Unannounced schedule change - what are my options?

Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Unannounced schedule change - what are my options?

My GIG-JFK-ORD itinerary was changed to GIG-LGA-ORD. It's still a couple months away but no notice of any kind.

Putting aside the hassle and cost of switching airports, can I have them reroute me through Miami (without a fee) so I can get back at the originally scheduled time? (If I have to use LGA then I get back 3hrs later than my original itinerary).

If I stick with the revised itinerary, I'm guessing I'm on my own in terms of getting from JFK to LGA, correct?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume you mean they re-routed you GIG-JFK/LGA-ORD?
Why don't you call AA and have them tell you what your options are?
You should certainly be able to have them reroute you GIG-MIA-ORD, which is probably the most logical option--there should be no fees or fare differences.

If you stick with the JFK-LGA transfer, I suppose you could try to get AA to give you a voucher or something fora shuttle/cab, but probably just easier to re-route via MIA.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can ask for whatever you want: routing via MIA, even routing on TAM out of GIG. Whether you will get what you ask for is uncertain.

And yes, if you have to make the ground transfer from JFK to LGA, that will be at your expense. How much luggage will you have? The trip can cost as little as $5.50 via public transportation.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by XLR26
My GIG-JFK-ORD itinerary was changed to GIG-LGA-ORD. It's still a couple months away but no notice of any kind.

Putting aside the hassle and cost of switching airports, can I have them reroute me through Miami (without a fee) so I can get back at the originally scheduled time? (If I have to use LGA then I get back 3hrs later than my original itinerary).

If I stick with the revised itinerary, I'm guessing I'm on my own in terms of getting from JFK to LGA, correct?
I'm confused; AA doesn't, afaik, fly GIG-LGA; and is this for paid flights or an award?

If they've forced a ground connection JFK-LGA you'll have to pay for that - but you should be able to get a change.

Or, if you're return is delayed by over 120 minutes on this type of routing, AA should accommodate you - but it's best to be prepared with your preferred flights when you call.

And AA is said to wait to notify ~30 days out, so many of us proactively review their itineraries regularly.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What happened to the original JFK-ORD segment? Why did AA cancel your segment. Make sure that this isn't an error.

As others note, do the research for the alternatives and have them ready by flight # for the agent when you call.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I assume you mean they re-routed you GIG-JFK/LGA-ORD?
Why don't you call AA and have them tell you what your options are?
You should certainly be able to have them reroute you GIG-MIA-ORD, which is probably the most logical option--there should be no fees or fare differences.
Yes. Typo! Going to call but wanted to figure out my options beforehand.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can ask for whatever you want: routing via MIA, even routing on TAM out of GIG. Whether you will get what you ask for is uncertain.

And yes, if you have to make the ground transfer from JFK to LGA, that will be at your expense. How much luggage will you have? The trip can cost as little as $5.50 via public transportation.
Only a small carryon, so not a big deal but would like to avoid the hassle.

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm confused; AA doesn't, afaik, fly GIG-LGA; and is this for paid flights or an award?

And AA is said to wait to notify ~30 days out, so many of us proactively review their itineraries regularly.
Paid flight.

It's been years since I booked a flight more than a couple weeks out so good to know re: notice practices. I assumed (wrongly) that they'd send notice when the change was made. Lesson learned. Fortunately I've been checking b/c I've been looking at switching seats.

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - What happened to the original JFK-ORD segment? Why did AA cancel your segment. Make sure that this isn't an error.

As others note, do the research for the alternatives and have them ready by flight # for the agent when you call.
Looks like the JFK-ORD segment moved from 8am to 7am so then I couldn't meet the MCT since the flight from GIG doesn't get in til 6:30am.

Follow-up Q: My upgrade has already cleared so if I switch to GIG-MIA-ORD and there's no upgrade space avAilable, will I go back on the waitlist with my original ticketing date or the re-ticketed new date?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:40 pm

Yes. Typo! Going to call but wanted to figure out my options beforehand.

Only a small carryon, so not a big deal but would like to avoid the hassle.

Paid flight.

It's been years since I booked a flight more than a couple weeks out so good to know re: notice practices. I assumed (wrongly) that they'd send notice when the change was made. Lesson learned. Fortunately I've been checking b/c I've been looking at switching seats.

Looks like the JFK-ORD segment moved from 8am to 7am so then I couldn't meet the MCT since the flight from GIG doesn't get in til 6:30am.

Follow-up Q: My upgrade has already cleared so if I switch to GIG-MIA-ORD and there's no upgrade space avAilable, will I go back on the waitlist with my original ticketing date or the re-ticketed new date?
Can you get a later flight JFK-ORD? That's got to besst bus or taxi or ? To LGA.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Can you get a later flight JFK-ORD? That's got to besst bus or taxi or ? To LGA.
Unfortunately, JFK-ORD is only 2x daily with the other flight being at 5pm - way too long a layover for me. All the traffic is LGA-ORD (16x daily), so it's gonna be either LGA or re-route through MIA.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

They SHOULD be able to protect your upgrade. Do you have any status? Unless you can confirm the upgrade request timestamp on the new reservation will be retained (and speak to a supervisor to explicilty confirm) I would not take a 'no'. HUCA (hang up call again) if you dontge the right answer ("let me think about this- Ill call back")
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would insist that they protect the upgrade, though I don't know what their policy/practice is in this case (if, say, the GIG-JFK flight was removed from the schedule and the compute re-routed you via MIA, then they probably would.).
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:23 pm

I've had upgrades protected - even extending to JBV partners.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
They SHOULD be able to protect your upgrade. Do you have any status? Unless you can confirm the upgrade request timestamp on the new reservation will be retained (and speak to a supervisor to explicilty confirm) I would not take a 'no'. HUCA (hang up call again) if you dontge the right answer ("let me think about this- Ill call back")
Yes, I'm ExPlt. First call I got a "no", but the agent did allow me to move my outbound flight to GIG by 2 days without any re-fare / change fees. ^

I called back a little later and the next agent had me re-booked through MIA on the return flight with the upgrade protected - took her all of 60 seconds tops to make the change and assign me seats. And I get the added bonus of a 763 from MIA-ORD.

I also asked the second agent about not getting notice re the schedule change - I've now had two on this reservation. She said there've been a ton of schedule changes with merger of the res systems and to watch my reservations closely over the next several months.

Last edited by XLR26; Sep 5, 2015 at 10:55 pm
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Checked my confirmation email and the outbound (ORD-MIA-GIG) now shows ORD-MIA has been upgraded but the MIA-GIG is waitlisted. I don't want to waste the SWU on ORD-MIA if the MIA-GIG doesn't clear. Any strategy to follow in this type of scenario?

Also, when they protected my upgrade on the return, the booking code now shows J whereas before it was C. Is that standard? Any additional benefit to J, like extra EQP?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.