Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Nested Reservation Tomorrow [25 Aug]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Advice for Nested Reservation Tomorrow [25 Aug]

Just looking for some quick advice on how to handle a peculiar situation. I have the following reservations:

PNR1:
A. 8/25: LAX > PHL arrives 1 PM
B. 8/26: PHL > LAX departs 1:40 PM

PNR2:
C. 8/25 PHL > ATL Departs 4 PM

PNR3:
D. ATL > LAX Departs 7:15 AM

The weird booking is due to a last minute change in plans and the inability to do a CFC due to mixed AA/US metal.

My plan is to fly A > C > D, and abandon segment B. Should I inform AA that I'm not going to use segment B when I finish segment A, or should I just let it slide?

Normally I'd say the polite thing to do is let AA know that I'm not flying the segment, but who knows with all the computers/bureaucracy. I'd hate to end up in a sticky situation "because there's no <darn> reason for it...those are the rules!" Thanks!

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 25, 2015 at 12:05 am Reason: Removed profanity
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
There are no conflicts on itinerary, however what date is D? As far as AA is concerned you may have a separate LAX PHL segment to hook up with trip B. I wouldn't bother telling AA, just don't make a habit of it. It will cost you more to credit the unused segment.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
If you cancel B before flight time, whatever residual value - less change fee - remains for a future trip. This may net to zero, however
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Segment D is also on August 26, so I'm a bit nervous about messing it up somehow.

The whole ticket for pnr1 was $223, so I figure there won't be any residual value.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lobo411
Thanks for the replies! Segment D is also on August 26, so I'm a bit nervous about messing it up somehow.
I'm a bit surprised that segments B and D didn't get flagged as an "impossible" itinerary. In any case, enjoy the trip
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I typically have my travel agent cancel the segment once I am in the air on the first leg. That way nobody is looking for me, etc, etc. There is an unused ticket coupon sitting somewhere but it will never be looked at by an AA agent.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Doesn't AA's res system spot multiple bookings for the same person on the same day? If there's residual value to remain in the initial ticket, call and cancel to claim it. Otherwise, it's a courtesy to cancel so the seat can be resold or reassigned.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd be more concerned that AA will notice the two bookings for the same day (is it technically impossible to fly both of these flights?) and cancel both of them. I don't know how likely this is or when it would happen if it will happen. In other words, if the B segment is going to be cancelled, does it need to be cancelled early or not?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies! Since it seemed like there was no real urgency to cancel, I put it off all the way until 7 AM Eastern yesterday--I was actually sitting in my seat for Segment D at the time. The Plat # had a 20 min callback time, though, so I hung up and canceled Segment B via aa.com.

No problems with any of the other segments, and I got a sticker upgrade for Segment D (thank goodness...I had read horror stories about the A319 in Y on a 2000 mile flight!).

It was definitely impossible for me to be back at PHL in time for Segment B (I arrived at LAX at 8:30 AM Pacific), so I'm glad AA's systems aren't as proactive as I had feared!

I didn't bother checking for residual value. The r/t ticket including taxes was $230, so I'm sure there was nothing left after deducting the $200 change fee. I was mainly interested in avoiding a scenario like what MSPeconomist described--getting canceled out and stranded with no ticket home!

Thanks again!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies! Since it seemed like there was no real urgency to cancel, I put it off all the way until 7 AM Eastern yesterday--I was actually sitting in my seat for Segment D at the time. The Plat # had a 20 min callback time, though, so I hung up and canceled Segment B via aa.com.

No problems with any of the other segments, and I got a sticker upgrade for Segment D (thank goodness...I had read horror stories about the A319 in Y on a 2000 mile flight!).

It was definitely impossible for me to be back at PHL in time for Segment B (I arrived at LAX at 8:30 AM Pacific), so I'm glad AA's systems aren't as proactive as I had feared!

I didn't bother checking for residual value. The r/t ticket including taxes was $230, so I'm sure there was nothing left after deducting the $200 change fee. I was mainly interested in avoiding a scenario like what MSPeconomist described--getting canceled out and stranded with no ticket home!

Thanks again!
Glad your trip worked out. I seem to remember a circumstance in my travels that suggested the AA systems were looking at multiple bookings for the same passenger on the same day. Don't remember it involving automatic cancellations.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I didn't bother checking for residual value. The r/t ticket including taxes was $230, so I'm sure there was nothing left after deducting the $200 change fee.
Is it possible to get the per-segment taxes on segment B refunded? I can't remember if AA will do that, and I don't know if it's worth the effort for the $10 or whatever it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.