AA Business class v. BA first - which aircraft?

Old Aug 20, 15, 8:34 am
Original Poster

AA Business class v. BA first - which aircraft?

We will be flying from TPA to FCO next year. I have narrowed it down to business MS on an AA aircraft 333; or first MS on BA aircraft 777. Which is the preferable plane, considering the particular class? I don't see much chance of getting MS first with AA on this route. I definitely
Old Aug 20, 15, 8:56 am

BA don't run a 1st class service from TPA to London - if you want BA F you'll need to route through MIA

So if that is your plan I'd go for BA F

But if your options are AA J v BA J then I'd go for AA - soft product BA wins but for the seat and IFE AA wins
Old Aug 20, 15, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mooreva View Post
We will be flying from TPA to FCO next year. I have narrowed it down to business MS on an AA aircraft 333; or first MS on BA aircraft 777. Which is the preferable plane, considering the particular class? I don't see much chance of getting MS first with AA on this route. I definitely
You're aware of the fuel surcharges BA will charge on award tickets? Likely many hundreds of dollars versus less than $100 or so for AA.
Old Aug 20, 15, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by AyeCaramba View Post
BA don't run a 1st class service from TPA to London - if you want BA F you'll need to route through MIA
<snipped>
For that matter, AA doesn't run Business class from TPA to London.
That said, I am curious about why the OP is not considering other ways to get to FCO.

OP: There are no MS awards on BA. The miles required might be the same, but they aren't called MS. For awards on AA, they are called MS because AA has more than one award level. On partner carriers, AA only has one.
Old Aug 20, 15, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
You're aware of the fuel surcharges BA will charge on award tickets? Likely many hundreds of dollars versus less than $100 or so for AA.
But our destination is not London. It is Rome. Is there still a charge? I thought the charge was for port fees for the London airport. If not, thanks for the warning. I would prefer to go through MIA or PHL sdirect to FCO.
Old Aug 20, 15, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
But our destination is not London. It is Rome. Is there still a charge? I thought the charge was for port fees for the London airport. If not, thanks for the warning. I would prefer to go through MIA or PHL sdirect to FCO.
BA still charges a fuel surcharge for award tickets.
Old Aug 20, 15, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
BA still charges a fuel surcharge for award tickets.
Even if made through AA? And will AA charge a hefty fuel charge if I book through them on a BA flight to Rome?
Old Aug 20, 15, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
For that matter, AA doesn't run Business class from TPA to London.
That said, I am curious about why the OP is not considering other ways to get to FCO.

OP: There are no MS awards on BA. The miles required might be the same, but they aren't called MS. For awards on AA, they are called MS because AA has more than one award level. On partner carriers, AA only has one.
I am trying every way I can think of for other routes to Rome - through ATL; MIA; NYC; D.C.; ORD; CLT, ETC. But what I didn't make clear is that I am booking through AA, not through BA. However, some flights from PHL are on BA's planes.

If you have other suggestions, they would be most welcome. I just didn't like the looks of business class seats on the 777's, which BA flies; and the reviews were bad. The busines class seats on the Airbus look much better. Has anyone had any experience with the 330/333's?
Old Aug 20, 15, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DM, AS MVPG, MR Plat, HH Diamond
I am trying every way I can think of for other routes to Rome - through ATL; MIA; NYC; D.C.; ORD; CLT, ETC. But what I didn't make clear is that I am booking through AA, not through BA. However, some flights from PHL are on BA's planes.

If you have other suggestions, they would be most welcome. I just didn't like the looks of business class seats on the 777's, which BA flies; and the reviews were bad. The busines class seats on the Airbus look much better. Has anyone had any experience with the 330/333's?
US 330/333 is a reverse herringbone - much better than CW on BA and un-CIP 772/767 on AA J.
Old Aug 20, 15, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Even if made through AA? And will AA charge a hefty fuel charge if I book through them on a BA flight to Rome?
Sounds like you need to read some of the master threads concerning award travel with AA and partner airlines. I am not at a computer so can't do the searching.

But simply, avoid BA except for short intra-europe hops. Aim for AA TATL at all costs (but you'll likely not find any milesaver award). IB is an option but cannot be booked on aa.com so you must call.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I recently priced out DFW-LHR on BA in F. I think it was 125k miles and $1300 or so RT.
Old Aug 20, 15, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
Sounds like you need to read some of the master threads concerning award travel with AA and partner airlines. I am not at a computer so can't do the searching.

But simply, avoid BA except for short intra-europe hops. Aim for AA TATL at all costs (but you'll likely not find any milesaver award). IB is an option but cannot be booked on aa.com so you must call.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I recently priced out DFW-LHR on BA in F. I think it was 125k miles and $1300 or so RT.

Yes, I finally logged in with my Aadvantage no. and clicked on a BA flight to Rome - over $900 in charges! I then checked on an AA flight, and the cost was $12. Should have done this before and not bothered all of you. But I do appreciate your info. You potentially saved me $900+. Am scratching BA flights, at least those going to Europe.
Old Aug 20, 15, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

You could also look for Iberia flights from MIA-MAD-FCO ( not sure what the charges would be) to use your AA miles

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 20, 15, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA
If you don't like the BA business class seats on the 777, you won't like them on the A380 as they are essentially the same.
Old Aug 20, 15, 4:16 pm

A BA 1st Class itin will beat any AA Business or First any day of the week. If you build in some extra time you can enjoy the Concorde lounge in T5
Old Aug 20, 15, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
This is a distinction without a difference. Some AA partners like CX and AS have award tiers that their own members can take advantage of with more availability and that cost more miles, but the AA award availability generally maps to the "cheap" availability on partners. AA doesn't have the equivalent of AAnytime awards on partners, so while it's technically true that they're not MileSAAver awards, the concept of capacity-restricted awards (and the cost in miles) is equivalent.

Search this Thread