Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Oops! AA flys AA31 LAX-HNL 31 Aug '15 with Airbus 321S, not ETOPS 321H

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oops! AA flys AA31 LAX-HNL 31 Aug '15 with Airbus 321S, not ETOPS 321H

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airplanegod
^^^

I will pay extra money in the future (when the NEO's and MAX's come out) not to fly on a 737/A320 series aircraft longer than 5-6 hours, and certainly not trans-atlantic.
You should try BA's all business class service between London City and JFK, operated by an A318. It's a great little plane with excellent service. Only 32 seats on board, all lie flat of course.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Great Circle Mapper picked up on this.
As did the most famous, infamous even, travel blogger on the planet today.

10's of 1000's are now aware of this tiny little mistake: "Ooops"

Oops: American Accidentally Flies Wrong Plane To Hawaii

Good thing Lucky loves AA or he might have been a little more critical!

"Apparently they realized the mistake while enroute, though they were past the “point of no return.” I can’t even begin to imagine what kind of a “ruh roh” moment that must have been."
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
My friend who is an American Airlines first officer says that the flight from LAX to Honolulu had no passengers and was an internal flight. This potentially makes it worse because a check ride captain would have been the one commanding this type of flight and he is the one who would make the miss on it being non ETOPS.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by beofotch
My friend who is an American Airlines first officer says that the flight from LAX to Honolulu had no passengers and was an internal flight. This potentially makes it worse because a check ride captain would have been the one commanding this type of flight and he is the one who would make the miss on it being non ETOPS.
AA31 from LAX gate 43 to HNL gate 16 was an internal flight? How curious! (The return flight certainly was, as it was a ferry flight. The return AA62 (same reg number) was also cancelled.)

Maybe this was the official ball control?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The return was an internal flight. The westbound was a regularly scheduled flight.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe that you have transposed the information your friend conveyed to you. Either that or your friend is mistaken.

The flight from LAX to HNL was a revenue flight, with passengers aboard. The return flight, from HNL to LAX, was cancelled and the plane was ferried empty back to LAX.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by cmd320
All the Hawaii 757s are ETOPS, they have to be.
And all the Hawaii 321s are ETOPs too; they have to be. Certainly didn't prevent this error.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by Calchas
You should try BA's all business class service between London City and JFK, operated by an A318. It's a great little plane with excellent service. Only 32 seats on board, all lie flat of course.
SAS one-ups the relatively short hop of the BA stock-market connector with its 8.5-hour (outbound) / 9.25 hour (inbound) oil-industry connector. SVG-IAH, 4,839 miles nonstop, on a 44-seat all-J 737.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
SAS one-ups the relatively short hop of the BA stock-market connector with its 8.5-hour (outbound) / 9.25 hour (inbound) oil-industry connector. SVG-IAH, 4,839 miles nonstop, on a 44-seat all-J 737.
Looks good maybe I'll try it.

Google Flights claims this is an angle flat route, but surely that must be a mistake?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Calchas
Looks good maybe I'll try it.

Google Flights claims this is an angle flat route, but surely that must be a mistake?
The operating carrier, PrivatAir, indicates on its website that the seats are lie-flat.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
This almost sounds like union propaganda more than anything.

I have friends that are dispatchers on both the US and AA sides and while they say they are constantly busy not one of them has ever said they are overworked or had safety compromised. They are the type of people that would refuse to work if they had to compromise safety.
I love the conspiracy theories here. There is no union propaganda. It was a series of events, with a full merger in process, a brand new aircraft type operating this route, two hurricanes in the pacific between mainland and the U.S., a medical emergency, training, a very large software glitch that didn't flag the aircraft as non ETOPS (which, contrary to all the conspiracists here - is a slightly larger fire suppression bottle and oxygen tanks - which wouldn't be an issue of AA just outfitted the fleet with these but wanted to save a few bucks), and a few other issues. It was a mistake. It was self reported. There is no lawsuit. There is no fine. Mountains out of mole hills.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
I love the conspiracy theories here. There is no union propaganda. It was a series of events, with a full merger in process, a brand new aircraft type operating this route, two hurricanes in the pacific between mainland and the U.S., a medical emergency, training, a very large software glitch that didn't flag the aircraft as non ETOPS (which, contrary to all the conspiracists here - is a slightly larger fire suppression bottle and oxygen tanks - which wouldn't be an issue of AA just outfitted the fleet with these but wanted to save a few bucks), and a few other issues. It was a mistake. It was self reported. There is no lawsuit. There is no fine. Mountains out of mole hills.
There is definitely going to be some sort of fine.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
This is a mountain, it is not a mole hill, and there is a serious problem that the airline needs to correct to assure it never happens again. If there had been a cargo hold fire, this mistake could have cost all the passengers and crew their lives. If ETOPS was just " a slightly larger fire suppression bottle and oxygen tanks", then ETOPS would be worthless. There is alot more that goes into it, and I think you know that very well.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You may want to familiarize yourself with what the "conspiracists" at the FAA require for actual ETOPS certification before you post incorrect information. You might wish to start with FAA Advisory Circular 120-42B: Extended Operations (ETOPS and Polar Operations), issued 13 June 2008.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 13, 2015 at 10:16 am
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Lots of hyperbole here.

ETOPS rules are there for a reason, and need to be followed. Nobody's arguing otherwise. Substantive sanctions from the FAA and corrective action from AA will help ensure these rules continue to be followed by all airlines.

However, in this specific case, the risk was minimal. The buy-on-board food posed a far greater danger to passengers' lives.

Both of these can be true. No need to fall into "this is nothing" vs. "this is the worst safety violation imaginable" camps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.