FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Likelihood of standby - Award J - Gold status? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1707915-likelihood-standby-award-j-gold-status.html)

CherylD Sep 5, 2015 1:02 pm

Likelihood of standby - Award J - Gold status?

Right now we are booked in J ORD-MIA(9/18), MIA-MXP (9/19) on Saver awards. Would really like to either fly ORD-...-JFK-MXP or ORD-MIA-MXP on 9/18. There is no saver availability for this date (or really any other dates).

I see lots of aanytime award availability for these routes on 9/18. I have absolutely no experience with this..so thought I would post here.

If we get to ORD early on 9/18(or should I call on 9/17?) - what are our chances of one of the AAngels being able to change our tickets to fly to MXP on 9/18? Does our lowly Gold status help at all? Are the open seats given to EX Plats? I did read that standby is not permitted on International flights..but that some people have received it in a few cases.

I would just wait and try this, but I have the Z Ocean booked(for 9/18) with my IHG cert and the cancellation policy is 48 hours out. Don't want to be on the hook for the actual cost of that room if there is a chance we might be able to swing this.

reeg2 Sep 5, 2015 1:36 pm

I don't believe you will have any luck if award inventory for the day you want is not released. You can change for free if anything opens up as long as origin and destination do not change. Routing, etc is fine.

Just to be clear - are you on a saaver award now and the only thing available in aanytime? I don't have a clue what you mean by "standard award availability."

CherylD Sep 5, 2015 3:45 pm

Yes, sorry I meant aanytime awards. I was mixing up my airlines. :-o

lobo411 Sep 5, 2015 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by CherylD (Post 25382244)

You mean AAirlines. :p

guv1976 Sep 5, 2015 5:11 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by CherylD

"lots of aanytime award availability for these routes"

That is irrelevant. Every seat on an AA flight is available as an AAnytime award. SAAver awards are capacity controlled; AAnytime awards are not.

CherylD Sep 5, 2015 6:40 pm

I wrote that because it shows me that there are seats open on the flight. I understand that they are only available at this point as an AAnytime award.

My question is - might they allow 2 of these 'open' seats to be used in a same day change situation, without paying an extra gazillion miles(yes an exaggeration) for the difference between saaver and aanytime.

Dave Noble Sep 5, 2015 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by CherylD (Post 25382722)
My question is - might they allow 2 of these 'open' seats to be used in a same day change situation, without paying an extra gazillion miles(yes an exaggeration) for the difference between saaver and aanytime.

Almost certainly not

If award availability opens in U class , then you will be able to change. If not, then you will need to travel on the booked day or rebook as a paid ticket/anytime award on the desired day

MAH4546 Sep 5, 2015 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by CherylD (Post 25382722)

No, they will not. Enjoy a late night in Miami and then be very tired for that MIA-MXP flight that leaves at an ungodly early hour for a trans-Atlantic trip.

CherylD Sep 6, 2015 7:44 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 25382974)
No, they will not. Enjoy a late night in Miami and then be very tired for that MIA-MXP flight that leaves at an ungodly early hour for a trans-Atlantic trip.

I know! What is up with that departure time? When I found the Saaver availability months ago - I was thrilled. Now as the time draws near - I am thinking that first day in Milan is going to be very difficult.

Thank you all for your replies!