Aircraft Swap 997 DFW-EZE 8/20

Old Aug 19, 15, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Aircraft Swap 997 DFW-EZE 8/20

Hi all. Just wondering if any of you have experienced something similar to this and what ended up happening to you. I'm scheduled on 997 tomorrow from DFW-EZE. The flight was supposed to be a 787 but just found out from a friend traveling on the same flight that it shows a 777-200 😢. I booked a coach ticket and used a systemwide upgrade to biz which cleared a week ago. Right now, it shows my seat as 6L which is the one I chose on the 787. There is however no 6L on the 777-200. I pulled up the seat map (which shows the 777-200) and tried to switch to an open biz seat but got an error. I called the EXP desk and they had no luck either and said it's all in the airport's control even though it is over 24 hours out. I also have 3 friends that were booked into MCE all together but that is now in shambles too. Is my only hope to show up at the airport really early to try and get them sitting together and also hopefully still get a biz seat for myself? I'm sure it won't happen to me since I used a SWU on this flight but will AA open up the 1st cabin on the 777 and move paid biz class people or elites up there? (As of about 4 hours ago the aircraft was still a 787 with the correct seat map. If you go to book a ticket now on it though it still shows a 788 next to equipment type but clicking the seat map shows the 777). Any advice about what to do or not do in this instance or what I should expect to happen is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
smuDC-10
Old Aug 19, 15, 4:12 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 772 has 35 seats in Business and the 788 has 27 (+1 pilot rest). Plus in a pinch there is the F cabin with 15 (+1 pilot rest) seats.

Your upgrade is safe. Now it's just a matter of not being stuck in the middle seat in J. Get to the airport early to get the seat you desire.

And the reason for the delay is the 788 had a mechanical problem in DFW.

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Status Search:
Departing on 08/20/15
Flying AA flight 997

Flight   Status           Depart Location  Depart Date                   Reliability  Arrive Location  Arrive Date
                          DFW              Scheduled: 08/20/15 9:50 PM                EZE              Scheduled: 08/21/15 10:21 AM
AA 997   Scheduled        Term: D          Estimated:                    57% / 40m    Term:            Estimated: 
                          Gate: D33        Actual:                                    Gate:            Actual: 

Comments:
" DTE CHNG FLT  ORIG 20AUG
DFW                     950P D  D33   
EZE              1021A
5DFW/6DFW-EZE NRML 787 WLOP 772 CONFIG 16/37/194 EDM 8AB OTS DFW
FTWDPAA HUFFMAN  *1118"
Old Aug 19, 15, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
The 772 has 35 seats in Business and the 788 has 27 (+1 pilot rest). Plus in a pinch there is the F cabin with 15 (+1 pilot rest) seats.

Your upgrade is safe. Now it's just a matter of not being stuck in the middle seat in J. Get to the airport early to get the seat you desire.

And the reason for the delay is the 788 had a mechanical problem in DFW.

Code:
Flight Status Search:
Departing on 08/20/15
Flying AA flight 997

Flight   Status           Depart Location  Depart Date                   Reliability  Arrive Location  Arrive Date
                          DFW              Scheduled: 08/20/15 9:50 PM                EZE              Scheduled: 08/21/15 10:21 AM
AA 997   Scheduled        Term: D          Estimated:                    57% / 40m    Term:            Estimated: 
                          Gate: D33        Actual:                                    Gate:            Actual: 

Comments:
EZE              1021A
5DFW/6DFW-EZE NRML 787 WLOP 772 CONFIG 16/37/194 EDM 8AB OTS DFW
FTWDPAA HUFFMAN  *1118"
Thank you. I'm happy as long as I have a seat somewhere in business. I feel terrible for my friends though that went from MCE to God knows where. If I had other SWU's I'd put them on the list but I just used my last one. Maybe they'll be some kiosk upgrades available since there now will probably be an abundance of premium seats. 2 are platinum and 1 is gold so maybe they can figure something out.
Old Aug 20, 15, 4:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Strangely enough, it seems they've "re-3-classed" the flight, by adding F fare buckets and showing a first class cabin instead of showing both first and business as business. In any event, if it were me I'd call and push harder to get a non-crappy seat assignment in business, and I'd do that immediately. The business seat map is filling up, and many of them are seats that didn't exist on the 787 which means someone is getting those seats. Other than sitting in coach or having the flight horribly delayed/cancelled, the only thing worse than having an equipment swap from fully flat to angle flat is getting swapped from fully flat to angle flat middle seat.
Old Aug 20, 15, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
Strangely enough, it seems they've "re-3-classed" the flight, by adding F fare buckets and showing a first class cabin instead of showing both first and business as business. In any event, if it were me I'd call and push harder to get a non-crappy seat assignment in business, and I'd do that immediately. The business seat map is filling up, and many of them are seats that didn't exist on the 787 which means someone is getting those seats. Other than sitting in coach or having the flight horribly delayed/cancelled, the only thing worse than having an equipment swap from fully flat to angle flat is getting swapped from fully flat to angle flat middle seat.
Yeah it's very strange. As of this morning it still shows me in 6L. I called the EXP desk again last night and got a few more answers. She called another department to try and switch my seat and was unsuccessful. She did tell me that 13A has been blocked for me by the airport but she tried and couldn't get me switched. The airport is apparently wielding all the power in this situation. It surprises me that they are selling 1st on this flight as well because, as of yesterday at noon, it was still scheduled as an aircraft without 1st class. I can't imagine anyone buying a last minute ticket in 1st especially since it is at the flexible/more expensive rate. I'm sure 1st will probably end up being a giant nonrev party on his flight...
Old Aug 20, 15, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by smuDC-10 View Post
I'm sure 1st will probably end up being a giant nonrev party on his flight...
It's very possible, though I could see a few people in paid business burning SWUs or miles+copay to jump to first. The whole thing is strange though, especially about the phone agent claiming to be unable to sort out seat assignments.
Old Aug 20, 15, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
It's very possible, though I could see a few people in paid business burning SWUs or miles+copay to jump to first. The whole thing is strange though, especially about the phone agent claiming to be unable to sort out seat assignments.
+1

This exactly what I would do - burn an SWU to get into first.
Old Aug 20, 15, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think they now sell the original 772 F as J cabin.

Had the same issue with seats selection not long ago
Old Aug 20, 15, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by IflyonAA View Post

Not on this flight they're not.
Old Aug 20, 15, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IflyonAA View Post

I wish they were doing that but unfortunately they're not in this instance. Oh well, one more flight in the wedgie makers is I guess better than a cancelled flight.
Old Aug 20, 15, 10:25 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had this happen multiple times on flights to/from Brazil when a 77W switched to a 772. No phone agent could do anything for me.
Old Aug 20, 15, 2:59 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the aircraft has switched back to a 788.

Code:
Flight Status Search:
Departing on 08/20/15
Flying AA flight 997

AA 997   Scheduled        Term: D          Estimated:                    66% / 42m    Term:            Estimated: 

Comments:
EZE              1021A
5DFW/FF
6DFW-EZE WILL NOW OPT IN NRML 7878 CONFIG 28/198 ACCT
OPNL                                                            FTWDPAA SIMONS  *1519"

Search this Thread