FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Changing ticket from AA to US for upgrade chance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1709166-changing-ticket-aa-us-upgrade-chance.html)

igzolt Sep 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Changing ticket from AA to US for upgrade chance

I currently have a RT ticket from BOS to LAS on American metal. I just did this same trip via USAir. I am Platinum (challenge) ended up being upgraded on both legs and loved it.

I now realize that there is no auto-cabin upgrade for AA at the PLT level. I tried to change flights on the AA website but it doesn't look like I can change to USAir metal.

Wanted to ask the braintrust here. Is this even possible? Do I need to call customer support? Seems like a no brainer to always book USairways if AA PLT. Am I missing something?

It's a nonrefundable fare but wasn't able to see if I would get any credit back if I cancelled it.

Thanks in advance!

AAExecPlatFlier Sep 10, 2015 3:49 pm

Changing from AA to US, other than during IRROPS, would basically be like starting over. You would have to be re-priced and you would have to pay any change/cxl penalties.

JDiver Sep 10, 2015 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by igzolt (Post 25406712)
I currently have a RT ticket from BOS to LAS on American metal. I just did this same trip via USAir. I am Platinum (challenge) ended up being upgraded on both legs and loved it.

I now realize that there is no auto-cabin upgrade for AA at the PLT level. I tried to change flights on the AA website but it doesn't look like I can change to USAir metal.

Wanted to ask the braintrust here. Is this even possible? Do I need to call customer support? Seems like a no brainer to always book USairways if AA PLT. Am I missing something?

It's a nonrefundable fare but wasn't able to see if I would get any credit back if I cancelled it.

Thanks in advance!

What's the ticket's change fees? Does US have the same fare available, or would you pay for a higher fare too?

Anything is possible in this regard; you must be willing to undertake the task and pay the cost.

ty97 Sep 10, 2015 4:44 pm

Even if you did change to US metal flight, if you are on an AA flight number (codeshare) you will only be able to upgrade at 24 hours.

And after October 17, everything changes to the AA upgrade system.

supermintyfresh Sep 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 25407129)
Even if you did change to US metal flight, if you are on an AA flight number (codeshare) you will only be able to upgrade at 24 hours.

And after October 17, everything changes to the AA upgrade system.

Yep -- made this mistake earlier during the year.

I would just upgrade using stickers rather than paying the change fees (up to $200 I believe)/re-pricing it. Probably would be cheaper.

igzolt Sep 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 25407001)
What's the ticket's change fees? Does US have the same fare available, or would you pay for a higher fare too?

Anything is possible in this regard; you must be willing to undertake the task and pay the cost.

interesting. i can't even search the dates on usairways now. it forwards me to AA.com since i guess it is after oct 17 (which another user mentioned was the transition date).

it looks like it would take 11 stickers to cover the RT between BOS-LAS or $330. not bad i suppose all things considered...