How easy/fast is transfer at PVG from AA to KA without checked bags?

Old Aug 8, 15, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP, MVP
Question How easy/fast is transfer at PVG from AA to KA without checked bags?

Hi,

I'm planning a final MR on AA (to complete 30K miles by 10/9 for Exec Plat for the 8 systemwide upgrades).

I could go visit a friend in Tokyo for the weekend 10/3-4, but a second cheaper option (~$700 vs ~$1000, depending on the economy seat premiums) is Hong Kong.

That routing is LAX - PVG - HKG - PVG - LAX. (~5.4cpm, assuming no miles on DragonAir!)
I fly AA to PVG arr. 4:10pm then need to transfer to KA flight dep. at 6:30pm. I'll have no checked bags and have both a US and UK passport (anticipate leaving US on US passport). So is that transfer in Shanghai doable and preferably free? What are the complications that I need to consider?

If it looks "too risky", I'll just do the Tokyo run. I get enough miles and it's easy! Advice welcome!

Thanks - I'm sure somebody out there knows the in's and out's of PVG!
Old Aug 8, 15, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation/685914-shanghai-pvg-connection-advice-aa-7.html
Old Aug 8, 15, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP, MVP
That was easier than expected!!

Thanks Adam1222!

So it looks like it's easy. Just look for the CX/KA "side door" in transit, and have a printed copy of my itinerary, not just the e-ticket, in case somebody "official" needs to check something out.

OK - so we just have to decide if it's a weekend in Tokyo or Hong Kong. Life is full of tough choices...!
Old Aug 8, 15, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Just to add, you won't leave the US on either passport, because there are no emigration controls leaving the US. As a source of identification at the gate, you can use whichever passport you access first.
Old Aug 9, 15, 3:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
2:20 transit is plenty in PVG assuming no inbound delay. In the worst case, you will be protected onto the next flight since you're traveling on two oneworld carriers. Why don't you route LAX-DFW-HKG for more miles and a better product(iirc LAX-PVG is still by 772?)
Old Aug 10, 15, 9:24 am

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP
Do you need Miles or Points?

Originally Posted by gmmscott View Post
Hi,

I'm planning a final MR on AA (to complete 30K miles by 10/9 for Exec Plat for the 8 systemwide upgrades).
Do please double-check whether you need 30K EQMs (Miles) or 30K EQPs (Points) as they are in no way equivalent. EQMs are always equivalent to the miles flown, whereas EQPs range from 0.5 per mile to 1.5 per mile flown (with bonus points on top of that for paid Business or First).

Most challenges require EQPs, not EQMs, and most challenges exclude bonus EQPs from that count as well, just to make it more confusing

I'd hate for you to do a mileage run like that and not qualify!
Old Aug 10, 15, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid View Post
Do please double-check whether you need 30K EQMs (Miles) or 30K EQPs (Points) as they are in no way equivalent.
There's a targeted EXP challenge out there right now for 30,000 miles over 90 days. Here's one blogger taking AA up on it:
http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea....light-choices/
Old Aug 10, 15, 4:19 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
For the last several months there have been significant delays/cancellations on flights within China departing/arriving from PVG and PEK. What used to be a doable 2-3 hour connection can now be very inadequate to connect to/from. These are causing significant problems with those connecting to/from international flights and for those on quick mileage runs. There are existing threads on this issue in the CX and China forums.
Old Aug 10, 15, 5:28 pm

Your biggest concern should be related to delays on pvg-hkg-pvg segments. Those are routinely delayed by many hours so make sure your connection after those segments allow for that.
Read cx subforum for details.

Search this Thread