Best business class seat, 77W or 772?

Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Best business class seat, 77W or 772?

Not sure if this has been addressed as a heads up comparison, please point me in the right direction/thread if it has. DFW-LHR has two aircraft, the 77W and 772. I know that right now they have not done a CIP for this route on the 772, but am hoping they will by July of 2016. With that being said, is there a consensus on which biz seat is better between the NGBC of the 772 and the 77W? Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Atxbobcat
Not sure if this has been addressed as a heads up comparison, please point me in the right direction/thread if it has. DFW-LHR has two aircraft, the 77W and 772. I know that right now they have not done a CIP for this route on the 772, but am hoping they will by July of 2016. With that being said, is there a consensus on which biz seat is better between the NGBC of the 772 and the 77W? Thank you in advance.
The 77W is the best J seat in the fleet.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
The 77W is the best J seat in the fleet.
Great, thank you so much for the info!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Yeah, this one is easy. Take the 77W J seat all day.

Personally, I like the mini cabin for the flight over (less people moving about so sleep is easier) and the main J cabin coming back.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Definitely take the 77W J seat over the NGBC 772 (non refurb). Book a window seat if traveling solo. If traveling in a pair, you may find the middle section seats easier for conversing.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We've moved your query to the proper forum (AA and US operate as separate airlines until October 17), where you'll find extensive threads discussing the 777-323ER / 77W, and the two types of 777-223ER / 772 flying currently: the vast majority are still three class "NGBC" with no MCE, and 4~5 are converted via CIP to two class aircraft with MCE and fully horizontal business seats.

/Moderator
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austin787
Definitely take the 77W J seat over the NGBC 772 (non refurb). Book a window seat if traveling solo. If traveling in a pair, you may find the middle section seats easier for conversing.
I knew I probably interchanged the two terms when I shouldn't have(NGBC vs. CIP) If I have it right, the CIP is the Herring Bone design that has rear-facing seats? Those are similar to CX J and US A320 J correct? I was reading a few people really liked this layout because they found it easier to sleep facing backward and that the rear-facing seats put the head towards the middle of the cabin as opposed to the aisles which also helped noise control from people moving up and down the aisles for lav and mini bar. But it seems like the 77W is the clear winner based on everyone's input so far. Thanks for all of the responses!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
We've moved your query to the proper forum (AA and US operate as separate airlines until October 17), where you'll find extensive threads discussing the 777-323ER / 77W, and the two types of 777-223ER / 772 flying currently: the vast majority are still three class "NGBC" with no MCE, and 4~5 are converted via CIP to two class aircraft with MCE and fully horizontal business seats.

/Moderator
Thanks for putting this in its proper home, and for clarifying the difference between the two 772 configurations and their vernacular.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
I knew I probably interchanged the two terms when I shouldn't have(NGBC vs. CIP) If I have it right, the CIP is the Herring Bone design that has rear-facing seats? Those are similar to CX J and US A320 J correct? I was reading a few people really liked this layout because they found it easier to sleep facing backward and that the rear-facing seats put the head towards the middle of the cabin as opposed to the aisles which also helped noise control from people moving up and down the aisles for lav and mini bar. But it seems like the 77W is the clear winner based on everyone's input so far. Thanks for all of the responses!
The 77W by far and its because the 787 and 772CIP J seat have a major flaw that has seats "paired together" creating an ability to feel quite strongly every movement the seat paired with yours makes. Its a horrible design and is problematic on overnight flights. If your seatmates rolls over, you're feeling it.

No issue at all like that on the 77W
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
The 77W by far and its because the 787 and 772CIP J seat have a major flaw that has seats "paired together" creating an ability to feel quite strongly every movement the seat paired with yours makes. Its a horrible design and is problematic on overnight flights. If your seatmates rolls over, you're feeling it.

No issue at all like that on the 77W
Great insight, thanks! This is going to be award travel and I will be flying with my wife and child so I figure I can put them in the paired seats and sleep like a baby by myself in a window seat. That is if I can not figure out a way to book the 772 and then change the award to the 77W.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
Yeah, this one is easy. Take the 77W J seat all day.

Personally, I like the mini cabin for the flight over (less people moving about so sleep is easier) and the main J cabin coming back.
Why so?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Why so?
Not trying to speak for AlwaysSunnyInORD, but I assume it is because there isn't a real need to sleep on the return since it is daytime. And I hear people report being neglected by FAs in the mini cabin, which wouldn't be a big issue during the outbound since you would presumably sleep most of the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.