Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Can't apply value from old USA-based ticket for new ticket originating in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't apply value from old USA-based ticket for new ticket originating in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine

I've spoken to two different agents and a supervisor today trying to apply a ticket that had wholly US travel to a new ticket that originates in Europe, with travel to the US.

However AA claims I cannot use my previous ticket towards this one, despite on a previous occasion using a U.S.-based ticket for one that originates in Europe.

First I was told today I couldn't use the previous ticket was because of the currency (euros) – – but the reservation was priced in US dollars on AA.com

Then was told it was due to the country of origin of the first ticket being based in the U.S.

I find it it messed up because I can purchase the same ticket reservation on hold with cash (credit card), but AA will not allow me to use a previous US-based ticket towards it.

This is not a mistake fare, just an exceptional business-class fare.

Am I getting the runaround from American or is what they've said true?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:09 pm

Max M

I saw your question when it was posted but did not have time to respond. Just got back on FT and surprised no one responded.

From my experience they are correct. I have always been told you can not change the country of origin. They did it for me one time and the next agent that saw the record said this was illegal. I have been ticketing and flying out of many Asian , Europe , and South American cities for quite a few years. I normally only do refundable tickets. I did cancel a non-refundable out of the UK and had to use the residual value originating out of the UK.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
The explanation I've been given for this is that although the displayed currency is the same, the base fare is in the country of origin's currency. So although you see it in USD, that's calculated from an EUR base fare, which cannot be applied to USD (ex-US) tickets.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Yes, there is such a rule.

Up until this year it was cannot change country of origin for a ticket, now changed to cannot change currency of origin.

Some posting on it here:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showt...?t=3877&page=3
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I have run into this problem when trying to make use of several unused tickets from Canada back to the US. I was trying to use them for new trips that originated in the US. No can do said AA. They could only be used for trips originating in Canada.

Seems pretty archaic to me but those are indeed the rules.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I too have been faced with this issue and told the same thing. One agent suggested I contact AA refunds and ask them to issue a voucher less the change fee since the passengers no longer lived nor would originate in Europe.

Of course getting through to the 817 number is impossible to speak to a person so I sent through a request on the refund website stating exactly what the agent had recommended. Imagine my surprise when I received full refunds to the credit card. All round win for me but I think I was extremely lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.