7/1 maintenance issues systemwide

Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
7/1 maintenance issues systemwide

So....anyone else experience the fun of having 10 MD 80s go out of service in the AA system and a plethora of flights being delayed 2-3+ hours? Pilot came on the PA during the flight and apologized for one of the tougher days in the AA system. This was on a flight out of ORD at around 6pm that was delayed from an orig departure of 3pm.

Time for AA to retire these ludicrously old planes.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
They have been retiring the MD80s, in large numbers. AA had something like 350+ of them once upon at time and now has less than 120. They will all be gone within a few years.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Ask the UA flyers if new planes guarantee on-time flights.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:26 am

Do you mean 10 MD-80s were retired on one day or that they all decided to break at once?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kesco
So....anyone else experience the fun of having 10 MD 80s go out of service in the AA system and a plethora of flights being delayed 2-3+ hours? Pilot came on the PA during the flight and apologized for one of the tougher days in the AA system. This was on a flight out of ORD at around 6pm that was delayed from an orig departure of 3pm.

These ludicrously old plans are among the most comfortable planes AA has. Let's not rush their departure!

MX sucks, but that happens with new places as well; I was on the maiden voyage of one of the 787s a few weeks back that went MX.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by kesco
Realize that the newest MD-80s are younger than a number of AA's 737-800s.

Greg
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Hey last Saturday DFW had similar issues 2-3 hour delays. Our pilot said for an unknown reason the fuelers decided to take their merry sweet time fueling planes. When I asked him the name of the fuel company he wouldnt say.

Good thing I got on an earlier flight from LIT or Id have missed my DFW connection!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by jaimelannister
These ludicrously old plans are among the most comfortable planes AA has. Let's not rush their departure!

MX sucks, but that happens with new places as well; I was on the maiden voyage of one of the 787s a few weeks back that went MX.
And as an example, AA2334 ORD->DFW July 2 on the new 787 was cancelled for mechanical problems. The plane made it to ORD but couldn't leave again.

I hate to think how long it took to sort out the ensuing chaos. I managed to get on the next flight as #3 of 76 on the standby list, but all the flights for that day were F0Y0. Not to mention that I went from first on the 787 to a middle back seat on an MD80.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
And as an example, AA2334 ORD->DFW July 2 on the new 787 was cancelled for mechanical problems. The plane made it to ORD but couldn't leave again.

I hate to think how long it took to sort out the ensuing chaos. I managed to get on the next flight as #3 of 76 on the standby list, but all the flights for that day were F0Y0. Not to mention that I went from first on the 787 to a middle back seat on an MD80.
I've had worse luck on 2332 DFW-ORD (supposed to be 787, but it's been changed to different equipment a lot recently) lately than any of my MD-80 flights.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I was scheduled to fly on the first revenue flight of an A321 the week before last; checked the tail number originally assigned to my flight and it was a ship that had literally not flown since being delivered to AA 6 days before my scheduled flight.

Needless to say the brand new A321 was not ready and a delay ensued as a replacement plane on its way in from somewhere else was found by dispatch.

Ludicrously new airplanes are always prone to mechanical delays!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.