Upgrade status for companions if I cancel my ticket?

Old Jul 26, 15, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade status for companions if I cancel my ticket?

My family (4 of us all together) are booked to fly PEK>DFW next Saturday and are currently on the upgrade waitlist to J (miles+copay) Unfortunately my business plans have changed and I will be cancelling my ticket.

Does anyone know what will happen to our place on the upgrade list? I am EXP, wife and two kids are G. So I think they will get pushed down to my wife's status, correct?

What if I wait until the last minute and all upgrades clear then I cancel my ticket (at the airport that day if needed). Would that preserve the upgrades for them or would they immediately pull the upgrades and put them on the last minute upgrade request.
Old Jul 27, 15, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Doug Walston View Post
My family (4 of us all together) are booked to fly PEK>DFW next Saturday and are currently on the upgrade waitlist to J (miles+copay) Unfortunately my business plans have changed and I will be cancelling my ticket.

Does anyone know what will happen to our place on the upgrade list? I am EXP, wife and two kids are G. So I think they will get pushed down to my wife's status, correct?

What if I wait until the last minute and all upgrades clear then I cancel my ticket (at the airport that day if needed). Would that preserve the upgrades for them or would they immediately pull the upgrades and put them on the last minute upgrade request.
When your PNR is split to allow you to cancel, your companions lose your status. Your best bet is to wait until T-4 or so and hope the upgrade clears - then split and cancel and their upgrades will stay intact.
Old Jul 27, 15, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
When your PNR is split to allow you to cancel, your companions lose your status. Your best bet is to wait until T-4 or so and hope the upgrade clears - then split and cancel and their upgrades will stay intact.
Thanks, Reeg. That's the plan then.
Old Jul 27, 15, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Hmm.. definitely EXP means higher priority -- but how about the fact that if you cancel your ticket now, it will now be a party of 3.

I guess my question is will a party of 3 as Gold mean a lower or higher chance of upgrade versus a party of 4 as EXP?
Old Jul 28, 15, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh View Post
Hmm.. definitely EXP means higher priority -- but how about the fact that if you cancel your ticket now, it will now be a party of 3.

I guess my question is will a party of 3 as Gold mean a lower or higher chance of upgrade versus a party of 4 as EXP?
Hmmm. Good question. I guess I assumed that the EXP trumped one extra seat. Currently J is showing 10 available, and its been that way at least since last week when I started checking.

I think I'll wait it out and monitor the seat situation until either we clear or its clear that it will be close.
Old Jul 28, 15, 2:30 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Hmmm. Good question. I guess I assumed that the EXP trumped one extra seat. Currently J is showing 10 available, and its been that way at least since last week when I started checking.

I think I'll wait it out and monitor the seat situation until either we clear or its clear that it will be close.
How do you know that J has 10 available? If you are looking at the seatmap, then this might be inaccurate.
Old Jul 29, 15, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B7e7US View Post
How do you know that J has 10 available? If you are looking at the seatmap, then this might be inaccurate.
Yes, I was just using the seat availability map I called the EXP desk and the best they could tell me is that J is 75% full (28 seats total, 7 or 8 open) Seat map currently shows 8 open.

Still a chance. Of course they couldn't (wouldn't) tell me how many other EXPs are in line with me.
Old Jul 30, 15, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Yes, I was just using the seat availability map I called the EXP desk and the best they could tell me is that J is 75% full (28 seats total, 7 or 8 open) Seat map currently shows 8 open.

Still a chance. Of course they couldn't (wouldn't) tell me how many other EXPs are in line with me.
Hmmm. If that is AA88 it is looking ugly. J1. and Y0. With 7 open on the map that could mean AA has pulled 6 seats from J to hold open if Y is oversold. They could be oversold by 10-15 even. They will sell one J at full fare, otherwise they will rely on no-shows and move 6 people from Y>J.

The paid seats in Y are sparsely filled, which is good news. Less competition. Of course the thing you'd want to know is what was that like the day YOU requested the upgrades. If the paid seats were totally open on that day, then today you will likely be near the top.. How long ago did you request?

There is a good thread on odds of waitlist clearing....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

I wouldnt expect them to clear this until the day of departure. Hang tight until then.

Im not sure if you can check them in but not yourself?

Anyone know this answer??
Old Jul 30, 15, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
Im not sure if you can check them in but not yourself?

Anyone know this answer??
They can check in independently.

Search this Thread