International Online Check-In Issue

Old Aug 5, 15, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum Pro, AAirpass; Hilton Diamond; Bonvoy Gold
International Online Check-In Issue

I'm a platinum AAirpass AAdvantage member flying to Milan tomorrow on AA and have had a mileage upgrade waitlisted since April.

When I went to check-in 24 hours prior to departure it gave me an error saying I can't check-in because I'm traveling with an infant (which I'm not). When I called the platinum desk they said I'm getting this error because I'm waitlisted for an upgrade and need to check-in at the airport.

I've traveled extensively on AA and never had this issue. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Aug 7, 15, 7:20 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I wasn't able to check-in for a flight today and flights earlier this week. Both times said I needed agent assistance. Check-in at the airport was no different than normal. Not sure what the issue is.
Old Aug 7, 15, 7:25 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
I had a few issues with this recently as well flying between HKG-DFW. I had an upgrade waitlisted from biz to first.
Old Aug 9, 15, 3:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
My mom, who's exp also had an issue flying to the US(non-US citizen). The agent said that she would have to checkin at the airport for visa verification
Old Aug 9, 15, 6:10 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by FLYDCA View Post
I had a few issues with this recently as well flying between HKG-DFW. I had an upgrade waitlisted from biz to first.
had the reverse happen (DFW HKG) in biz on a one way
agents at the airport claimed it was to "check visa status"
Old Aug 9, 15, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by luckypierre View Post
had the reverse happen (DFW HKG) in biz on a one way
agents at the airport claimed it was to "check visa status"

Online checkin is still not permitted on HKG itineraries.
Old Aug 9, 15, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Weirdest one of these I had recently was because the system was apparently showing a need to check the visa in my UK passport for a flight from the USA to the UK...
Old Aug 9, 15, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post

Learned this one last week too
Old Aug 10, 15, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Is this the case for all pax?
Old Aug 10, 15, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jona970318 View Post
Is this the case for all pax?

To the best of my knowledge, yes--even though no visa is required for US passport holders to enter Hong Kong.
Old Aug 10, 15, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK other airlines allow OLCI for USA citizens traveling to HKG.
Old Aug 11, 15, 5:11 am

To the best of my knowledge, yes--even though no visa is required for US passport holders to enter Hong Kong.
This really stinks. I've personally had no problem OLCI for my flights leaving PRC, Korea, and departing for Japan(continuing onwards to HKG). Interesting that this is unique for HKG. I wonder why that is
Old Aug 11, 15, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
AFAIK other airlines allow OLCI for USA citizens traveling to HKG.
Yes they do. As far as anyone can tell, AA just transferred over the coding from their PEK flights and never bothered to correct it for the fact that visas aren't required for US citizens to HKG. It's been this way since they started the HKG flight.
Old Aug 11, 15, 2:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Weirdest one of these I had recently was because the system was apparently showing a need to check the visa in my UK passport for a flight from the USA to the UK...
It wasn't; the agent was misreading the response. The travel document verification system was updated back in March with the idea of minimizing immigration fines, but the responses aren't always intuitive and it's confused many agents.

The system reads Timatic and then either says the passenger is good to go or asks the agent to confirm or override anything. In some cases, like the UK, where a visa is technically required for US citizens, if the requirements for visa exemption are met, instead of showing this:

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 6 months:
- for nationals of USA;
- Period of stay will be determined by Immigration Officer on
arrival.
It'll just show this, with an option to confirm:

Visa
It's completely counter intuitive unless the agent is familiar/comfortable with Timatic and knows how to read it. I've had (contracted) agents ask me if a Brazilian national needed a visa to go to Brazil, which took a lot of self-control to not respond to with an eye roll.
Old Aug 11, 15, 8:44 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
Yes they do. As far as anyone can tell, AA just transferred over the coding from their PEK flights and never bothered to correct it for the fact that visas aren't required for US citizens to HKG. It's been this way since they started the HKG flight.
That's lazy on AA's part-it was no big deal when I checked in at the counter-the agent seemed to know that American citizens did not require a visa-but I wonder if other passengers might be more inconvenienced by agents wanting to establish a visa connection.

Search this Thread