Best way to use cancelled itinerary?

Old Sep 7, 15, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Best way to use cancelled itinerary?

I had an (amazing) fare from EWR -> DUB for Feb '15, but I had to cancel it for work reasons. Boo.

I called AA and learned the following:

I can use the $404.80 value of the fare toward a new flight
I have a $300 change fee
I need to complete the new itinerary by 10/14/15

Right now my thought is to find a cheapo fare (sub $100 if I can) anywhere and do a MR of sorts just to get as much mileage out of the fare as I can and use the remainder to cover the change fee.

The agent also mentioned something about getting the remainder of the fare returned to me in the form of a voucher, which I'm guessing will last longer than 10/14?

How would you flyer pros handle this? I'd like to lose the least $ possible.

Thanks!
Old Sep 7, 15, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by jennthegeek View Post

How would you flyer pros handle this?

Easy

Change jobs.

No bright ideas for 100 airfares, sorry....
Old Sep 7, 15, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
Easy

Change jobs.

No bright ideas for 100 airfares, sorry....
hahah Done! but sadly AFTER i had to cancel the flight.

Also upon further investigation, I *think* AA uses a new money policy, so I'll have to pay the $300 change fee out of pocket. Then I'd free up the full $404 and whatever I don't use in this pre-10/14 fare I'd get back in the form of a voucher. But I could be wrong.
Old Sep 7, 15, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Club Carlson Gold
It's been a while since I canceled a ticket, but my recollection was that they deducted the change fee from the available funds when I booked the new flights several months later and just applied the net amount to my new ticket.

However, it has been at least 2 years since I have done this, so perhaps someone with more recent experience can chime in.
Old Sep 7, 15, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by 466SHH View Post
It's been a while since I canceled a ticket, but my recollection was that they deducted the change fee from the available funds when I booked the new flights several months later and just applied the net amount to my new ticket.

However, it has been at least 2 years since I have done this, so perhaps someone with more recent experience can chime in.
This is how it was done when i rebooked a cancelled ticket a few months ago.
Old Sep 8, 15, 1:37 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
i had a ticket i cancelled that had $350 in value and i booked transcon flagship first at over $2500 so they waived the change fee for me and i ended up only paying the $2500-$350.
Old Sep 8, 15, 2:05 am

Also upon further investigation, I *think* AA uses a new money policy, so I'll have to pay the $300 change fee out of pocket. Then I'd free up the full $404 and whatever I don't use in this pre-10/14 fare I'd get back in the form of a voucher. But I could be wrong.

Never heard of such a thing.

I am 99.9% sure that isnt the AA policy, but I would just kiss off the 100 as opposed to spending $300 more to get a $404 voucher. (Unless you are definitely going to do something worthwhile with that $404 airfare.)

Every change fee Ive had in the last 10 years comes off the ticket value. Here is a sample rule:

WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE THE
CHANGE FEE WILL BE APPLIED -AND- NO REFUND WILL
BE MADE HOWEVER THE DIFFERENCE IN FARE WILL BE R
ETURNED TO THE PASSENGER IN THE FORM OF A NON-REFU
NDABLE TRAVEL VOUCHER WHICH MAY BE APPLIED TOWARDS
THE PURCHASE OF A TICKET VALID FOR
TRANSPORTATION GOVERNED BY AA ONLY.
The KEY is 'change fee is applied'...you do not pay te change fee.

One other thought....If you just wait, there is a chance AA will change a flight and *IF* that change exceeds the limits, you can decline the new flights/times and request a FULL refund. Usually you shoud wait until immediately before the travel date before cancelling. If you can. Ties up $404, bit since you wil lose 300, you are tying up 104 to save 300.
Old Sep 8, 15, 2:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

looking at EWR-DUB, it appears that new cash does not need to be applied , though some US fares on some routes do iirc

Last edited by Dave Noble; Sep 8, 15 at 2:35 am
Old Sep 8, 15, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Never heard of such a thing.

I am 99.9% sure that isnt the AA policy, but I would just kiss off the 100 as opposed to spending $300 more to get a $404 voucher. (Unless you are definitely going to do something worthwhile with that $404 airfare.)
Wouldn't that mean i'm losing the full $404? :\

Every change fee Ive had in the last 10 years comes off the ticket value. Here is a sample rule:

The KEY is 'change fee is applied'...you do not pay te change fee.
Good to know! So my original theory works...if I can find that cheap fare (there's one to Chicago for $75RT same day turn at the moment)

One other thought....If you just wait, there is a chance AA will change a flight and *IF* that change exceeds the limits, you can decline the new flights/times and request a FULL refund. Usually you shoud wait until immediately before the travel date before cancelling. If you can. Ties up $404, bit since you wil lose 300, you are tying up 104 to save 300.
Gah. Newb mistake. Will keep this one in mind for the future!
Old Sep 8, 15, 8:59 am

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I just call the EXP desk, give them the old ticket number/PRN and new res and they apply the old ticketed amount to a new ticket. Never paid the change fee, just the additional fare, if any.
Old Sep 8, 15, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
I just call the EXP desk, give them the old ticket number/PRN and new res and they apply the old ticketed amount to a new ticket. Never paid the change fee, just the additional fare, if any.
Change fee will be deducted from the fare already paid, so, $104.80 voucher would result, or, $104.80 credit to any new ticket. Unless I'm missing something here?
Old Sep 8, 15, 10:50 am

Wouldn't that mean i'm losing the full $404? :\

Gah. Newb mistake. Will keep this one in mind for the future!
You are losing 300 of the 404 no matter what. 'Pay 300 and get a 404 voucher' versus 'get a 104 voucher'

Also, I misread you op...I thought you were talking Feb '16 !!! I thought it was an upcoming flight. Oops
Old Sep 8, 15, 11:51 am
Original Poster

You are losing 300 of the 404 no matter what. 'Pay 300 and get a 404 voucher' versus 'get a 104 voucher'

Also, I misread you op...I thought you were talking Feb '16 !!! I thought it was an upcoming flight. Oops
I suppose getting a $104 voucher is better than nothing! do i need to rebook right now (since they gave me that 10/14/15 completion date? or can i just pay the $300 and get my voucher to use later?

(also if this is somewhere on the AA site, I'm happy to read it all for myself, but I haven't found anything that explains this in human terms!)
Old Sep 8, 15, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You can rebook in future. Just make sure you have the e-ticket number (NOT the record locator) to hand to quote because the only way the reservation agents have to find the credit while you are on the phone to them is to look up the previous ticket number.

For example: in Jan 2015 I booked travel for Aug 2015. My plans changed so I cancelled that trip in April 2015. Later in August 2015 I booked travel for January 2016, using the credit from the first ticket.

Travel must begin within 1 year of the original ticket purchase date. Therefore the latest I could start travel was Jan 2016. As with all (AA) tickets, travel must finish within 1 year of starting, so the furthest you can stretch this out is the last of your travel a bit less than 2 years after the first ticket purchase.
Old Sep 8, 15, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
You can rebook in future. .
Keep in mind that it sounds like jenn bought a ticket in October 2014 for travel in Feb 15.

She did not take that Feb 15 flight.

It is now 37 days from one year since she bought that ticket.....

I think she needs to FLY in the next 37 days...someone correct me if this is wrong

Search this Thread