlatFlier is offline  
Old Sep 10, 15, 4:10 pm
  #3  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,507
Originally Posted by igzolt View Post
I currently have a RT ticket from BOS to LAS on American metal. I just did this same trip via USAir. I am Platinum (challenge) ended up being upgraded on both legs and loved it.

I now realize that there is no auto-cabin upgrade for AA at the PLT level. I tried to change flights on the AA website but it doesn't look like I can change to USAir metal.

Wanted to ask the braintrust here. Is this even possible? Do I need to call customer support? Seems like a no brainer to always book USairways if AA PLT. Am I missing something?

It's a nonrefundable fare but wasn't able to see if I would get any credit back if I cancelled it.

Thanks in advance!
What's the ticket's change fees? Does US have the same fare available, or would you pay for a higher fare too?

Anything is possible in this regard; you must be willing to undertake the task and pay the cost.
JDiver is offline  
Old Sep 10, 15, 4:44 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
Posts: 3,326
Even if you did change to US metal flight, if you are on an AA flight number (codeshare) you will only be able to upgrade at 24 hours.

And after October 17, everything changes to the AA upgrade system.
ty97 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 15, 4:54 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: LA
Programs: AA, DL, UA
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
Even if you did change to US metal flight, if you are on an AA flight number (codeshare) you will only be able to upgrade at 24 hours.

And after October 17, everything changes to the AA upgrade system.
Yep -- made this mistake earlier during the year.

I would just upgrade using stickers rather than paying the change fees (up to $200 I believe)/re-pricing it. Probably would be cheaper.
supermintyfresh is offline  
Old Sep 10, 15, 6:49 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
What's the ticket's change fees? Does US have the same fare available, or would you pay for a higher fare too?

Anything is possible in this regard; you must be willing to undertake the task and pay the cost.

interesting. i can't even search the dates on usairways now. it forwards me to AA.com since i guess it is after oct 17 (which another user mentioned was the transition date).

it looks like it would take 11 stickers to cover the RT between BOS-LAS or $330. not bad i suppose all things considered...
igzolt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread