Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Size Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
Luggage Size Question

I'm flying out of Chicago soon to Berlin for our honeymoon on air berlin. We're flying AA to Chicago to catch that flight.

My wife would like to use a 29" Samsonite spinner. I fear it will be mighty close to the required 62". How strict are they if its a few inches over?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage
It depends on the bag, the station, and sometimes the behavior of the customer.

For example, MIA is becoming extremely strict with regard to overweight/oversize bags (51 pounds is no longer acceptable), but the agents usually only pull out the measuring tape for boxes or oddly-shaped bags. For an otherwise normal looking suitcase, I don't think you'll have a problem at ORD, but your mileage may vary.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
I think you'll just need to worry about weight - they check every bag. For size, I'm sure if it's close, they won't bat an eye.

I've been in the check-in line behind the Brazil flights which are notorious for massive luggage and never seen an agent measure.

But if I were you, I'd try to get her to size down to something more manageable. No person in history has ever been happy lugging massive luggage through Europe. It makes public transit a laughable experience and is likely to make your new-bride miserable. Or you'll be miserable when she can't handle it around cobble-stone roads and up stairs.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Would a 25" checked bag with a medium carry on duffel be more manageable?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are going for under 2 weeks, stick to carry-on. It just takes discipline. Self-sufficiency will make your trip so much more pleasant in a million different ways.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Going for 15 days.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cop35758
Going for 15 days.
Smaller checked bag, plus carry-on isn't a bad idea. Imagine when the airline loses the checked bag and plan accordingly.

A duffel bag plus backpack is also a good idea. The more you can get on your body, rather than having to roll, the better. Now, if you're being met by a car service and going straight to a hotel, then take whatever you want. If you're going to be on the move - think about how you'll actually be on the move.

I can typically go 2-3 weeks in a carry-on (like the Red Oxx Sky Train) and just do laundry / have it done 2-3 times. Would rather be light and nimble and repeat an outfit, rather than carry the kitchen sink.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I don't recommend such a large spinner case in Europe. They don't seem to work well on anything except a smooth, flat surface such as an airline concourse. Any irregularity in the surface catches the wheels and they tip over.

Trying to use such a suitcase on the journey I just made from Amsterdam airport to central city hotel: Airport to train (steps into train), then train outside to tram, then tram and across the block-paved streets to my hotel - that would be such a pain the posterior. I regularly see tourists from far away struggling with their large spinner cases here. Berlin's streets are not much more level.

Check a smaller bag, like a 23" to 25" or so, preferably not a spinner but with two large wheels, and keep the weight to under 23kg. You'll want to bring home some souvenirs. Air Berlin are an overgrown budget airline, so don't expect any mercy for overweight bags.

Meanwhile, for carryon, Air Berlin limit is 8-10kg so those who think they can carry on the kitchen sink and complete global expedition gear will be disappointed. Note particularly that passengers without OneWorld status and on a cheaper ticket are limited to one item.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Let her take whatever bags she wants that are allowed by the airline and use taxis to and from the airport. You can use public transport for all your sightseeing. My 2 cents,
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
These are all good points. If you are going to be moving around alot, pack smaller. If you're just going from airport to hotel and back to airport, you could pack heavier if needed. The point above about uneven sidewalks is huge in Europe - factor that into the mix.

How many times I would have to be moving the luggage would impact my choice here the most.

As a benchmark, I am going to Ireland in November/December. I'll probably take my 26" spinner, because the only places I have to move it are from the DUB airport to the train station, on the train, to the hotel in Galway, and then back. On previous trips where I have moved every 2-3 days for 2 weeks, packing lighter was a better choice.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
I don't recommend such a large spinner case in Europe. They don't seem to work well on anything except a smooth, flat surface such as an airline concourse. Any irregularity in the surface catches the wheels and they tip over.

Trying to use such a suitcase on the journey I just made from Amsterdam airport to central city hotel: Airport to train (steps into train), then train outside to tram, then tram and across the block-paved streets to my hotel - that would be such a pain the posterior. I regularly see tourists from far away struggling with their large spinner cases here. Berlin's streets are not much more level.

Check a smaller bag, like a 23" to 25" or so, preferably not a spinner but with two large wheels, and keep the weight to under 23kg. You'll want to bring home some souvenirs. Air Berlin are an overgrown budget airline, so don't expect any mercy for overweight bags.

Meanwhile, for carryon, Air Berlin limit is 8-10kg so those who think they can carry on the kitchen sink and complete global expedition gear will be disappointed. Note particularly that passengers without OneWorld status and on a cheaper ticket are limited to one item.
My email from British Airways concerning my Air Berlin ticket shows I can check 2 backs. Does this sound right? We're not flying first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.