Rebook now or just no show?

Old Aug 24, 15, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Rebook now or just no show?

I'm wondering how this would work?

I have a RT transcon AA SFO-JFK-SFO. I am doing the outbound, however I am planning to drive back. This would mean I am not using the return portion of the trip. My original plan was to fly, but plans change. I will of course fly between SFO and JFK in the future, but I don't have any dates set.

My ticket is booked I fare, and as per my ticket conditions, there is a $200 change fee. As I do not have date set, if I rebook the return now, it would likely mean I have to pay the fee twice (since I would be changing it again). I want to avoid this.

So can I simply no-show and then rebook it when I have figured out a date I can use the return portion of the ticket? Or will my ticket have no value if I no-show?
Old Aug 24, 15, 1:02 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A no show = no residual value on the ticket
Old Aug 24, 15, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Mmmm, that's what I figured. Okay, I will rebook it then.
Old Aug 24, 15, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No need to immediately re-book. Simply call before departure and notify AA that you want to cancel. Then you can re-book at your leisure (within the one year limit).
Old Aug 24, 15, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Wait until after you have flown the outbound. Otherwise, they may reprice it as a one way at the current pricing.
Old Aug 24, 15, 5:26 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It occurred to me that you need not re-book immediately. The residual value of the ticket will be available for up to 1 year from the date of issue. Just keep the ticket number on hand, and when you are ready to re-book, provide the agent the ticket number and the remaining value, less change fee will be applied to the new booking.
Old Aug 24, 15, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Wow - you are a true road warrior!
Old Aug 31, 15, 11:59 am
Original Poster

So call to cancel the ticket and then rebook later sounds like an excellent plan. Then I can rebook as a round trip?
Old Aug 31, 15, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Don't even have to call. Just pull up your reservation online after you've flown the outbound and click "cancel."
Old Aug 31, 15, 5:13 pm

Cancel only a few minutes before sched departure, hoping for a flight delay. If delayed, call to request a refund or $200 change waiver.
Old Sep 2, 15, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

I have flown the outbound sector already. I do not see a cancel option on the website; perhaps it's because I booked through Expedia?
Old Sep 3, 15, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I have flown the outbound sector already. I do not see a cancel option on the website; perhaps it's because I booked through Expedia?
D'oh.

Just leave the ticket open. No need to sweat the date.
Old Sep 7, 15, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old Sep 7, 15, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, you can just abandon the return flight(s) and not suffer any consequences. However, should there be a significant schedule change, you may be able to call in and get a refund or push the date out for later use without a fee. Also, by cancelling the flight, you may allow someone else to get confirmed on that flight and keep them from sweating it out at the gate. You need to decide your travel karma quota and do what you feel is right.
Old Sep 7, 15, 5:08 pm

airlines overbook, mary

Search this Thread