Flight Number the Same on Outbound and Inbound Legs?

Old Aug 11, 15, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, BAEC
Flight Number the Same on Outbound and Inbound Legs?

I've noticed this now on a few different flights I've taken recently, namely DFW-MEX and DFW-SEA where the outbound flight number is identical to the return flight number, has anyone else noticed this and what's the reasoning behind this? Seems like a very strange practice and ripe for a good deal of confusion.
Old Aug 11, 15, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by a_fman View Post
I've noticed this now on a few different flights I've taken recently, namely DFW-MEX and DFW-SEA where the outbound flight number is identical to the return flight number, has anyone else noticed this and what's the reasoning behind this? Seems like a very strange practice and ripe for a good deal of confusion.
There are only so many flight numbers to go around. If you assign outbound and inbound to the same number (DFW-MEX and MEX-DFW, for instance), you are assured that both flights can't be in the air at the same time, so it reduces potential confusion.
Old Aug 11, 15, 9:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage GLD, DL Silver. SPG, Hyatt, ATK, IHG Gold
AA matched inbound to outbound flight numbers a while ago. As far as confusion goes, if you have the flight number, all you need as a passenger is to know whether you're arriving or departing. I find it less confusing than re-using flight numbers for different aircraft such as flight nnn from aaa to bbb via ORD (requires plane change at ORD) - anybody else remember those?
Old Aug 11, 15, 9:34 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Those still exist. Flight 281 MIA to DFW on a 757 and DFW to ICN on a 777. Just not as many as those as before. I only knew about this one as I just took DFW to ICN recently but when checking on the flight times in Flightaware noticed the equipment change.
Old Aug 11, 15, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iplaybass View Post
AA matched inbound to outbound flight numbers a while ago. As far as confusion goes, if you have the flight number, all you need as a passenger is to know whether you're arriving or departing. I find it less confusing than re-using flight numbers for different aircraft such as flight nnn from aaa to bbb via ORD (requires plane change at ORD) - anybody else remember those?
Like AA 82? It goes from DFW-ORD via SFO.
Old Aug 11, 15, 10:08 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Flight 82 is the same equipment, same plane I think. Another example would be flt 137 from DCA- HGK, changes equipment in DFW from 737 DCA-DFW to a 77W DFW-HGK.
Old Aug 11, 15, 2:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
There are only so many flight numbers to go around. If you assign outbound and inbound to the same number (DFW-MEX and MEX-DFW, for instance), you are assured that both flights can't be in the air at the same time, so it reduces potential confusion.
Or they could do what LUS did/does on many flights and have the same aircraft operate both legs, like US516 running MCO-PHX-SMF. Much less confusing than having the outbound and return flights run under the same flight number, and much less misleading than having the same flight number with a change of equipment halfway through, which in my opinion the DOT should move to stop.
Old Aug 11, 15, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
JFK-BOS had the same flight number on my outward and return. Agree with the comments about the same number but equipment change. I noticed MXP-JFK on a 767 and then JFK-BOS on a 737 have the flight number.
Old Aug 11, 15, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Unless you're doing a mileage run, why would AA100 ABC-DEF turning around to AA100 DEF-ABC be confusing to anyone?
Old Aug 11, 15, 10:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's very common this year, and though they have the same flight number outbound and inbound will count as separate flights. Today, both inbound DFW-SAT and outbound SAT-DFW had the same flight number. This has been discussed extensively - it's no problem.
Old Aug 12, 15, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold
When I am doing a mileage run it is convenient to take the same flight numbers outbound and return.

I did this DFW-BOS 2 times last year to get the 5000 I needed at the end of the year.

Even had the same seats in First both ways.
Old Aug 12, 15, 4:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by a_fman View Post
For your reference: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Aug 13, 15, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
Or they could do what LUS did/does on many flights and have the same aircraft operate both legs, like US516 running MCO-PHX-SMF. Much less confusing than having the outbound and return flights run under the same flight number, and much less misleading than having the same flight number with a change of equipment halfway through, which in my opinion the DOT should move to stop.
I used to fly SJC-LAX-SNA on a flight with the same flight number.
It cost $5 more than the nonstop. I don't remember if I was trying to get EQS or EQMs, or maybe just the 1000 RDMs... One time we lost the plane to another flight at LAX because the original aircraft for that flight went MX, and the 5 passengers for SNA were taken by van.

Search this Thread