Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA.com no longer allows close-in booking (ie within a few hours)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

I just noticed when searching for some same day travel, that AA.com displays "not available online"

It is 4:18PM in ORD- looking ORD-DTW today the 5:45PM departure shows this. The 6:40PM shows $480.

Given their miserable phone support, if a 'civilian' (lets not say kettle) was trying to book a flight theyd be SOL.

(If this has been discussed, please merge or delete.)

For elites or those with travel agents, they can get around that. (Although Ive been known to book backup via gogoinflight myself)

Is this new? or have I just missed this?

Thoughts?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
What's so miserable about the phone support? Wait times can be long when there are significant WX issues, but during normal operations it's not that bad.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I wonder if this is tacit acknowledgment that aa.com's lack of real time ticketing could mean people have initiated purchases but not been issued tickets at the deadline before schedule departure.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
It may be that AA considered this is a functionality that wasn't necessary. If you're trying to make a purchase so close to departure, one should already be at the airport and I'm sure you can find AA agents that can sell you a ticket there. Thus, they may not have considered this a case where they need to enable online sales for. Add to that the generally sluggish ticketing process AA uses and you may have answered your question.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the fee for ticketing at the airport counter?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by jaimelannister
What's so miserable about the phone support? .
Oh. OK

For me, phenomenal. Not so much for lower tiers, based on recent reports....

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
It may be that AA considered this is a functionality that wasn't necessary. If you're trying to make a purchase so close to departure, one should already be at the airport and I'm sure you can find AA agents that can sell you a ticket there. Thus, they may not have considered this a case where they need to enable online sales for. Add to that the generally sluggish ticketing process AA uses and you may have answered your question.
My point is that this seems to be a change...

Or has this always been the case? I never recall seeing this on same day display.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
What's the fee for ticketing at the airport counter?
$0 AFAIK
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:28 pm

I thought there was a $35 fee (more for intl.) for ticketing at the counter.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I wonder if this is tacit acknowledgment that aa.com's lack of real time ticketing could mean people have initiated purchases but not been issued tickets at the deadline before schedule departure.
^ Neither AA.com nor Reservations can sell a ticket for flights departing within 2 hours because the tickets may not be issued prior to the check-in cutoff time. The process can be manually expedited with a phone call to eTDS, but it's time-consuming and AA's solution seems to be to simply prevent the sales from happening altogether.

Considering that US Airways offers instant ticketing, I would hope that this functionality is somehow incorporated once we reach a single reservations system.

Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I thought there was a $35 fee (more for intl.) for ticketing at the counter.
$35 for domestic itineraries (including Canada), $45 for international itineraries. Fee is waived for Executive Platinum passengers and passengers who have already paid an AAdvantage expedite fee but were unable to have the ticket issued for whatever reason.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
^ Neither AA.com nor Reservations can sell a ticket for flights departing within 2 hours because the tickets may not be issued prior to the check-in cutoff time. The process can be manually expedited with a phone call to eTDS, but it's time-consuming and AA's solution seems to be to simply prevent the sales from happening altogether.

Considering that US Airways offers instant ticketing, I would hope that this functionality is somehow incorporated once we reach a single reservations system.
With the US flights merging in AA's systems, I certainly wouldn't hold out much hope for that one.

Being used to instant ticketing on US, this particular point feels like stepping back several decades in time. There are times I have spent very significant dollars on close in flights on US en route to the airport while in a taxi to the airport due to the a client emergency - I keep a separate suitcase in my office for this exact reason, and need it at least a half dozen times per year. The thought that the flights might not be ticketed in time without significant manual intervention in 2015 kind of blows my mind.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
I don't think this is a change with AA. IIRC, they never allowed you to book via the web less than 2 hours out. Calling reservations or in person at the counter was the only way to do last-minute tickets. Now it seems that the first method is unreliable. If this is important to you, I'd contact PAR/D and complain--last minute tickets make a lot of money and if enough people complain to justify the cost, they could at least add more help to the EXP line to service ticketing calls.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AA PLT
Not that it's the best solution, but can you still ticket via an OTA?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by iplaybass
I don't think this is a change with AA. IIRC, they never allowed you to book via the web less than 2 hours out. Calling reservations or in person at the counter was the only way to do last-minute tickets. Now it seems that the first method is unreliable. If this is important to you, I'd contact PAR/D and complain--last minute tickets make a lot of money and if enough people complain to justify the cost, they could at least add more help to the EXP line to service ticketing calls.
Agreed. The website is clear that you can't book more than two hours out:

Q: How soon before a flight can I book and purchase a ticket on aa.com?

A:
Your flight must leave at least two hours later than the time you purchase your ticket on aa.
This language has been on the website since at least 2009, so it's definitely not anything new.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Since there's no way to book within 2 hours without incurring the airport ticketing fee, is it possible to make the argument that it's no longer an "optional" fee at that point and should be included in the fare and taxed appropriately?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Since there's no way to book within 2 hours without incurring the airport ticketing fee, is it possible to make the argument that it's no longer an "optional" fee at that point and should be included in the fare and taxed appropriately?
I got off a plane three weeks ago, got a call to head somewhere else, and purchased at the desk 50 minutes prior to flight for no added fee.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by reeg2
I got off a plane three weeks ago, got a call to head somewhere else, and purchased at the desk 50 minutes prior to flight for no added fee.
Maybe part of the change that you no longer have to pay the fee for flights that can't be booked online. In my case I was booking Iberia award tickets for my 2 daughters shortly after the change was announced, so I had to remind the agent of the change. No phone fee was added. I don't remember if the change applied to all tickets, or just award tickets on partners that couldn't be booked online

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.