Buying R/T, mixed class, for one way

Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold

I've been searching the forum for a similar example, but haven't yet found one.

Need to fly TLV-DFW in early December. Been looking at one ways, but since AA just merged in all the US flights, the OW fare jumped from $1600 (Y) to $2495 (Y).

One way J is $3900.

I priced a RT where TLV-DFW in Biz (I) and a return in Econ was $2700. I obviously would not use the return. The full RT in Biz would be around $4300.

Has anyone ever done this kind of thing - mixing classes of service and not flying the return in the lower class?

Wondering how AA might deal with this? I would just no show on the return. Anyone think I could get penalized down the road?

My other thought was to use the return in Y on a future ticket. So I would have appx a $1600 "credit" (minus change fees). I could just book the return way out - like Feb. or something, then I could have the flexibility to use it for Jan/Feb TATL travels.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:31 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
This is very into the weeds. Someone who is currently a travel agent (perhaps a Corporate Travel Agent) would be best suited to answer this - as that would be where something like this would tend to come up.

I'm going nevertheless going to venture a 'guess.'

If you use the return later to head back to TLV in coach you'll likely pay only the change fee for a new return date -depending on fare rules.

If you want to bust the return and apply it say to DFW-HKG or something, I think they are likely to reprice the inbound at the oneway price, charge you the change fee and allow you to apply the remaining difference to the new ticket.

It would be interesting to hear what the right answer is.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nyc6035
If you want to bust the return and apply it say to DFW-HKG or something, I think they are likely to reprice the inbound at the oneway price, charge you the change fee and allow you to apply the remaining difference to the new ticket.

It would be interesting to hear what the right answer is.
Thanks for taking a stab at this. I've had the same thought if I tried to apply the return to a future trip - that the outbound could get repriced and I would get hit.

So far, I think my best gamble is to just no-show on the return segment.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
First, I would suggest scheduling the return out quite a ways (many months). Then monitor the flight(s) for a significant schedule change and request a refund. Should you decided you need to use the return, then moving the date should save you some money.

Their pricing structure does get very confusing. It's way beyond cost based and must be an interesting process to try to make any sense out of it. Bottom line is they are looking after their bottom line.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
First, I would suggest scheduling the return out quite a ways (many months). Then monitor the flight(s) for a significant schedule change and request a refund. Should you decided you need to use the return, then moving the date should save you some money.

Their pricing structure does get very confusing. It's way beyond cost based and must be an interesting process to try to make any sense out of it. Bottom line is they are looking after their bottom line.
Thanks, my thought was to book the return out a ways as well - to give some flexibility.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

AA charges 67.5K miles for a one-way award in J TLV-DFW. When AA is running a sale on miles, you should be able to buy the necessary miles for ~ $1,500.

Finding SAAver J award seats might be tough, but I'd look at TLV-MAD-DFW on IB/AA; TLV-LHR-DFW on BA/AA (check the surcharges on the TLV-LHR leg); or TLV-AMM-XXX-DFW on RJ/AA, if you don't mind the extra connection.

I suspect that finding a SAAver J seat on AA's TLV-PHL flight will be very difficult.

Note that AA will let you put award seats on hold for free, so you don't have to buy any miles unless and until you actually find award seats.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

AA charges 67.5K miles for a one-way award in J TLV-DFW. When AA is running a sale on miles, you should be able to buy the necessary miles for ~ $1,500.

Finding SAAver J award seats might be tough, but I'd look at TLV-MAD-DFW on IB/AA; TLV-LHR-DFW on BA/AA (check the surcharges on the TLV-LHR leg); or TLV-AMM-XXX-DFW on RJ/AA, if you don't mind the extra connection.

I suspect that finding a SAAver J seat on AA's TLV-PHL flight will be very difficult.

Note that AA will let you put award seats on hold for free, so you don't have to buy any miles unless and until you actually find award seats.
I would definitely just do that... but I have to requalify for EXP and need the EQM ha!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Sorry to hijack but is there a way on the AA website to price J on one leg and Y on the other? Or do you use something else?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckendall
Sorry to hijack but is there a way on the AA website to price J on one leg and Y on the other? Or do you use something else?
Anytime you search by "Price and Schedule" it gives you this option, yes. I've done it many times for lots of trips.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by econometrics
Anytime you search by "Price and Schedule" it gives you this option, yes. I've done it many times for lots of trips.
Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by econometrics
Wondering how AA might deal with this? I would just no show on the return. Anyone think I could get penalized down the road?

My other thought was to use the return in Y on a future ticket. So I would have appx a $1600 "credit" (minus change fees). I could just book the return way out - like Feb. or something, then I could have the flexibility to use it for Jan/Feb TATL travels.
People miss flights all the time, as long as you don't do it every other week you'll have no problems. I'd definitely book the return out to a date when you might be able to use it, but if you end up throwing it away you'll be fine.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Heres a tip....

You want TLV-DFW in biz, right?

To get the whole ticket to fare, you are looking for a 'sacrificial return'.

The trick it to find the cheapest return that satisfies the outbound fare rule. So perhaps you do NOT need DFW-TLV. Is there some city other than TLV that would make it an open jaw and still allow the outbound to price? Saw DFW-LHR? DFW- ????

or an open jaw on the other end: TLV-DFW in J, but then JFK-TLV for return.

The benefit of this is sometimes you can find a much cheaper fare for other city pairs

It is the rar travel agent that will look for and find this stuff...but they're out there. Also, if you use an agent they can simply cancel that last leg (instead of no show) and the ticket just eventually lapses.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Heres a tip....

You want TLV-DFW in biz, right?

To get the whole ticket to fare, you are looking for a 'sacrificial return'.

The trick it to find the cheapest return that satisfies the outbound fare rule. So perhaps you do NOT need DFW-TLV. Is there some city other than TLV that would make it an open jaw and still allow the outbound to price? Saw DFW-LHR? DFW- ????

or an open jaw on the other end: TLV-DFW in J, but then JFK-TLV for return.

The benefit of this is sometimes you can find a much cheaper fare for other city pairs

It is the rar travel agent that will look for and find this stuff...but they're out there. Also, if you use an agent they can simply cancel that last leg (instead of no show) and the ticket just eventually lapses.
Thanks for this. I've never spent too much time looking into the open jaws, but looks like I should for this one. ^
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd make a guess that TLV-LHR won't work, but to JFK or BOS or PHL or WAS might be a good bet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.