FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Standoff at DCA: Who opens the door? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1701570-standoff-dca-who-opens-door.html)

rjw242 Aug 10, 2015 5:05 pm

Standoff at DCA: Who opens the door?

Being near the front of AA 2192 ORD-DCA today, I was witness to a rather unusual interaction between the FAs and GAs. We landed and taxied to the gate uneventfully, the jetbridge was brought to the door, the FA turned the handle and left the door ajar. Then it all went off the rails:

- the GA asked the FAs to help them open the door.

- the FA said they were only supposed to crack the door and the GAs were supposed to open it.

- the GAs refused to open it.

- the two FAs confirmed with each other that they'd just received the policy by email this morning, and furthermore, "doesn't that door look cracked to you?"

- passengers continue to wait to be let off the already-delayed flight.

- FA asks the pilots to tell the GAs that it's their job to open the door.

- lots more discussion on cracking vs opening duties, attempts to bring up emails, etc.

- FO comes out, asks what's going on. FA explains it again.

- FO opens the door himself and we're finally free to leave.

All in all we sat there maybe 5 minutes while they fought it out, so it's not the end of the world, but still a bit frustrating. Is this actually a minor policy change? And why the territorialism?

krlcomm Aug 10, 2015 5:11 pm

Standoff at DCA: Who opens the door?

There is something going on in the FA world at AA, don't know what but something is up. Service levels on the slide big time... Of course that's my opinion but based on the posts I'm seeing here (again, not very scientific, I know!) others are seeing it too.

CodeAdam10 Aug 10, 2015 5:14 pm

There's something to be said about airing your dirty laundry in front of your customers. Pathetic behavior.

DevilDawg1960 Aug 10, 2015 5:37 pm

Thanks to the FO, whose job duties clearly do not include anything with opening the door, for stepping in and solving the problem. I hope that her/his actions showed the others involved the pettiness of the issue and that he made a report of this childish behavior. Thanks FO for leadership by example.

cmd320 Aug 10, 2015 5:55 pm

How ridiculous. Had I been standing up there I would have just offered to open the door myself. As long as the door is verified disarmed, what's the big deal? :rolleyes:

AANYC1981 Aug 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Very professional!

TheSkyGuy Aug 10, 2015 6:52 pm

99% of the time when I've been close enough to see the door be opened. The GA knocks and the FA gives them a "thumbs up" and the GA opens the door. Sometimes the FA will give a helpful push from the inside. I think this also can change from aircraft to aircraft, etc.

onesocalkid Aug 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 25251100)
Very professional!

Seriously. How rediculous is this going to get? Maybe a potential add-on purchase at the kiosk can be "quickly opened door upon arrival" or "gateway extension surcharge" so that we can have some reasonable service.

sluggoaafa Aug 10, 2015 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242 (Post 25250626)
Being near the front of AA 2192 ORD-DCA today, I was witness to a rather unusual interaction between the FAs and GAs. We landed and taxied to the gate uneventfully, the jetbridge was brought to the door, the FA turned the handle and left the door ajar. Then it all went off the rails:

- the GA asked the FAs to help them open the door.

- the FA said they were only supposed to crack the door and the GAs were supposed to open it.

S80 and 737: when there is a bracket, FAs 'Crack-it'. (FAs crack the door, agent opens rest of the way)
all other planes: 'when there is a lever, never'. (Agents always open the door)

rjw242 Aug 10, 2015 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa (Post 25251302)
S80 and 737: when there is a bracket, FAs 'Crack-it'. (FAs crack the door, agent opens rest of the way)
all other planes: 'when there is a lever, never'. (Agents always open the door)

Thanks for the insider mnemonic :)

Do you know the underlying reason? Some kind of safety issue?

sluggoaafa Aug 10, 2015 7:43 pm

S80 and 737 there is a slide/life-raft which must be attached/unattached to the brackets on the floor. Red Flag is placed over the viewing window so agent or caterer knows the slide/life-rafts are attached, and they don't open the door causing an inadvertent deployment.

757/767/777/787 - the slide/life-rafts can be disabled on the outside when the agent opens the door, however for consistency, FAs still 'disarm' the slide/life-raft from the lever inside.

There have been new procedures that have come into play within the last year, and many FAs and agents are still having difficulties with the procedures.

However, upon arrival, FAs never open the doors when there is a lever, but must only 'crack' the door on the S80/737.

arlflyer Aug 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Possible case of pmUS and pmAA staff running into each other?

akarneboge Aug 10, 2015 8:46 pm

This is hilarious. And really pathetic.

skylady Aug 11, 2015 12:34 am

FAs only open doors in an emergency. We crack it when bracket, but never actually open the door in normal operations. We now close the door, so GAs are getting confused on the new policy.:D

jona970318 Aug 11, 2015 5:57 am

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa (Post 25251363)
However, upon arrival, FAs never open the doors when there is a lever, but must only 'crack' the door on the S80/737.

What would happen if the FA opens it all the way? Do they get written up or something?