Search

If DL can do it, why not AA [PDB & priority baggage]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP

Flew home last night on DL in paid F, was cheaper than Y in AA/US albeit as an EXP likely would have been upgraded. FAs waded through a crowded boarding to do PDBs along with a small bottle of water provided for each F seat. At MIA checked bags with Priority Tags actually came out first and bags were coming out on the belt by the time I walked down to baggage claim (about 7 minutes). With AA, and particularly at MIA, priority tags are totally ignored and I have never had less than a 30 minute wait for bags. So if DL can pull this off why, not AA?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
So, in other words, why can't AA be more like US? (OK, trolling just a little bit, but US is very good at the priority tag handling ...)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Most places I fly to tagged bags come out first. There are exceptions.. not sure if they are related to late flights etc
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:38 am

They probably could if they wanted to. I think they just choose not to.

Alternatively, there may be so few bags on the plane, that it all fits on the same tractor cart. So there is no difference in delivery between priority and general. This is still in line with what AA says is Priority Baggage - "and when you arrive at your destination, they’ll be among the first delivered to the baggage claim area."
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:44 am

Some AA employees follow the company's procedures and some don't; I am sure DL has the same issue. You'll find inconsistency at any airline. I flew SIN-FRA-JFK yesterday in SQ Suites, one of the most vaunted products in the sky, and sure enough, the SIN-FRA crew was horrible, failing to do a lot of service elements they are supposed to do (storing the larger carry-on in a compartment under the stairs, providing a hanger and then hanging clothes when a passenger changes, etc.), while the FRA-JFK crew was amazing and did everything top-notch.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by DCAstudent
Some AA employees follow the company's procedures and some don't
Undoubtedly true, but on my (non insignificant) number of domestic F legs on pmAA, DL, and pmUS over the past several years, pmAA comes in dead last on the PDB front.

As far as priority tagged bags on pmAA, I'm have had 90%+ success with those coming out first.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP; Hilton Gold (Citi Card); Priority Pass (Citi Prestige); Nexus/Global Entry/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by superweak
So, in other words, why can't AA be more like US? (OK, trolling just a little bit, but US is very good at the priority tag handling ...)
Perhaps with the merger this will improve. Is it not true that US was the stronger airline, but AA had better name recognition, which is the only reason they kept the AA name?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I flew DL for the first time in a while, just a few weeks ago. I would never, ever with AA to operate like DL. Yes, bags got there quickly. That benefit doesn't come close to making up for the many deficiencies.

Expecting every company to match the best parts of every other company is not realistic.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:24 pm

I'm flying delta f/c tomorrow. Will be interesting to see the differences
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
As far as priority tagged bags on pmAA, I'm have had 90%+ success with those coming out first.
The "which bags come out first" question seems a real second order distraction in the DL vs AA bag-handling discussion. Delta, along with Alaska, now guarantees you get your bag within 20 minutes of arriving at the gate. I don't check bags on AA that often, but I honestly don't remember a single flight where any bags had started to be delivered within 20 minutes, much less all of them. Last time I checked bags on AA, it took over an hour for the first bag to hit the carousel.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Flew home last night on DL in paid F, was cheaper than Y in AA/US albeit as an EXP likely would have been upgraded. FAs waded through a crowded boarding to do PDBs along with a small bottle of water provided for each F seat. At MIA checked bags with Priority Tags actually came out first and bags were coming out on the belt by the time I walked down to baggage claim (about 7 minutes). With AA, and particularly at MIA, priority tags are totally ignored and I have never had less than a 30 minute wait for bags. So if DL can pull this off why, not AA?
It is all out of their collective enormous guilt for the $hitty FF program, they don't really mean it, lol...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:08 pm
Suspended

I thought AA specifically eliminated priority baggage on domestic flights years ago except JFK-LAX/SFO-MIA?

Or did they restore it?

PDBs as we know are a required service element AA's FAs seem to ignore.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
It comes down to accountability. If management doesn't hold themselves or their employees to a standard, what reason do the employees have to maintain consistent service levels? The recurring theme at AA since last year has been inconsistency and apathy.

It's really convenient when DL F is cheaper than AA Y, and it's been happening more and more for me now. The funny thing is I'll actually pay for DL F, but I won't buy F on AA anymore.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
...The funny thing is I'll actually pay for DL F, but I won't buy F on AA anymore.
What the funny part of that?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
It's funny/sad because some of us used to actually pay for F on AA.....not anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.