Wiki Posts
Search

An upexpected upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Platinum
An upexpected upgrade

On a flight from Miami to Sao Paulo recently, I called in to request an award upgrade (25000m plus $350) a couple of hours before boarding. I was told that he couldn't do it over the phone and I needed to request (to be on wait list) at the gate. Right after the phone, I checked the waitlist on AA App and found my name already on the list already. And more surprisingly, I was upgraded to business a few minutes before boarding.

So what is this upgrade? I wasn't asked for miles or fees, and I am only Gold this year.

Another thing I noticed when I was constantly refreshing the waitlist, they are not clearing the upgrades by the order it's listed.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Dont know what happened, seems the agent somehow put you on the list.

In terms of 'out of order', that list combines Y to J and J to F upgrade requests, which is the major factor in that phenomena. IMO
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Wow that's fantastic - hope you played the lottery that day :P

I assume you monitored the load - if coach was oversold of course it could have been an op up...
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
If you get an op up, can anyone confirm that your name will be placed on the upgrade list? I always thought only pax who request upgrades see their name.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by TheSinister
If you get an op up, can anyone confirm that your name will be placed on the upgrade list? I always thought only pax who request upgrades see their name.
Agree. I dont think OP was put on the waitlist to do an op up.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by davidwu
On a flight from Miami to Sao Paulo recently, I called in to request an award upgrade (25000m plus $350) a couple of hours before boarding. I was told that he couldn't do it over the phone and I needed to request (to be on wait list) at the gate. Right after the phone, I checked the waitlist on AA App and found my name already on the list already. And more surprisingly, I was upgraded to business a few minutes before boarding.

So what is this upgrade? I wasn't asked for miles or fees, and I am only Gold this year.

Another thing I noticed when I was constantly refreshing the waitlist, they are not clearing the upgrades by the order it's listed.
If you saw your name on the upgrade list, this doesn't sound like an op-up
Maybe you should call AA and tell them about the error and offer to pay for the upgrade. I am sure if the situation was reversed, you would call to complain about them taking your miles and not upgrading you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.