delayed flight help

Old Sep 9, 15, 2:51 am
Original Poster

delayed flight help

had a bit of a rubbish end to a trip to new york, was due to fly from JFK to Edinburgh on friday night at 7pm (direct flight landing at 7am saturday), got a voicemail on thursday afternoon telling me the flight was cancelled and I was getting a flight saturday morning at 8am (via heathrow) getting back from edinburgh at 11:30pm.

so i had to pick up the tab for an extra night in new york and didnt get any help while there.

now comes the annoying/ complicated bit- I booked the flights with British Airways, but the original flights were due to be on American Airlines flights (EDI-JFK + JFK-EDI) although ended up on BA flights home.

I've contacted BA and all they are saying is- flight was due to be operated by AA, contact them, nothing to do with us. I understand that they were not at fault for the delay/ cancellation of the flight, but they've offered no help at all, just said- go contact them. very annoying and if i'd known that BA have no responsibility in all this then I wouldve booked direct with AA.

So phoned AA and they just say fill on the customer services form on-line, theres no one to speak to you on this number and we dont have a phone number for a customer services dept. really?? does any one know of a better way to get a response from them?

I've filled in the AA form online, but it is just a generic customer services contact form and no idea how long they will take to even respond.

what are the chances of me actually recovering all my expenses incurred? the hotel I was staying in cost about 300 a night, will they cover the extra night i had to stay? how long do these things normally take to sort out. I dont want to have to waste days and days chasing them to try and recover my costs.

and should i pursue British Airways or are they correct and only American Airlines can help?!?!?! Any help greatly appreciated
Old Sep 9, 15, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by malks222 View Post
had a bit of a rubbish end to a trip to new york, was due to fly from JFK to Edinburgh on friday night at 7pm (direct flight landing at 7am saturday), got a voicemail on thursday afternoon telling me the flight was cancelled and I was getting a flight saturday morning at 8am (via heathrow) getting back from edinburgh at 11:30pm.

so i had to pick up the tab for an extra night in new york and didnt get any help while there.

now comes the annoying/ complicated bit- I booked the flights with British Airways, but the original flights were due to be on American Airlines flights (EDI-JFK + JFK-EDI) although ended up on BA flights home.

I've contacted BA and all they are saying is- flight was due to be operated by AA, contact them, nothing to do with us. I understand that they were not at fault for the delay/ cancellation of the flight, but they've offered no help at all, just said- go contact them. very annoying and if i'd known that BA have no responsibility in all this then I wouldve booked direct with AA.

So phoned AA and they just say fill on the customer services form on-line, theres no one to speak to you on this number and we dont have a phone number for a customer services dept. really?? does any one know of a better way to get a response from them?

I've filled in the AA form online, but it is just a generic customer services contact form and no idea how long they will take to even respond.

what are the chances of me actually recovering all my expenses incurred? the hotel I was staying in cost about 300 a night, will they cover the extra night i had to stay? how long do these things normally take to sort out. I dont want to have to waste days and days chasing them to try and recover my costs.

and should i pursue British Airways or are they correct and only American Airlines can help?!?!?! Any help greatly appreciated
You purchased a flight that was marketed by BA but operated by AA. AA canceled the flight, and therefore AA was responsible for getting you home at that point (essentially, once BA issued the ticket they were out of the picture completely).

As for whether AA will offer compensation, it depends on the reason for the delay. I would wait and see what response you get from AA, and if necessary escalate it (don't be satisfied with the first response from the web form).
Old Sep 9, 15, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not expect compensation in the order of what you would receive under EC 261/2004 and you will not be disappointed.

AA is unlikely to do anything beyond a few miles or a smallish certificate <$100. I would nonetheless submit my hotel and meal receipts and ask, not demand, reimbursement.

As you have "real" expenses such a hotel and meals, I would submit those to travel insurance. This is classic trip interruption and you should see payment in no time.

If the auto-rebook was not what you wanted, AA is generally very good about rebooking and likely would have rebooked you on any AA/BA combinations out there, including to GLA if that is what you wanted.
Old Sep 9, 15, 7:47 am
Original Poster

thanks, looks like i'll just need to sit out and wait on AA getting in contact. Just dont know how long they take to respond to the customer services stuff on the website, really annoying there is no-one that you can speak to.

I gathered that the compensation wasnt due under the EC261/2004, I wasnt even aware that you got compensation for delays until i started looking into it. I really just would like them to cover the costs of my extra nights stay and additional meals, but this is looking less and less likely.

however a colleague did send me this link and said they got compensation when a return flight was cancelled on them:

http://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

has anyone ever seen this or been successful claiming under these conditions?!?!
Old Sep 9, 15, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
I seriously doubt that AA will pick up the tab for a 300 hotel (did you mean $300?).

I am fairly certain that you won't get anything from BA (you might be in for a few avios to make you go away if pushing it and getting lucky).

If I understand correctly this has already happened, but why did you let them book you on the daytime flight the next morning? Were all JFK-LHR that evening booked full? What about LGA-PHL/BOS/IAD-LHR? All of these options would have seen you leave New York on Friday night and got you into EDI by noon on Saturday.
Old Sep 9, 15, 9:47 am
Original Poster

yes the hotel i was staying in cost $300 per night, not .

The initial contact from AA was a voicemail left on my phone saying- Friday flight cancelled, we've rebooked you on the saturday daytime flight via heathrow. when I phoned to check and get an email confirmation of exactly what flights i was on, I asked about the hotel situation etc... and all i was told is you need to file for compensation when you get home and was no offer of help or them putting me up in a hotel.

I wasnt checking out my hotel and hanging round the airport over night when it wasnt my fault. guess i'll just need to wait and see what happens.
Old Sep 9, 15, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by malks222 View Post
when I phoned to check and get an email confirmation of exactly what flights i was on, I asked about the hotel situation etc...
Unfortunately, at that point you should have said the rebooked flights were unacceptable and pushed for an alternative itinerary departing that night. As mentioned upthread, there would have been no shortage of east coast TATL departures you could have taken.

Hopefully something like this won't happen to you again but, if it does, you now know to push back on the auto-rebook suggestions.

Search this Thread