FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Any Disadvantage to Buying Frankenstein AA Tickets from Expedia? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1698654-any-disadvantage-buying-frankenstein-aa-tickets-expedia.html)

inpd Jul 29, 2015 9:57 am

Any Disadvantage to Buying Frankenstein AA Tickets from Expedia?

Hi,

I try to fly AA as much as possible but sometimes there last flight out isn't late enough for example.

In that situation I'm leaning towards buying a ticket from Expedia where the outbound flight is AA and the inbound flight is something like UA.

Can anyone forsee any issues with doing this?

SJC AA Jul 29, 2015 10:06 am

May not be able to upgrade, depending on who issues the ticket.

For many domestic routes, there is no advantage to buying a round trip. That is, buying two one-ways would be the same price. Might be worth checking if that is the case with this itinerary

SeeBuyFly Jul 29, 2015 10:22 am

No, a ticket is a ticket. Even if you were connecting from AA to UA, that would have been fine and your luggage would be transferred if applicable since it's the same ticket.

The only disadvantage is that you'll have to fly UA.

Microwave Jul 29, 2015 10:58 am

Originally Posted by SJC AA (Post 25190884)

Is that the case? I thought sticker upgrades could be requested for flights ticketed on any stock, since a cleared upgrade does not require ticket reissue...

SJC AA Jul 29, 2015 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 25191158)
Is that the case? I thought sticker upgrades could be requested for flights ticketed on any stock, since a cleared upgrade does not require ticket reissue...

I was thinking of instrument-supported upgrades.

M60_to_LGA Jul 29, 2015 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA (Post 25190884)

Huh? I buy off of Expedia all the time, sometimes via "Frankenstein" tickets to use the OP's term, and upgrading (with 500-mile certificates, or otherwise) has never been a problem.

AA-Flyer-SAN Jul 29, 2015 1:14 pm

It has to be an AA issued ticket (001 stock) in order to upgrade though. Since its two different carriers the op needs to ensure AA issues the ticket and not UA during purchase.

M60_to_LGA Jul 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN (Post 25191824)
It has to be an AA issued ticket (001 stock) in order to upgrade though. Since its two different carriers the op needs to ensure AA issues the ticket and not UA during purchase.

The OP will get two separate ticket numbers, and two separate reference locators, for the purchase.

One will be for the AA segment(s) and will be issued by AA.

The other will be for the UA segment(s) and will be issued by UA.

This isn't a codeshare situation; it's just Expedia mixing a one-way AA ticket outbound with a one-way UA ticket inbound.

ThreeJulietTango Jul 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA (Post 25192171)
The OP will get two separate ticket numbers, and two separate reference locators, for the purchase.

One will be for the AA segment(s) and will be issued by AA.

The other will be for the UA segment(s) and will be issued by UA.

This isn't a codeshare situation; it's just Expedia mixing a one-way AA ticket outbound with a one-way UA ticket inbound.

Not necessarily. I've purchased similar tickets on Expedia and gotten only one ticket issued on the stock of the first marketing carrier.

Antarius Aug 2, 2015 4:47 pm

what is a frankenstein AA ticket?

rjw242 Aug 2, 2015 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 25211468)
what is a frankenstein AA ticket?

Even a cursory read of the OP is recommended before asking a question like that:

Originally Posted by inpd (Post 25190824)
... where the outbound flight is AA and the inbound flight is something like UA.

MSPeconomist Aug 2, 2015 4:55 pm

If it's the same price, why not buy a one way ticket from AA and a one way ticket from UA? The only disadvantage would be double change/cancellation fees if your trip needs to be changed.

ThreeJulietTango Aug 4, 2015 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25211488)
If it's the same price, why not buy a one way ticket from AA and a one way ticket from UA? The only disadvantage would be double change/cancellation fees if your trip needs to be changed.

Especially if the value of the separate tickets is less than their respective change fees.

Is it possible to ask Expedia to issue on a specific airline's stock? I think they go with the stock of the first carrier on the itinerary by default, at least from what I've seen.

smorris76 Aug 7, 2015 8:48 am

I used to Google Flights to price and then book a ticket ORD-SFO with outbound on AA and return on UA on UA ticket stock. I was charged $25 to get a seat assignment over the phone.