FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Airbus 319/321 - Difference between v1 & v2? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1700159-airbus-319-321-difference-between-v1-v2.html)

Sant Aug 4, 2015 11:19 am

Airbus 319/321 - Difference between v1 & v2?

For my upcoming AA-operated flight, I was viewing the inflight entertainment options. According to SeatGuru, the plane is the A321 v2. The US Airways version of the Airbus planes offer streaming video rather than in-seat video/radio. I'd have preferred to be on the AA version which doesn't require me to bring an iPad to watch a movie.

Does the lack of inflight entertainment mean there is more space underneath the seats? Isn't the metallic box underneath the economy seats housing the entertainment system? In Economy, are there other differences between the two versions? Do folks have a preference between v1 or v2?

ThreeJulietTango Aug 4, 2015 4:12 pm

If it's an AA-operated flight pre-10/17, your aircraft will have AVOD, Wi-Fi, and power outlets.

SeatGuru's "Version 1" is the A321T (transcontinental) used exclusively on JFK-LAX/SFO, whereas "Version 2" is the A321S (standard) used on all other flights.

AAerSTL Aug 5, 2015 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sant (Post 25220093)
For my upcoming AA-operated flight, I was viewing the inflight entertainment options. According to SeatGuru, the plane is the A321 v2. The US Airways version of the Airbus planes offer streaming video rather than in-seat video/radio. I'd have preferred to be on the AA version which doesn't require me to bring an iPad to watch a movie.

Does the lack of inflight entertainment mean there is more space underneath the seats? Isn't the metallic box underneath the economy seats housing the entertainment system? In Economy, are there other differences between the two versions? Do folks have a preference between v1 or v2?

Just to be clear and so your expectations are set appropriately: on the AA 32S/319/321T/73A (in Y-cabin) the vast majority of the content is chargeable. Aside from the moving 3-D maps, NBC Universal on American, and other AA-related content everything else is chargeable.

The underseat space is slightly better than the 73A but the equipment box occupies much of the space.

Sant Aug 5, 2015 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 25227052)
Just to be clear and so your expectations are set appropriately: on the AA 32S/319/321T/73A (in Y-cabin) the vast majority of the content is chargeable. Aside from the moving 3-D maps, NBC Universal on American, and other AA-related content everything else is chargeable.

Movies are no longer free? When I flew domestic last year, content was free but the earphones were $5 if folks needed them.

AAerSTL Aug 6, 2015 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sant (Post 25227519)
Movies are no longer free? When I flew domestic last year, content was free but the earphones were $5 if folks needed them.

Some content is free, but there are several bundles you can buy.

Sant Aug 6, 2015 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 25231743)
Some content is free, but there are several bundles you can buy.

You're referring only to the inflight streaming, right?

Browse our inflight library of movies and television shows which can be streamed to your personal device. We also have free NBCUniversal programming and for a limited time, a selection of six free movies available for all flights with streaming video.
On their site, I don't see any mention of the in-seat movies having a charge.