crummy old 737s at ORD

Old Aug 28, 15, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2015 kettle
crummy old 737s at ORD

I'm new to AA, having flown about 8 flights on them this year out of ORD. I've been on 737's each time, and each time has been a crummy old bird. I have been told there are a lot of 737s with tv screens at each seat, but I haven't seen one, granted I have only been on 8 flights. Do these newer guppies exist at ORD, or maybe are they kept in DFW? Just wondering--I enjoy having directv to help pass time on mid con flights to LAX or LAS. Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 15, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
crummy old 737s at ORD

Laptop?
Old Aug 28, 15, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Um, even the new ones don't have Direct Tv. They have pre-loaded programming on the PTVs. Just FYI.
Old Aug 28, 15, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2015 kettle
[QUOTE=UAPremierGuy;25344010]Um, even the new ones don't have Direct Tv. They have pre-loaded programming on the PTVs. Just FYI.[/QUOTE

Got it. Having access to the 250 movies and 180 tv shows is good enough, as it saves me having to carry a laptop if I want to watch something. Hope eventually I'll see a new guppy at ORD.
Old Aug 28, 15, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
I have been on six 737 flights in/out of ORD since late July and two of those were the new birds with in-seat PTVs. Both flights were outbound and both were to LAS! Luckily I was in F for both flights as I hear in Y only limited programming is free. There is a charge for most of the options.
Old Aug 28, 15, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Originally Posted by mickeydfly13 View Post
I'm new to AA, having flown about 8 flights on them this year out of ORD. I've been on 737's each time, and each time has been a crummy old bird. I have been told there are a lot of 737s with tv screens at each seat, but I haven't seen one, granted I have only been on 8 flights. Do these newer guppies exist at ORD, or maybe are they kept in DFW? Just wondering--I enjoy having directv to help pass time on mid con flights to LAX or LAS. Thanks.
None of AAs 737s have DirecTV or any Live TV offering. They are however testing about four news/sports/financial news channels on a couple 77Ws-again this is just testing. Furthermore UA is moving away from LiveTV/DirecTV and toward content streaming on equipment supplied by the passenger.

The AA 738 fleet rotates throughout the system, although some longer flights are earmarked for the newest of the new 73A fleet-those equipped with AVOD-but even those flights see other versions of the plane.

A little history:
When AA first received the newer 738s in April 2009 (N979AN+) they were delegated exclusively to ORD. Then sometime in mid-late 2011 those newer builds got moved to MIA and the older 76 738s delivered between 1999-2001 went back to ORD. At the time those planes had a different seating configuration of 16F/132Y and AA only staffed three F/As while the newer, 160 seat (4 F/A) birds were concentrated in MIA and to a lesser extent DFW/LAX

If you think AA 738s are bad go experience the MD-80s...
Old Aug 28, 15, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
DirecTV? is the OP in the right thread or does he need to be in the UA thread? PTV is overrated anyways, you have to pay to use it in coach.

Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
Whats wrong with the S80s? They have the widest seats in coach of any AA aircraft. I like being on the left side with only 2 seats in a row.
Old Aug 28, 15, 9:52 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
The new planes rotate throughout the system. I flew on one LGA-ORD. In my experience, LAX/DCA is the route I have most consistently gotten a new 737. You can tell if it's a new plane by looking at the seat map--the new planes will start with row 8 rather than row 7 in Y and have 6 rows of MCE (excluding the exit rows) instead of 3.

Note, though, that in coach the programming is very limited, and TBH I like the cloth seats of the old planes over the faux leather seats on the new planes.

Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post

Originally Posted by Col Ronson View Post
Whats wrong with the S80s? They have the widest seats in coach of any AA aircraft. I like being on the left side with only 2 seats in a row.
Agree 110%. Given the choice between a 738 and an M80, I would pick the M80 every time in both Y and F. Gonna miss them when they're gone, esp since they are being replaced primarily by the A319.
Old Aug 29, 15, 6:39 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Wow you think AAs 737s are crummy.....just wait until you're routed on a US Airways A319/A320/A321 LOL....enjoy!!
Old Aug 29, 15, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
They do exist because that's the aircraft I have been on for my last two flights from BOS-ORD. Not sure where it goes after that.
Old Aug 29, 15, 7:37 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Wow you think AAs 737s are crummy.....just wait until you're routed on a US Airways A319/A320/A321 LOL....enjoy!!
To be fair, many of the US A321 are relatively new, and I find them comfortable, particularly in Row 10.
Old Aug 29, 15, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just check flightstats.com 24 hours before your flight and check the equipment. If it's N939NN to N973NN then it's a TV equipped bird.
Old Aug 29, 15, 9:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Gold, GE
Have had them from ORD to LAX, BOS, LGA and DCA...when I flew the ORD-LAX segment that flight was consistently AVOD. But now they banked the ORD schedules and everything goes back to random luck...
Old Aug 29, 15, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
None of the 737s AA owns qualify as old in my opinion, but to each their one.

The number of 737s with PTVs is much lower than the number of 737s without PTVs so assume that you wont' have PTVs and be pleasantly surprised if you do.
Old Aug 29, 15, 12:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA currently has 257 Boeing 737-823s in the fleet, with a further 46 on order - and orders for 100 Boeing 737-8 MAX aircraft.

In the end, I'm guessing the older 738s will be found on shorter services (DFW-SAT and the like) and secondary routes (DFW-SMF) where the remaining 96 of the nearly four hundred original MD-80s are currently flying.

Yeah, that does mean by the end 2017, when the last "Mad Dog" (of 389 of all MD-80 types operated) will make its final flight to ROW / Roswell, NM.

Search this Thread