AA complaints department? [Middle Seat]

Old Aug 19, 15, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
AA complaints department? [Middle Seat]

I fly AA pretty often. Not a ridiculous amount but I racked up 200k ff miles worth of flights. (Not bonus miles)

I had a terrible flight on AA a few days ago.

It was a full flight, and they stuck me in a middle row and the window passenger was flying with an infant on her lap. I spent 3 hours getting kicked, drooled on, having stuff spilled on me, and a lollipop stuck to me.

They also made me gate check my only carry on saying their was no room for it, so during a layover I was without all of my belonging as they check it through to my final destination.

I submitted a complaint to AA customer service via their online form requesting a credit or voucher or additional miles but received a form letter back with boiler plate saying they denied my request.

So I called. To which a pissey agent told my "they can't screen who I sit next to, that's against the law" and said they couldn't do anything.

What's the proper more effective procedure to get apology vouchers/credits/apology miles?

So far calling and their form has been useless. Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 15, 9:44 am

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I would advise you to read:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...tion-desk.html
"For example, do not post in the Info Desk about...
One Specific Airline or Program"

On the substance, unfortunately you haven't identified anything that AA did wrong. Someone has to fly in the middle seat. AA can't ensure that an infant behave.
You should always be prepared to gate check a large bag, and take out anything you might need.
Welcome to the reality of travel.
Old Aug 19, 15, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA doesn't owe you compensation. It also doesn't owe you any customer service gesture such as miles/voucher.

You booked a seat, you got a seat. Why was it a middle seat? Maybe that's all there was by the time you chose your seat or checked in. Why a baby next to you? Because people with infants are permitted to travel. Why did it drool on you? Ask the baby.

You got the 100% correct response from AA. Move on.
Old Aug 19, 15, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Thanks for the link. Will read. Apologies for posting in the wrong section.

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I would advise you to read:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...tion-desk.html
"For example, do not post in the Info Desk about...
One Specific Airline or Program"

On the substance, unfortunately you haven't identified anything that AA did wrong. Someone has to fly in the middle seat. AA can't ensure that an infant behave.
You should always be prepared to gate check a large bag, and take out anything you might need.
Welcome to the reality of travel.
Old Aug 19, 15, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
AA doesn't owe you compensation. It also doesn't owe you any customer service gesture such as miles/voucher.

You booked a seat, you got a seat. Why was it a middle seat? Maybe that's all there was by the time you chose your seat or checked in. Why a baby next to you? Because people with infants are permitted to travel. Why did it drool on you? Ask the baby.

You got the 100% correct response from AA. Move on.
OP, Often1's reply is perfect. You aren't owed anything by anyone. Although it might be that you owe an apology to the professional whom you called "pissey."
Old Aug 19, 15, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'm with the other commenters on this one.

Middle seats.....they happen. You either didn't select until too late, purchased late or switched to a flight and got what is available. They suck and I hate them as much as you do.

Infant next to you....they happen. People are too cheap to pay for a seat that would make their own travels much much much more comfortable and the airlines have been made to kowtow to flying families with domestic free flying for those under age of 2 which I think is too much because kids get too big for those narrow seats/seat pitch and free luggage allowance for strollers ect ect.
Did you talk, calmly, to the parent about the kicking and drooling? Parents often become unaware of the effects kids have on an atmosphere. Just to clarify I am not anti-child. I just know firsthand how these things happen.

Gatecheck. Did you board late? With 200k miles you should have status and the ability to board early.
Old Aug 19, 15, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Welcome to FT, Puder.

I'm not sure what there is to complain about. They stuck you in a middle seat because there were no others left. As noted upthread, these are installed for people to sit in. And an infant drooling on you, while not the fault of AA, can happen regardless of where you sit in the plane. It's unfortunate, yes, but there's nothing that AA did wrong. With 200,000 paid and flown miles you'd be an EXP, among the first to board (and with good u/g chance), so the gate-check was the result of being late at the, um, gate. Again, not much you can blame AA for. I'd say invest more efforts elsewhere more wisely.
Old Aug 19, 15, 4:57 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Puder View Post
What's the proper more effective procedure to get apology vouchers/credits/apology miles?

So far calling and their form has been useless. Thanks!
I am not sure the baby is equipped to give you apology vouchers/credits/miles. Calling and sending forms the baby will also prove to be useless.

Errr... You were trying to go after who was responsible for the source of you frustrations, right? The baby should be held accountable for attaching a lollipop to you. I don't see what AA has done wrong here.
Old Aug 19, 15, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Puder.

As seating issues are outside the purview of AA's abilities to control, and due to the nature of these threads getting a bit off topic, we'll close this thread. As its is AA specific, we're archiving this in the AA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Search this Thread