Upgrade Priority

Old Sep 10, 15, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Upgrade Priority

Hi there,

My friend just forwarded me this link and I do not believe it is correct...

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rade-priority/

American prioritizes upgrades first by status, and second by the time added to the waitlist. Most airlines prioritize upgrades based on status and then fare class, and use time added to the waitlist as the tiebreaker.

I always thought that the upgrade priority was based off of Status first, then Fare Class, then Timestamp. For instance, on AA137, if I buy a Y ticket two weeks from departure vs someone who bought an "O" ticket 6 months ago and we are both EXP using SWU, the "Y" ticket would trump the "O" ticket on the waitlist for the upgrade.

Can anyone confirm the above?
Old Sep 10, 15, 12:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat
American's own site indicates that's not the case for 500 mile upgrades. Although if other Exp's are upgraded at T-100 and you buy a Y fare at T-<100 I'm pretty sure they won't claw the upgrade back from a cheaper fare Exp.

It's under step 2 in this link:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...desContent.jsp

"If an upgrade is available, we'll confirm it before departure based on your elite status level and the order it was received

Fares booked in Y and B are confirmed within each status level first, followed by all other fares."
Old Sep 10, 15, 12:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sk8erjcx View Post
Hi there,

American prioritizes upgrades first by status, and second by the time added to the waitlist. Most airlines prioritize upgrades based on status and then fare class, and use time added to the waitlist as the tiebreaker.

I always thought that the upgrade priority was based off of Status first, then Fare Class, then Timestamp. For instance, on AA137, if I buy a Y ticket two weeks from departure vs someone who bought an "O" ticket 6 months ago and we are both EXP using SWU, the "Y" ticket would trump the "O" ticket on the waitlist for the upgrade.

Sorry, your understanding was incorrect.
Old Sep 10, 15, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

On AA's site it says this (from post #2).

What order are upgrades confirmed?
As soon as your upgrade window opens, we'll attempt to confirm your upgrade.
If an upgrade is available, we'll confirm it before departure based on your elite status level and the order it was received
Fares booked in Y and B are confirmed within each status level first, followed by all other fares.
If your upgrade was auto-requested, you'll be added to the upgrade list within minutes of making your reservation and your request date and time will be the date and time the upgrade was added to your reservation.

"Fares booked in Y and B are confirmed within each status level first, followed by all other fares."

So who is correct?
Old Sep 10, 15, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
So it's status and fare class, but for these purposes, there are only two levels of fare class. Full fare (Y/B), and everything else. So a Y will trump a W; but an M won't trump an S or O.
Old Sep 10, 15, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
While true, an EXP on an O fare will trump a PLT on a Y fare assuming either was purchased before the sweeps. I strongly recommend PLT or GLD to use the cheaper upgrade miles award unless they have very good route intelligence if they do buy the full fare indicated.

Rasheed
Old Sep 10, 15, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Hi there,

Welcome to Flyertalk.

There are probably no less that 2,000 posts on AAs upgrade list processing, priority, etc, etc. A very quick search would have answered you question and then some...

Everyone gets sorted based on status first, (the Y/B fare) THEN time stamp.

Who buys Y/B in advance???? Kinda silly.

So:
EXP YB;
EXP;
PLT YB;
PLT..etc.

In each of those classes they then sort based on time stamp

An exp on the day of the flight will beat a Platinum 9 months earlier. (Assuming the Plat didnt get cleared prior to then. And AA is not doing a lot of upgrades before airport for precisely that reason- so high value EXP flyers who buy last minute tickets still get a shot at the upgrades.)

So an EXP who has been on the list for 8 months will be cleared before a PLT who buys a full fare Y fare the day before the flight.

Personally the YB thing really seems pointless, but maybe I havent thought about how it might help enough. If they wanted low status fliers to think "say, if I get my company to pay $2800 to fly to LA in coach, at least I can jump to the top of the upgrade list" that doesnt happen. IMO
Old Sep 10, 15, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
Personally the YB thing really seems pointless, but maybe I havent thought about how it might help enough. If they wanted low status fliers to think "say, if I get my company to pay $2800 to fly to LA in coach, at least I can jump to the top of the upgrade list" that doesnt happen. IMO
I agree in general, although I always assumed it took a bit of the sting out of paying so much for a coach seat, particularly for the low status (GLD/PLT) flyer and/or corporate travel person... "The only seat left on the nonstop mid-con flight I need is $1500 and it's a middle seat in coach? Well, hey, at least there's a shot I might get the free upgrade to First!"

I mean, as an EXP personally, the situation would seem to present itself so rarely, that I have no problem with Y/B fares being prioritized above my inferior mid-to-low tier coach fare as they are, even though I never buy them.

It's a small perk for those who find themselves in (presumably) dire business or family situations that require the close-in purchase of very specific flights, likely nonstop, that are near capacity, and full-fare Y/B may be all that is available in the inventory bucket. In IRROPS situations, you may also get a nice AAgent (usually an AC AAngel), who will rebook your old low fare Y ticket to a new flight in Y/B if your prior upgrade couldn't be preserved, so your chances of being upgraded on the new flight are optimized.

Of course, there are also the high-fare flying AAirpass purchasers, in addition to the question of whether the cash loss of buying full fare could ever possibly rationally justify the gain of a "free" upgrade (to AA domestic First... not talking CX F here), but I won't get too far off course...
Old Sep 11, 15, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by metallo View Post
I agree in general, although I always assumed it took a bit of the sting out of paying so much for a coach seat, particularly for the low status (GLD/PLT) flyer and/or corporate travel person... "The only seat left on the nonstop mid-con flight I need is $1500 and it's a middle seat in coach? Well, hey, at least there's a shot I might get the free upgrade to First!"..
My point is that this Y/B thing ONLY moves them within their tier!!! So a full fare last minute Gold will only move to the front of the Gold tier. So from #19 to #16....or #11...still sitting in coach

I think it is an attractive SOUNDING benefit, of no real use.
Old Sep 11, 15, 7:27 am
Original Poster

I agree that it's hardly any use for GLD/PLT but it would be useful for EXP on hard to upgrade routes but it is still a gamble. I have booked "B" on my last 2 trips to HKG (DFW/HKG) and have been upgraded on both roundtrips. The cost is probably another $1300 or so over the non-full fare ticket but vastly cheaper than an "I" fare.
Old Sep 11, 15, 2:14 pm

I agree that it's hardly any use for GLD/PLT but it would be useful for EXP on hard to upgrade routes but it is still a gamble. I have booked "B" on my last 2 trips to HKG (DFW/HKG) and have been upgraded on both roundtrips. The cost is probably another $1300 or so over the non-full fare ticket but vastly cheaper than an "I" fare.
This is actually the narrow place where I might use that. I am usually trying to get an I, but sometimes a D. The B gets you to the top of the list if you are already exp. Basically if I buy a week out I jump all the EXPs that bought before me and waitlisted. (unless they too are YBs)

Thx
Old Sep 11, 15, 6:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by metallo View Post

I mean, as an EXP personally, the situation would seem to present itself so rarely, that I have no problem with Y/B fares being prioritized above my inferior mid-to-low tier coach fare as they are, even though I never buy them.
Same here....until this past weekend. On our ORD-SFO we were 4/5 on the upgrade list. Rare not to be 1/2, but no lower than 2/3 as we buy well in advance.

After working with the AC agent for like 10 minutes (and a phone call to someone), she finally determined that all three of the people above us were on full Y fares (she hadn't known the rules well enough to look for that, and it didn't occur to me).

I'm thinking that it was some kind of reroute and that they had not really bought Y just because, as stated, it's so uncommon...

The first time both of us missed the upgrade in a really long time.

Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 15, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp View Post
Same here....until this past weekend. On our ORD-SFO we were 4/5 on the upgrade list. Rare not to be 1/2, but no lower than 2/3 as we buy well in advance.

After working with the AC agent for like 10 minutes (and a phone call to someone), she finally determined that all three of the people above us were on full Y fares (she hadn't known the rules well enough to look for that, and it didn't occur to me).

I'm thinking that it was some kind of reroute and that they had not really bought Y just because, as stated, it's so uncommon...

The first time both of us missed the upgrade in a really long time.

Cheers.
When I'm forced to fly same day for work DL F P fares are always lower than AA/US YB fares, or even the next level like W. So off to DL I go, no worry about trying to get last minute upgrade.
Old Sep 12, 15, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
Who buys Y/B in advance???? Kinda silly.
The U.S. federal government is one such purchaser.
Old Sep 12, 15, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EP
while "most" people don't buy Y and B, one thing that can screw your is when there is IROPS and a perish is booked in Y and all of a sudden finds them sled at the top of the list.

Also, dont forget about AAirpass folks who book into Y.

Search this Thread