Short "Connection" Time

Old Aug 19, 15, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG
Short "Connection" Time

Hi all,

Just needed your advice/guidance on an upcoming "mileage run" that I'm doing. In a rather impulsive move I decided to book ORD-MIA-ORD early next month so that I could 1) take advantage of a cheap fare and 2) fly in the new 767 business class (assuming the aircraft isn't subbed). The issue is that my I arrive at 3:59 and then depart again at 4:45. I know that this is a legal connection... but will American treat this trip as two separate trips? My worry is that I will miss the return flight due to weather, etc. and American will say that I simply missed the return trip rather than missed a connection. I have looked around for an answer but haven't found anything... Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 19, 15, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw View Post
Hi all,

Just needed your advice/guidance on an upcoming "mileage run" that I'm doing. In a rather impulsive move I decided to book ORD-MIA-ORD early next month so that I could 1) take advantage of a cheap fare and 2) fly in the new 767 business class (assuming the aircraft isn't subbed). The issue is that my I arrive at 3:59 and then depart again at 4:45. I know that this is a legal connection... but will American treat this trip as two separate trips? My worry is that I will miss the return flight due to weather, etc. and American will say that I simply missed the return trip rather than missed a connection. I have looked around for an answer but haven't found anything... Thanks in advance!
Either way, AA is going to put you in the next available seat in your class. If the inbound is due to weather, you aren't entitled to anything any way. If the inbound is due to MX then AA should give you a hotel, etc if forced to stay overnight.
Old Aug 19, 15, 10:34 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
If the return to MIA is a 763 too it's probably the same plane and crew so if the inbound is late you will be fine. Just make sure you check-in for the return on the App prior to 45 minutes before departure.
Old Aug 19, 15, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The only issue here is that if you were to arrive too late to catch your return, AA would not be obligated to provide a hotel/food, even if the late arrival is due to an MX.

You will not be connecting in MIA, but rather starting your return on a RT ticket. Doesn't mean an inattentive agent won't issue one, but not much to say if the agent won't.
Old Aug 19, 15, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks!! Unfortunately ORD-MIA is on a 737. Is it worth it for me to get to O'Hare early and try to get standby on an earlier flight?
Old Aug 19, 15, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The only issue here is that if you were to arrive too late to catch your return, AA would not be obligated to provide a hotel/food, even if the late arrival is due to an MX.

You will not be connecting in MIA, but rather starting your return on a RT ticket. Doesn't mean an inattentive agent won't issue one, but not much to say if the agent won't.
Exactly my worry... In hindsight I should have booked an earlier outbound... Lesson learned!
Old Aug 19, 15, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Exactly my worry... In hindsight I should have booked an earlier outbound... Lesson learned!
It's likely almost equally likely that your "earlier" flight could be delayed past the later, original flight or canceled. AA won't strand you, if the worst that happens is you have to pay for your own hotel room, so be it.
Old Aug 19, 15, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My own experience is not recent (2000s), but I was doing a DAL-AUS-DAL turnaround, and the flight down was delayed on the tarmac at DA. I called AA and was told I had the same delay protections on the round trip return as I would on a simple connecting flight, since it was all on a single PNR.
Old Aug 19, 15, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
What date and flight # you have? It could be the same plane on the return. Are there other flights MIA-ORD after your booked ticket, if so then most likely you will be placed on one of them. What is your AA status? One thing about doing MR is being flexible and be prepared what can happen.
Old Aug 19, 15, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Its 339 (ORD-MIA, 737-800) and 1109 (MIA-ORD, 767) on 9/4. There's at least one later MIA-ORD flight... but its on the 737. I am AAdvantage Gold.
Old Aug 19, 15, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Its 339 (ORD-MIA, 737-800) and 1109 (MIA-ORD, 767) on 9/4. There's at least one later MIA-ORD flight... but its on the 737. I am AAdvantage Gold.
Ok, I think you meant 334, not 339, and there are 3 more flights after 1109 that you can get on if you missed the connection. With that being said, here is my thought. You mentioned that the main part of this MR is to get on the refurbished 767 on the return and have lay flat seats. To accomplish this, then it is best to arrive earlier in MIA. There are 5 flights before yours, all on 738. Some things to consider, this is a Friday before a long holiday weekend Labor Day, numerous flyers, your standby odds and upgrade chances as a Gold are at the lower end, but it might work. I would probably try for 1377 or 1168, just to try to get to MIA earlier and try my luck for the upgrade on the 767. Who knows, maybe they might ask for volunteers and you might get a decent voucher for your efforts. I myself have booked a few of the sub $80 rt fares from ORD as well to LAX, LGA, DFW in the hopes for a VDB. No luck, but with you on a Friday, you have a good chance for a bump. My first attempt at the refurbished 767 ORD-MIA did not worked out as my flight was canceled due to mechanical, and I did not get the upgrade as an EXP, this was on 4th of July weekend. Good luck.

Last edited by arollins; Aug 19, 15 at 10:56 pm
Old Aug 24, 15, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins View Post
Ok, I think you meant 334, not 339, and there are 3 more flights after 1109 that you can get on if you missed the connection. With that being said, here is my thought. You mentioned that the main part of this MR is to get on the refurbished 767 on the return and have lay flat seats. To accomplish this, then it is best to arrive earlier in MIA. There are 5 flights before yours, all on 738. Some things to consider, this is a Friday before a long holiday weekend Labor Day, numerous flyers, your standby odds and upgrade chances as a Gold are at the lower end, but it might work. I would probably try for 1377 or 1168, just to try to get to MIA earlier and try my luck for the upgrade on the 767. Who knows, maybe they might ask for volunteers and you might get a decent voucher for your efforts. I myself have booked a few of the sub $80 rt fares from ORD as well to LAX, LGA, DFW in the hopes for a VDB. No luck, but with you on a Friday, you have a good chance for a bump. My first attempt at the refurbished 767 ORD-MIA did not worked out as my flight was canceled due to mechanical, and I did not get the upgrade as an EXP, this was on 4th of July weekend. Good luck.

Thanks for your help! At T-24 I'll check and see which flight has better availability and request a standby. FWIW I am booked into First on the MIA-ORD leg.

Search this Thread